Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: your IP address

Reviews

"nowhere in this thread explains how a public shared IP address can be traced to a geographical one. "

The answer to this is that this cannot be done without the internet provider. And to approach the internet provider needs a court order under Data Protection. "Data Protection" is a European legal "sacred cow" at the moment so messing with it, dirty tricks or not, will not be done.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

gonzo76 (26-02-17)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Effectively they can't.
    With a court order and then information from the internet provider they probably in most cases could. Not even the internet provider knows what you are posting here, or on any website, only that your IP address is connected to here. Viewing this website is not an offence so they would not be able to get a court order and a court order is needed under Data Protection Legislation.
    Besides, disregarding all this, at the moment there are 308 people online here. Are they going to get a court order for all of them and then check up on them?
    Yup, 100%.

First they would need to decide who they are interested in. Yes, a review might make you a target for scrutiny, but the tracking could be an issue.

As i understand it, if the cops could get a serviceable warrant, EI could easily hand over the ip address you used when accessing the site.

Then the cops would need to find the address that ip address is registered to. So they need to go to the isp that owns the ip address. And serve them with a warrant to get it.

Then they could trace you to your physical address.

But, if you are using a VPN, it is likely that the ip address ends up as a dead end. Not only is the link between the ip address EI has logged and your ip address from your isp broken, all communication is encrypted, and the VPN company likely do not keep logs anyway.

Is it impossible to be tracked? No, not at all. But it is very difficult, and only likely to happen if there is a major push to do a big sweep centrally by the guards.

And the fact that EI, and the VPN company are all outside Ireland jurisdiction, given that the penalty is €500, it's more likely that the guards will set up shop outside well known locations and try to catch you in the act instead.

If they even bother at all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gonzo76 For This Useful Post:

SteveB (26-02-17)

Reviews

Bottom line [again]

As has been said many times on this thread by many posters,
    if you are not committing a very serious crime,
    they will not commit the resources,
    or get the legal authority to trace you. [dirty tricks or not]

If you want to be cautious, then there are other cardinal sins that we all commit when visiting that we would need to change. But being "traced through our IP addresses" is not a problem.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Reviews

If an incident ever did happen between lady and a client and you had visited her just before that appointment, surely if its investigated you would be called upon by the authorities to answer questions and CCTV would be looked at and all that craic. This can easily happen to any lady, no matter how established they are, I know this type of thing has happened in this past, but now with the law its a whole new ball game.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to casman For This Useful Post:

SteveB (26-02-17)

Reviews

I think this whole notion of vpns not logging is untrue. How are they going to manage people's account without logging information about them. They might keep it to a minimum but there is no anonymity online.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OutKast View Post
    I think this whole notion of vpns not logging is untrue. How are they going to manage people's account without logging information about them. They might keep it to a minimum but there is no anonymity online.
    https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-v...w-2015-150228/

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by casman View Post
    If an incident ever did happen between lady and a client and you had visited her just before that appointment, surely if its investigated you would be called upon by the authorities to answer questions and CCTV would be looked at and all that craic. This can easily happen to any lady, no matter how established they are, I know this type of thing has happened in this past, but now with the law its a whole new ball game.
    Someone has already mentioned this and this was always an issue. But, what are the odds? What are the odds of dying in a traffic accident on the way to meet someone? A lot higher. I take your point but really, I am not reckless, but I do think some people worry too much.

"Better to live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

casman (26-02-17)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Someone has already mentioned this and this was always an issue. But, what are the odds? What are the odds of dying in a traffic accident on the way to meet someone? A lot higher. I take your point but really, I am not reckless, but I do think some people worry too much.

"Better to live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep."
    I know im over thinking it and I know its big odds of it happening, but there is a chance and all it takes is to get nabbed the once. I mean you can be a gentleman to the ladies and the best client ever, but if something serious happens after you had seen her, involving a scumbag client, you can be sure you are more than likely going to be dragged into it and thats not being reckless Steve, its just being unlucky and then the shit will hit the fan.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by drbagehot View Post
    And that's why it all comes down to just being sensible. You don't need to go all 007 on it, but take basic precautions that should have been taken before, but are now more important. Use a trusted VPN to browse the site (check what the data retention policy is for that VPN and the jurisdiction within which it is operating). Don't commit anything to text, email, PM that you don't want read back to you in court or by your wife. Use a punting phone. Top up phones with cash. Discard SIMs after a few months and get a new one. Don't browse EI from work or home without a VPN. Use incognito / privacy modes on your browsers - including your phone browsers. Don't trust Chrome / Google. Don't talk money. Do trust your gut. Don't go to locations which are crime hotspots generally. Don't go to small towns and villages - they are the ones being raided even before this law. Park discretely - the walk will do you good. Treat the ladies well. Try to stick to ones that have good reputations. Let some other schmuck do the risk-taking.

Worrying about how an IP address may or may not be used or how it could be correlated to this, that or the other is small in the scheme of things. This is not how you are likely to be caught. The first schmuck who is caught will have done something basic and stupidly wrong.
    I have been doing all those things you have mentioned for a long time now and never have I once had any hassle or questioned by anyone, hopefully my luck will continue, but I shall be very cautious as to who I see now, every visit will be planned out well and no more spur of the moment visits.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by drbagehot View Post
    And that's why it all comes down to just being sensible. You don't need to go all 007 on it, but take basic precautions that should have been taken before, but are now more important. Use a trusted VPN to browse the site (check what the data retention policy is for that VPN and the jurisdiction within which it is operating). Don't commit anything to text, email, PM that you don't want read back to you in court or by your wife. Use a punting phone. Top up phones with cash. Discard SIMs after a few months and get a new one. Don't browse EI from work or home without a VPN. Use incognito / privacy modes on your browsers - including your phone browsers. Don't trust Chrome / Google. Don't talk money. Do trust your gut. Don't go to locations which are crime hotspots generally. Don't go to small towns and villages - they are the ones being raided even before this law. Park discretely - the walk will do you good. Treat the ladies well. Try to stick to ones that have good reputations. Let some other schmuck do the risk-taking.

Worrying about how an IP address may or may not be used or how it could be correlated to this, that or the other is small in the scheme of things. This is not how you are likely to be caught. The first schmuck who is caught will have done something basic and stupidly wrong.
    When you say a trusted vpn , do you download for free or do you pay for it?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast