Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Ross wants to put everybody off the road!!?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BIC1980 View Post
    In fairness Shane Ross has clamped down big time on road safety by reducing the alcohol limit to practically zero. I would applaude him for that as I don’t think you should get behind the wheel with any alcohol in your system. However the latest proposal of €200 fine and 7 points on your licence if you are 30km over the limit is a bit Irish! I don’t mind the fine but 7 points on your licence will put a lot of people off the road, especially if you do a lot of motorway driving?
    Formula for Kenetic energy Kenetic energy = .5 x Mass by Velocity squared

KE =.5x MV squared . Car wight say 2000 kg , the difference in Kinetic energy thats what gets transferred into a Pedestrian /Cyclist

At 30kph =60,000

at 40 kph = 160,000 , you see its not linear, the squared formula on velocity/speed is the key , this kinetic force is what kills

I trust that settles it , have a look at the mortality rate between 32 kph and 48 kph in RTA car to pedestrian . At 32 KPH approx 5 killed , at 48 kph its I think 28 killed .
    Clubcard stop now
    "Those who keep the ability to see beauty, never grow old"- Frank Kafka

You will Always be fond of me .I represent all the Sins you never had the Courage to commit Oscar Wilde

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DummyResister View Post
    The simple answer is don't break the speed limits and you have nothing to worry about
    Holier than thou! I suppose you obey all rules, regulations and the letter of the law at all times. Fuck speed limits. People using their phone in the car is a far bigger problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JMastodon For This Useful Post:

xagerate (03-03-19)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by philipkntz View Post
    It's all a load of bs. Most road accidents involve completely sober drivers, not drunks.

The newish 30kmph speed limit is nearly impossible to drive at. Cars are simply not designed and geared to suit that speed, and if you do manage to keep under 30 the cyclists are whizzing past you.
    Now he wants 7 penalty points for 30 over the speed limit. That's approx 37 miles an hour, still within the capability of a cyclist. When I used to cycle regular, I could average 45mph over 4 miles.
    The guy needs to get real.
    Do you want to rethink that one ? just noticed it. 45 mph average is 72 kph and before you post have a wee look at world indoor cycling 1 km records which are achieved in optimum conditions as in cycling surfaces with minimum resistance , no winds and oh yeah athletes in absolute prime on bikes weighing less than 5 kilos aerodynamically engineered by computers to minimize wind resistance and maximize power deliver with bespoke geometry for individual cyclists , just saying like unless it was all down hill with a fair wind for you . but even then you if this is accurate have missed your calling . Averaging 72 kph over just below 6.5 k

Even at 45kph thats still goin some , you the man .
    Clubcard stop now

You will Always be fond of me .I represent all the Sins you never had the Courage to commit Oscar Wilde

increase the fine to a grand and forget the points

most accidents happen outside the built up area of 30 and 40 kph/mph so it is only a revenue stunt while the points are to make out like he is doing something but he is only a wanker, a long string of misery
    Last edited by Georgielad; 02-03-19 at 18:29.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgielad For This Useful Post:

Reviews

In the UK they have changed the law on dangerous driving , in extreme cases if you kill a person as a result its 14 years in jail , if you give a person life changing injuries it 4 to 5 years in jail . a truck driver has got 10 years in jail for killing a family whilst he was fucking around on his phone looking for music .

I suggest we go this route here. Watch insurance costs drop when a it sinks in that you change a life by your driving you get some too as in a nice jail sentence , no measly fine . Now just remember its dangerous driving here that i am calling out .
    Clubcard stop now

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beautyaddict For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by beautyaddict View Post
    Do you want to rethink that one ? just noticed it. 45 mph average is 72 kph and before you post have a wee look at world indoor cycling 1 km records which are achieved in optimum conditions as in cycling surfaces with minimum resistance , no winds and oh yeah athletes in absolute prime on bikes weighing less than 5 kilos aerodynamically engineered by computers to minimize wind resistance and maximize power deliver with bespoke geometry for individual cyclists , just saying like unless it was all down hill with a fair wind for you . but even then you if this is accurate have missed your calling . Averaging 72 kph over just below 6.5 k

Even at 45kph thats still goin some , you the man .
    No. We did miles back then and Yes, I used to race.
    I was clocked at that speed on a fairly level, windless stretch of road midway through a 40 mile training spin and at 38mph on the way back. Average speed over the 40 miles was 26mph iirc. I did however have 4 team mates taking turns up front.
    I have also been cautioned for breaking the 40 mph speed limit through a certain village while cycling solo.

And don't forget that there is often a good wind blowing along the 30k city quays in Dublin. Even a modest cyclist can exceed the limit.

In the area I live the local cycling club was supporting a campaign to keep the old main road at 80kmph untill I pointed out the speeds some of their members were doing on that road.
    Last edited by philipkntz; 02-03-19 at 18:56.
    My wife caught me wearing ladies underwear and threatened to leave me.
    So I packed up all her clothes
    And left.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to philipkntz For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (02-03-19)

Reviews

No we did miles back then. I was clocked at that speed on a fairly level, windless stretch of road midway through a 40 mile training spin and 38mph on the way back. Average speed over the 40 miles was 26mph iirc. I did have 4 riders in front taking turns to break the wind.
    And don't forget that there is often a good wind blowing along the 30k city quays in Dublin. Even a modest cyclist can exceed the limit.

In the area I live the local cycling club was supporting a campaign to keep the old main road at 80kmph till I pointed out the speeds some of their members were doing on that road.
    Got ya you mean you got up to 45 mph . Yes with riders breaking the wind you would get an average 26 mph , still a v good pace BTW , just it looked 45 mph average over 4 miles at that level your a GOD
    Clubcard stop now

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by beautyaddict View Post
    Got ya you mean you got up to 45 mph . Yes with riders breaking the wind you would get an average 26 mph , still a v good pace BTW , just it looked 45 mph average over 4 miles at that level your a GOD
    Yes I do mean 45mph over 4 miles, No. I am not a god.
    I rarely got first place in a race but I do have several trophies for 5th and 6th.
    My wife caught me wearing ladies underwear and threatened to leave me.
    So I packed up all her clothes
    And left.

Reviews

Yes I do mean 45mph over 4 miles, No. I am not a god.
    I rarely got first place in a race but I do have several trophies for 5th and 6th.
    https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a20...e-pro-cyclist/

t completed the 25 km time-trial at 57.7 km/h (35.85 mph) this is the fastest time trial in the tour . The fastest climb of Alpe d'Huez was by Marco Pantani in 1997 Tour de France at 23.1 km/h (14.35 mph).

there are more on web sites if you are averaging 72 km over even four miles on the flat that my friend is stunning
    Clubcard stop now

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    I'm from the North - what's a km?
    Something you brits have voted to get rid of because of Brexit , so you can still use the Queens imperial measurements

" WE ARE CONNACHT "

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast