Thread: Some questions from across the pond?

Reviews

Default Some questions from across the pond?

I'm an experienced American punter coming to Ireland for the fist 2 weeks of June traveling solo. No set itinerary beyond the first 48 hours in Dublin and a plan to make a circuit of the island. Stumbled upon this website and planning to have some extra fun between seeing the sites. Not much of a whiskey fan, but intrigued about all the new gin distilleries popping up. Attorney/Architect. Foodie. Photography enthusiast (ruins, buildings, landscapes). Biggest fear for the trip - shifting the rental car with my left hand (got a reservation with 0 deductible insurance). Anyway, enough about me.

Some questions:
    1) The best gin distilled on the island is?
    2) If you could only play 1 golf course in your area which would you play and why?
    3) Any suggestions for places to see/things to do that aren't listed in the guide books? (For instance I am touring the Echlinville Distillery, attending the Gin School at the Listoke Distillery, going foraging for mushrooms one afternoon, and touring HBO's Titanic Studio King's Landing set)
    4) Any suggestions for reasonably priced (under or around 25 euro per person for dinner and a beer) restaurants with an emphasis on mom and pop places that either grow or use local meat and produce?
    5) Local places that produce smoked meats or make cheese?
    6) Any local festivals or events of interest between May 29 and June 12? KFest looks interesting, so does AVA in Belfast, Vantastival less so, WESTPORT FOLK AND BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL less so as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Brad

2. The Following User Says Thank You to scoobydo1 For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Josephine View Post
    Welcome to Ireland

Please do not be one of the very many tourist cars seen sideways in the ditch

Drive slow watch out for traffic build up behind you and pull in so they can overtake.

The southern Irish do a strange thing (or 2) when driving they drive half in the hard shoulder so cars behind can overtake - not done up north.

Sounds like a great trip in the planning

Enjoy

Josephine xx
    Thanks for the driving insights. Any thoughts on any of the other questions?

Reviews

Welcome also. Just realized while viewing your questions, I know fuck all about this country. It will be all talk about referendum results and who will line out for the championship GAA.
    Oh stay out of Templebar in Dublin on a weekend night.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pigsmickey For This Useful Post:

bmw528 (06-04-18)