Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
Thanks Alcatel, for that useful information.........but............,does a cow come into heat just once a year, or more often?
Would a city person make a good farmer, or part time farmer......seems a very easy job, just watching bulls fucking or cows lesbianing.
By the way would it be dangerous to be in a field with cows in heat?
How come that one horse can service hundreds of horses?
I thought nowadays it was all A! for cattle
In school the careers teacher never suggested farming as a career.........
But then many farmers seem to find it hard to meet (meat) women.
Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
How long does she stay in heat?
Cow will stay in heat for 12 to 24 hours.
And, if cycling normally will come in heat every 21. days until she gets pregnant. Will only get pregnant in this heat period. An aggressive bull is the danger not the cows in heat. AI is used more for milk cows than suckler/meat breed cows.
AI gives access to high genetic merit bulls but it can be difficult to spot suckler cows in heat and difficult to bring them in for insemination. Even with AI, after a number of weeks a bull tends to be let in to mop up any cows that may have been missed.
If the farmer is doing the heat detection he/she. will probably be looking 3 and maybe even 5 times a day at the cows.
A city person becoming a farmer would say, where did I go wrong? Though I think I have a distant relative, brought up in Dublin who did become a farmer. His father came from the country though .
So if you have a million or two to spare, buy a farm and go forth and multiply your cows. You will probably find yourself working far longer than the average industrial worker for less than the average industrial wage.