Thread: Things I'll miss from lockdowns.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pegmyass85 View Post
    Here's a crazy thought. Stick to the speed limit and you want have to pay the "revenue".
    60 mph road for decades and speed reduced to 60 km for no good reason. Take your dogooder attitude elsewhere.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JMastodon For This Useful Post:

TonyB (16-05-21)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JMastodon View Post
    60 mph road for decades and speed reduced to 60 km for no good reason. Take your dogooder attitude elsewhere.
    Most speed limits are extremely inconvenient and at completely uncalled for places. It's like they are only designed with 3-4 hours from the day in mind, when there actually is heavy traffic, or just to give desk jockeys something to do or to appease general public that knows no-better. It's not spoken about by the rsa, but awfully placed speed limits can and do contribute to fatigue and potential accidents. Slow isn't safe; in fact slow drivers on fast-paced roads are likely to cause accidents.

I believe that road policing should be changed from preventive to repressive. Speed limits should be a "suggestion" and breaking them should be taken into account when one causes an accident while going over with more severe punishments than now. The only places for speed limits to be actively policed should be several really dangerous bends and hills.

just my worthless opinion

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderik For This Useful Post:

Bukar (16-05-21)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Roderik View Post
    Most speed limits are extremely inconvenient and at completely uncalled for places. It's like they are only designed with 3-4 hours from the day in mind, when there actually is heavy traffic, or just to give desk jockeys something to do or to appease general public that knows no-better. It's not spoken about by the rsa, but awfully placed speed limits can and do contribute to fatigue and potential accidents. Slow isn't safe; in fact slow drivers on fast-paced roads are likely to cause accidents.

I believe that road policing should be changed from preventive to repressive. Speed limits should be a "suggestion" and breaking them should be taken into account when one causes an accident while going over with more severe punishments than now. The only places for speed limits to be actively policed should be several really dangerous bends and hills.

Not worhless opinion, but coincidentaly had a near miss today due to slow driving idiot on a busy road. Speed limit 100km/h, he drives 80, speed reduces to 80km/h, he slows down to 60 and still constantly breaking as any bend approaches. Could not get clear road to overtake and was stuck for about 10-15 minutes... When I got some clear road and went to overtake, another car pulled in onto oposite lane facing me...In fairness place was not great for overtaking but at that point was really pissed off as I was running late... You would think that with all the smart technoogies out there speed limits could be regulated better, one for peak hours, another for less busy etc
    Last edited by Bukar; 16-05-21 at 15:17.
    “The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bukar For This Useful Post:

TonyB (16-05-21)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bukar View Post
    Not worhless opinion, but coincidentaly had a near miss today due to slow driving idiot on a busy road. Speed limit 100km/h, he drives 80, speed reduces to 80km/h, he slows down to 60 and still constantly breaking as any bend approaches. Could not get clear road to overtake and was stuck for about 10-15 minutes... When I got some clear road and went to overtake, another car pulled in onto oposite lane facing me...In fairness place was not great for overtaking but at that point was really pissed off as I was running late... You would think that with all the smart technoogies out there speed limits could be regulated better, one for peak hours, another for less busy etc
    That was your fault not his. You can blame him all you want for being frustrated but it was you who made the unsafe overtake.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo76 View Post
    That was your fault not his. You can blame him all you want for being frustrated but it was you who made the unsafe overtake.
    Overtake was legal and safe until the point where another car turned onto road from oposite direction... If the accident did happen, fault could not be mine but the driver who turned onto road without checking first. And I was still within speed limit even if overtaking...
    “The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bukar View Post
    Overtake was legal and safe until the point where another car turned onto road from oposite direction... If the accident did happen, fault could not be mine but the driver who turned onto road without checking first. And I was still within speed limit even if overtaking...
    You blamed the slow driver, that's who I was referring to. He had nothing to do with it.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo76 View Post
    You blamed the slow driver, that's who I was referring to. He had nothing to do with it.
    He had plenty to do with it...There would be no need to overtake if he was driving close to speed limit, clear, dry road... no excuse.
    ― Carlos Castaneda

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Roderik View Post

I'd like to see some research that backs up your opinion that slow drivers cause accidents.

Aggressive, careless, speeders cost most lives on our roads.