Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you give it all away?

Default Would you give it all away?

Sometimes when I can't sleep I let my mind unfold thinking what would I do if I'd won the lottery.
    Now I came across an article about a billionaire who gives / gave everything away.

I think it is easy to give away a lot, when you don't have to worry about your financial security, where you are going to live or what you are going to eat tonight.
    But still would you?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...tune-1.2923497

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLu For This Useful Post:

3. Default

If I'm being perfectly honest with myself I know I wouldn't give away everything like Chuck Feeney - the billionaire in that article - does, but I have a huge amount of respect for him, especially since some of the causes in Ireland his foundation has supported are ones that are very dear to me.

But if I were lucky enough to win the lottery I would still probably give away a lot - maybe even half - to charity or friends I knew were in need and invest most of the rest, only splashing out a small portion. When you have that much even a small percentage is still plenty to spend on yourself.

One of my new year's resolutions is to tour a lot more, and one of the reasons is that I want to be able to donate a lot more money to some of the charities and causes that are really important to me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aoife Irish TV For This Useful Post:

Carolyne (03-01-17), LuckyLu (03-01-17), oldfool (03-01-17)

5. Default

You would have more problems than you think winning the lottery (speaking from experience) family are the biggest lot of begrudgers you will find every one of them with there hands out... word of advice anyone ever wins the lottery say nothing and continue along your every day life with a smile

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joestuffe For This Useful Post:

joggon (03-01-17), willie wacker (03-01-17)

7. Default

I don't know that I'd give it all away, but I'd give most of it, over the course of time. What good is all that cash if you can't put it to good use...

...like spending it on the ladies here?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bizmann For This Useful Post:

joggon (03-01-17)

Reviews

I'll wait until I win the money..........
    Before I decide what to do with it..........

There are many things that I would do if I won. I wouldn't be greedy, however, I wouldn't go giving all the money away.

Of course I would sort out my own life first taking a break for a few months.
    I would get my teeth done, I would finally be able to afford a car, buy a house instead of renting all the time.
    Depending how much I won, I would give around 10-20% of the money to my family and around 5-10% to get many homeless off from the streets.

With 70% left of the money, I wouldn't retire, but invest in businesses I have always planned if I had money.
    I would build shops around Europe, eventually creating a chain, something like Spar.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Floki For This Useful Post:

Carolyne (03-01-17)

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    I would get my teeth done, I would finally be able to afford a car, buy a house instead of renting all the time.
    The way things are at the moment, especially in Dublin, being able to buy a place outright and not having to worry about renting or a mortgage would be pretty sweet!

it would be very tempting to keep it.
    apparently most of the winners lose their money with few years of hitting the jackpot.
    for all wannabes like me, here are some links on how winning the lottery makes you miserable.

so maybe it would be better to give the most of it away to a charitable cause and make few people happy?

http://www.truthin7minutes.com/truth-about-lotto/
    http://time.com/4176128/powerball-ja...ttery-winners/
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...lottery_w.html

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLu View Post
    Sometimes when I can't sleep I let my mind unfold thinking what would I do if I'd won the lottery.
    Now I came across an article about a billionaire who gives / gave everything away.

I think it is easy to give away a lot, when you don't have to worry about your financial security, where you are going to live or what you are going to eat tonight.
    But still would you?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...tune-1.2923497

That is a good question Lu

Depending on the amount involved I would give some to my parents for all they have done for me. Another portion to my brother so that he could expand his business

or do whatever he wanted with it. I would give another portion to some organisations that are dear to me like the local hospice which does fantastic work. Some I

would spend on a new car and a house. The rest I would keep safe. If it was the euromillions then the portion given to the organisations mentioned already would

increase.

I would give some amount to charity, the amount would be dependant on the winnings. The first and foremost thing I would spend money on would be a house for myself, nothing big and grandeur just a reasonably sized one. Some close family members would also be in line for some of the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast