Thread: Mount Everest

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by robbie9 View Post
    Did you know it can cost up to €80,000 to climb Mt Everest.

I've only just watched a documentary on a climb to the summit on Amazon Prime video.

A permit is €11,000

What an absolute money grabbing country.

so only the rich of the rich can climb it.

i know the season starts in a couple of weeks so expect those rich thrill seeking travellers will be living on that mountain for 2 months.

now i've no experience of climbing but i'd certainly give it a go if i had the money. there is only a 1.4% chance you will die so i'd take my chances!

As for the 2nd highest mountain the world K2, it's 25% chance of death , less than 400 people have reached the summit there & some of those that did died on the decent

Everest isn’t about mountain climbing anymore, It’s queuing.

It’s one of the least technical mountains over 8000m and is a summit that can be bought. The litter and rubbish discarded there is disgusting, as are the vain “mountaineers” buying the summit for an instagram post and some bragging rights.

https://www.ft.com/content/0888bfd6-...2-5fe435b57a3b

Some operators have clients who only learn how to use their equipment at the foot of the mountain, said Lukas Furtenbach, an experienced expedition leader. “They’re learning how to put on crampons in base camp,” he said.

Don’t blame Nepal for being money grabbing, every country does the same with its tourist resources including Ireland.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Feckem For This Useful Post:

nibb (19-03-21), robbie9 (19-03-21), Stephanie (19-03-21)