Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Everest

Reviews

Default Mount Everest

Did you know it can cost up to €80,000 to climb Mt Everest.

I've only just watched a documentary on a climb to the summit on Amazon Prime video.

A permit is €11,000

What an absolute money grabbing country.

so only the rich of the rich can climb it.

i know the season starts in a couple of weeks so expect those rich thrill seeking travellers will be living on that mountain for 2 months.

now i've no experience of climbing but i'd certainly give it a go if i had the money. there is only a 1.4% chance you will die so i'd take my chances!

As for the 2nd highest mountain the world K2, it's 25% chance of death , less than 400 people have reached the summit there & some of those that did died on the decent

2. The Following User Says Thank You to robbie9 For This Useful Post:

TheSavannah (19-03-21)

Yes , did know .

I’ve been on it

Your dismissive attitude shows such a lack of understanding on a hugely complex undertaking !
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

gonzo76 (20-03-21), irishjp (19-03-21), westerner04 (19-03-21)

A team of Sherpa summited K2 this winter for the 1st ever winter time assent!
    Absolute Legends!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captainwagger For This Useful Post:

robbie9 (19-03-21), Stephanie (19-03-21)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie9 View Post
    Did you know it can cost up to €80,000 to climb Mt Everest.

I've only just watched a documentary on a climb to the summit on Amazon Prime video.

A permit is €11,000

What an absolute money grabbing country.

so only the rich of the rich can climb it.

i know the season starts in a couple of weeks so expect those rich thrill seeking travellers will be living on that mountain for 2 months.

now i've no experience of climbing but i'd certainly give it a go if i had the money. there is only a 1.4% chance you will die so i'd take my chances!

As for the 2nd highest mountain the world K2, it's 25% chance of death , less than 400 people have reached the summit there & some of those that did died on the decent

Everest isn’t about mountain climbing anymore, It’s queuing.

It’s one of the least technical mountains over 8000m and is a summit that can be bought. The litter and rubbish discarded there is disgusting, as are the vain “mountaineers” buying the summit for an instagram post and some bragging rights.

https://www.ft.com/content/0888bfd6-...2-5fe435b57a3b

Some operators have clients who only learn how to use their equipment at the foot of the mountain, said Lukas Furtenbach, an experienced expedition leader. “They’re learning how to put on crampons in base camp,” he said.

Don’t blame Nepal for being money grabbing, every country does the same with its tourist resources including Ireland.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Feckem For This Useful Post:

nibb (19-03-21), robbie9 (19-03-21), Stephanie (19-03-21)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Yes , did know .

I’ve been on it

Your dismissive attitude shows such a lack of understanding on a hugely complex undertaking !
    You've been on it??

Are u for real?

Did u reach the summit?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by David Feckem View Post

It’s one of the least technical mountains over 8000m and is a summit that can be bought. The litter and rubbish discarded there is disgusting, as are the vain “mountaineers” buying the summit for an instagram post and some bragging rights.

Some operators have clients who only learn how to use their equipment at the foot of the mountain, said Lukas Furtenbach, an experienced expedition leader. “They’re learning how to put on crampons in base camp,” he said.

Don’t blame Nepal for being money grabbing, every country does the same with its tourist resources including Ireland.
    Queuing caused 6 deaths in 2018!!

I'd definitely give it a go if I got some sort of training for maybe a week. 1% chance of dying is slim , falling down a crevess would be slim

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by captainwagger View Post
    A team of Sherpa summited K2 this winter for the 1st ever winter time assent!
    Absolute Legends!!
    Ya read that, that mountain is a death trap though unless you are really experienced

Quote Originally Posted by robbie9 View Post

I'd definitely give it a go if I got some sort of training for maybe a week.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to David Feckem For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (19-03-21)

Quote Originally Posted by David Feckem View Post

Sadly it has horribly deteriorated over the last 20 years .

Too many ppl with too much money + vanity to post the Bucket List .

Last time I was there in 2016 - I was repelled by the hordes of

: don’t even do The Experience , merely snap the pic for Fb and get airlifted out

because they’re so god damned stu*id , they have porters and sherpas practically

pushing and carrying them up just for the photo op / and that’s only the trekkers .

: they have 10 days vacation time , in that time they ‘want to do EBC’ and so they

hire more than willing local guides to push them pull them up on a track that should

take several days’ of acclimatization at several levels to begin with .

They turn blue and grey and yet still insist to be carried higher : For the fb pic .

I found it appalling . It didn’t use to be this way . Now they take the flight from

KTM to Lukla which is already at too high of an elevation for ppl coming from

sea-level cities : London , NY , LA , Beijing , etc. It’s abhorrable what it’s become .

: completely diff experience going from Jiri to Lukla ( old school , self reliance ,

nature , local people going about their lives , no money grab , just find a tea house

for food and for the night . Low key , genuine . )

Once get above Lukla , the hordes off the planes merge onto the same trail , and

it’s as if it’s been Disneyfied : corrupted beyond belief ; Namche Bazaar - once a

high mountain outpost and trading place where I met some indigenous Tibetan

traders in traditional garb some years back , now has an Irish Pub , even a Starbucks .

Pains my soul . / and that’s only the Way to the Mountain . What reigns there now is

beyond reasonable reason .
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

lol brb (19-03-21)

Reviews

Sounds like you have given up before starting. Not really the right attitude for climbing a mountain.

Most people get sponsorship... do it for charity.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast