Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Curvaceous Kate View Post
    When a man refers to all other men as 'Brother' is this a term of endearment? A way to keep out of trouble? Or is he taking away any sexual misunderstanding and stating his claim as heterosexual?

I've been watching LOST and one character does this, but I've never heard him call anyone 'Sister' (female obviously)

What do you think?
    "Brother" originated in the trade union movement. At meetings etc the members would always address each other as brother. In the early days there would would not have been ladies in the unions. So hence no "sister". Don't know what they do at gatherings today considering lots of unions have ladies in very senior positions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpenney For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (07-01-17)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OutKast View Post
    The reason Desmond says it is because he was a monk. seriously
    Ah I just got that bit in series 3. All was explained at this point, but there was no reference to it before that I'm aware of? Might have been nice of you to just say 'you will find out soon' rather than scoff?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

OutKast (07-01-17)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    He's maybe the type of person that gives those ticklish handshakes, and does things blindfolded with other men to get a ring with some engineering tool logos on.
    Lol very funny

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jpenney View Post
    "Brother" originated in the trade union movement. At meetings etc the members would always address each other as brother. In the early days there would would not have been ladies in the unions. So hence no "sister". Don't know what they do at gatherings today considering lots of unions have ladies in very senior positions.
    "Comrade"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpenney View Post
    That would have been understandable in context, but in this context it is not the case. Turns out the chap was a monk Thank you for the explanation though and Happy New year x

Reviews

That would have been understandable in context, but in this context it is not the case. Turns out the chap was a monk Thank you for the explanation though and Happy New year x
    Ha ha pmsl

Reviews

Ah I just got that bit in series 3. All was explained at this point, but there was no reference to it before that I'm aware of? Might have been nice of you to just say 'you will find out soon' rather than scoff?
    Yeah, probably should have said, you will find out, but I didn't scoff. I meant that like maybe you thought I was joking. Good show, anyway.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OutKast For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (07-01-17)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drbagehot View Post
    A brother needs to be scolded at least once in every CK thread.

Good use of 'brother' and no they don't. I thought he was being a meany. I'm glad he explained my mistake and he is right, it's a great series, even if it is stopping me from working. I'm on episode 21 of series 3 already!

Blog Entries

I know you want to scold me, but then I'd be right. Is it torturous choosing between letting it loose on a brother and being right?

PS: I'm only winding you up in the most brotherly way, Kate. I forget smileys sometimes.
    I don't mind, I'm in a good mood, even if one of the main characters is meant to die in a few minutes by pressing a button under water. I'm still not sure if John is alive or dead? I'm not so fond of him though.

Feel sorry for the poor man I choose to be my pet when I retire lol. He will get bow beaten for sure

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Lost was never my thing. I heard it got weird in a kind of Twin Peaks (original) sort of way and that kind of thing wrecks my head. Vikings is my current poison.
    I think it helps watching each series in succession, as I'm able to retain enough information to understand what is happening. It gets confusing due to the fact that each episode starts at a different time period and goes back and forth, so it's not sequential. As long as you can keep the time in your mind it all makes perfect sense.

I read a book once that I think was called 'Gone to Soldiers' (decades ago) and it was of a similar ilk. I really enjoy this type of story telling, as you can enjoy getting to know people in more detail and then return to the big picture and see how they all overlap at some point. Love the twists and turns.

I love Vikings in real life (fantasy figure) so I may check that one out after

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast