Thread: new bill criminalising the purchase of sex

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Petros View Post

Then there is the issue of how do they prove someone had paid for sex. OK, the law also says someone is guilty even if they only promise to pay for sex — I can see lawyers having a field day with that. The Guards need proof beyond reasonable doubt in order to get a conviction. This takes time and resourses — two things they don't have at the moment.
    Well, it's a strict liability offence so not an onerous task to be fair. It will be akin to that of a road traffic offence and similar. It's an offence that will be dealt with by the District Court, more so the humour of the judge than the adducement of evidence. There is no trial, jury, etc. Promising isn't that ambigious either from a legal pov however if you read the bill, the phrase "consideration" is fascinating. That is a catch all, monetary or otherwise. I do think it's telling that the Bill doesn't include the words "in a private place" or similar words to the effect as if you read the Bill in conjunction with the 1993 Act (of which it is an amendement) it may lead one to conclude that it criminalises the buyer in a public place only (i.e. rather than the previous place of just soliciting) however that is just my opinion albeit an informed one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JayM93 For This Useful Post:

The Libertarian (22-02-17)