Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: laptop online price mistake ?

Reviews

It all depends what the end use will be for but personally, I would stay away from it.
    True i3 is a bit outdated, but 2019 chipset, 8GB RAM is loads, 1TB HDD these days when everything is stored in cloud is a massive overkill.
    Pain point can become processsor speed in combination with HDD.
    "Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-1005G1 Processor 1.2 GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz, 2 cores)" Most phones these days have better processing speed and you should not realy belooking at buying anything that has less then 2.5GHz base speed. It says "up to 3.4 GHz", this means that at times when needed it can use boost to run up to 3.4GHz but this for limited time only.
    So because the deal is good, you could buy extra 124GB SSD and replace existing HDD and then use this HDD as external storage for stuff that you maybe dont want to save in cloud, pretty sure most users of this forum have that kinda stuff
    “The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bukar For This Useful Post:

JAMESCORK (09-06-21), SteveB (08-06-21)

Reviews

8gb ram , they can keep it
    Other opinions are allowed
    Age doesn't equal maturity - just look around !
    Unhappy ? press ignore user in settings

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by philipkntz View Post
    I think many on here including myself would welcome a IT advice thread.

Maybe call it.
    "Ask the Big Mango"
    Thanks - but no thanks

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSarahBarra View Post
    Ive been reading it wrong this whole time. I remember when someone mentioned your name out loud. We were fucking, I’m sure. Him and I, not you and I, obviously. I’d been calling you nutz
    So someone finally called out my name during sex. I'm flattered.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to philipkntz For This Useful Post:

joggon (08-06-21)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bukar View Post
    It all depends what the end use will be for but personally, I would stay away from it.
    True i3 is a bit outdated, but 2019 chipset, 8GB RAM is loads, 1TB HDD these days when everything is stored in cloud is a massive overkill.
    "Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-1005G1 Processor 1.2 GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz, 2 cores)" Most phones these days have better processing speed and you should not realy belooking at buying anything that has less then 2.5GHz base speed. It says "up to 3.4 GHz", this means that at times when needed it can use boost to run up to 3.4GHz but this for limited time only.
    So because the deal is good, you could buy extra 124GB SSD and replace existing HDD and then use this HDD as external storage for stuff that you maybe dont want to save in cloud, pretty sure most users of this forum have that kinda stuff
    I am not familiar with this laptop so can't make detailed comment. But I do tend to agree with the above.
    The processor is slow and is likely to be a bottleneck no matter what upgrades you make. Be aware cheap computers can have unconventional components and even soldered in components making upgrades difficult.

As said above by Bukar it depends on what you what it for. Bit of word-processing and web browsing and it may be OK.

Reviews

thanks for the advice, i'll be sending my one back so.
    thanks again.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by truelad View Post
    thanks for the advice, i'll be sending my one back so.
    thanks again.
    No worries, still might be good but depends for what you use it for.
    This one for example I would use for everyday tasks, https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/de...1600493871.prd

SSD drive, AMD processor base speed 2.1GHz with boost up to 3.7GHz
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...+3500U&id=3421
    “The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

Hey,
    i3 is not outdated. 10th gen i3 blows a lot of previous gen i5s out of the water on mobile platforms. As you say yourself, it all depends on the end use case.

Reviews

just looked at my current laptop, its at i5 2.6 ghz, but the keyboard isnt working due to water spillage so i plugged in a keyboard via usb, pain in the ass, i wouldnt want any slower than this!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to truelad For This Useful Post:

robbie9 (08-06-21)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by truelad View Post
    just looked at my current laptop, its at i5 2.6 ghz, but the keyboard isnt working due to water spillage so i plugged in a keyboard via usb, pain in the ass, i wouldnt want any slower than this!
    Well time to get creative then I guess. I dont think that motherboard is damaged as your laptop is working. Most keyboards these days are just attached by the clip, no need for soldering. This can be Lego easy. Look up your laptop model and search on E-bay for the keyboard for it, then look up on youtube for a video on how to replace keyboard for your model or similar. Usually you need to take out all the screws out the back and just pop out keyboard, unclip it and clip in new one. Test it out, if its not working, off to shop...I doubt its anything serious, maybe even just open the laptop and see if any contact is loose or looks burned, but buy your own keyboard either way otherwise shop might get creative with their own price
    ― Carlos Castaneda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast