Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keelings fruit pickers

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Lad View Post
    Have they applied, there is an abundance of seasonal work on farms at the moment...?

https://www.jobsireland.ie/en-US/job-Details?id=2144640

You have to go looking for a job, they won't come knocking on your door.
    Not practical for us to cross the country twice a day for minimum wage. There must be some available employee's over that end.

Reviews

Another point that has got scant mention is the fact that these workers have come over here for the last few years and are used to the work, it might appear a simple job but like all jobs it’s simple when you know what you’re at, when you are experienced. I doubt this company want to start from zero with their workforce, they probably have enough issues to deal with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg30 For This Useful Post:

Wolverine (19-04-20)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg30 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    There's a lot of people out of work here. Racism towards who ? If a company here refused foreign employee's that would be racism.

Is it ok for a company to exclude Irish applicants ? That to me is unfair too. Not saying that's what Keelings are doing but this looks suspicious to me.
    What do you think the reaction would have been if the people out of work here were told to head for the strawberry sheds on Monday, they’d be uproar from the majority of them, there were loads of unemployed for the last three years who wouldn’t even apply for jobs like these, when were Irish applicants excluded?, they excluded themselves years ago from manual jobs like this, don’t kid yourself that there isn’t an element of racism involved against these Bulgarians, the media love a good “ foreigners taking out jobs” feeding frenzy, 350 a week to do zero or have do some hard manual labour, easy choice for your average Irish person
    I don't buy the narrative that nobody who is Irish is interested in that work (unless they're a privileged toff or a layabout lowlife). Not now.

Flying in workers under these circumstances is at best strange. To me anyway. I think that company needs eyes on it.
    Last edited by Floki; 20-04-20 at 10:12. Reason: Fucking quotes are acting up.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

[QUOTE=Wolverine;2270395]

I don't buy the narrative that nobody who is Irish is interested in that work (unless they're a privileged toff or a layabout lowlife). Not now.

Flying in workers under these circumstances is at best strange. To me anyway. I think that company needs eyes on it.
    3 weeks ago jobs advertised and still were looking for workers. But it is the same situation in Britian flying in workers, it seems to be common practice to fly in workers for seasonal farm labour.

Reviews

[QUOTE=Dub Lad;2270397]
    Quote Originally Posted by dublad View Post

3 weeks ago jobs advertised and still were looking for workers. But it is the same situation in Britian flying in workers, it seems to be common practice to fly in workers for seasonal farm labour.
    Under normal circumstances I wouldn't bat an eyelid but last I heard over 500,000 unemployed here now.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 19-04-20 at 18:23.

Reviews

[QUOTE=Wolverine;2270395]

You have a point but it’s hard to prove one way or the other at the moment now, It would be interesting to know how many Irish born workers would apply for these minimum wage, manually exhausting jobs if they had the opportunity tomorrow. I’ll be honest, if I were sitting at home on 350 a week, I wouldn’t and I’ve being in employment since I turned 18 and thankfully still am.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg30 For This Useful Post:

Wolverine (19-04-20)

Reviews

We take on farm hands here and must admit, it hard to find Irish labourers but you can get them if youre willing to pay a good wage, that said we have had a lot Irish people come to us asking if any work as bored at home and I know of this Group and they use contractors to source foreign workers for obvious reasons here too and others companies do it all the time, they bring in the same labourers from same countries all the time, its about the money here, I do know they would have been able to get fair few Irish workers this time and its just just a loophole they exploited. Don't believe all what these companies tell you or advertise,

Blog Entries
    Reviews

[QUOTE=Wolverine;2270399]

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't bat an eyelid but last I heard over 500,000 unemployed here now.
    and most entitled to collect their 350e a week.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dub Lad For This Useful Post:

and most entitled to collect their 350e a week.
    Just to fix the Quotes x
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Wolverine (19-04-20)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Just to fix the Quotes x
    They were driving me nuts.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolverine For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (19-04-20)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast