Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge Online Supprt For Petition Calling For Sen Mulen's Removal

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by one4 View Post
    Most senators are appointed, in fairness to Mullen he got himself elected, I agree it shouldn't just be graduates who have a vote, what we need to do is reform the seanad, not just remove Mullen
    All public representatives should be elected by the public and less of this appointing losers into a position when they fail at elections.

Reviews

The Libertarian, you are an absolute cunt and you definitely are not a libertarian.

This pathetic petition that you are promoting here is fundamentallly undemocratic, authoritarian and the worst form of scumbagery. Siliencing people you disagree with is the action of totalitarianism despots that unfortunately rule too many of the world's population today.

Ronan Mullen was democratically elected to Seanad Eireann by the voters of the NUI panel. He received the most votes of the 30 people that stood for the 3 available seats and was the first elected. I think this is his third term as senator. He openly ran on a specific platform and has an absolute duty to fulfill his mandate. And if you don't like it, you can fuck off.

People are allowed in our society to hold opinions that are different to yours. And if they run in elections and win and obey electoral law they are absolutely entitled to serve their electorate.

There will be legalised abortion in Ireland in the near future. The promoters of this meaningless petition should take that win with some dignity and grace and grow the fuck up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dob For This Useful Post:

thewren (30-05-18)

Reviews

Most senators are appointed, in fairness to Mullen he got himself elected, I agree it shouldn't just be graduates who have a vote, what we need to do is reform the seanad, not just remove Mullen
    11 are appointed, 49 are elected, of which 6 are elected by university graduates and 43 by local councillors.
    Last edited by dob; 28-05-18 at 19:30.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Senators are not elected, this man did not earn his position. Given his views contrast so much with the public maybe he should step down and allow someone else more in touch with the Irish voter to fill his position.
    As I said already he did earn his position by being elected.

The public is made up of individual people with many different opinions.

Siliencing minorities is what happens in totalitarian regimes.
    Last edited by dob; 28-05-18 at 19:30.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Ronan Mullen was democratically elected to Seanad Eireann by the voters of the NUI panel.
    I never asked nor wanted an NUI panel to elect anyone on my behalf.
    Not democratic at all. Fuck them wankers.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    As I said already he did earn his position by being elected.

The public is made up of individual people with many different opinions.

Siliencing minorities is what happens in totalitarian regimes.
    I remember when they (The Catholic Church) weren't a minority , they were absolute bastards in the 80's.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 28-05-18 at 19:35.

I agree the seanad is undemocratic and badly needs to be reformed, I don't agree though that Ronan Mullen should be kicked out of it because of his views. If we do that and start silencing and censoring we just repeat the mistakes of the past, those in power now same as those in power before, animal farm

9. The Following User Says Thank You to one4 For This Useful Post:

thewren (30-05-18)

Reviews

I agree the seanad is undemocratic and badly needs to be reformed, I don't agree though that Ronan Mullen should be kicked out of it because of his views. If we do that and start silencing and censoring we just repeat the mistakes of the past, those in power now same as those in power before, animal farm
    I'm glad you feel the Seanad needs reform.
    But tell me if a representative of the country wants to legislate in opposition to public desires, surely their postion is no longer valid ?

1 in 3 people voted NO, over 700,000 people, surely their desires should still have some repersentation?

Reviews

1 in 3 people voted NO, over 700,000 people, surely their desires should still have some repersentation?
    Yes, they should. By public election. Less of the "your one of the boys have a job" style appointments/NUI elections.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast