Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: which laptop to buy?

Reviews

Laptops are not as easy to work with as desktops but if 2GB is a problem (and I don't think it will) an extra 2GB could be added later.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Meursault (30-03-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    Im getting a new laptop. my question is should i buy a cheaper one for around 250 euro that has 2GB of memory or a dearer one with 4GB of memory. Bearing in mind all i use the laptop is internet and microsoft word. would a 2GB laptop run smoothly just using the internet and microsoft word and anti-virus as well.
    For that usage, you won't see any difference between i7 and i3, or between 4Gb and 2Gb, so you should probably go for the cheaper one.

Other things to consider are screen size and resolution, especially if you want to watch videos. If you want high quality video, look for "Full HD" or "1080p".

Microsoft products can be expensive - if you need Word it might be worth looking on Amazon for one that comes with Office included (Not 365 which is a subscription version).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MidlifeCrisis For This Useful Post:

JAMESCORK (31-03-16), Meursault (30-03-16)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Should run OK, obviously it will not run as fast as if it had 4GB, and there will be some more hard disc reading and writing but shouldn't be a problem.
    cheers......
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis View Post
    For that usage, you won't see any difference between i7 and i3, or between 4Gb and 2Gb, so you should probably go for the cheaper one.

Other things to consider are screen size and resolution, especially if you want to watch videos. If you want high quality video, look for "Full HD" or "1080p".

Microsoft products can be expensive - if you need Word it might be worth looking on Amazon for one that comes with Office included (Not 365 which is a subscription version).
    just need word. never use powerpoint or excel

thanks for the replies

ill go into harvey norman and currys tommorow and see what they have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by shyguyshyguy12 View Post
    It depends what your going to use it for. I'd go for at least 3gb of ram.
    Instead of Windows, you could go for Ubuntu operating system (free).

What is your budget and what are you going to use it for.
    Look into 2nd hand gaming PC, gamers usually update to get the latest and greatest.
    dont play games on it. dont even play games on the internet on it. Just internet (forums, youtube, papers etc.) and word.

out of my league
    Like myself

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel Divine For This Useful Post:

Meursault (30-03-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Divine View Post
    Like myself
    You would make an excellent laptop.

Sit on top of my lap anytime..............

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Meursault (30-03-16)

Reviews

thanks for the replies

ill go into harvey norman and currys tommorow and see what they have to offer.
    Your OP suggests you are on a budget. You will almost always get better value on the internet than the high street. I buy quite a few laptops - high end ones for myself and budget ones for my kids. I have had good experiences of buying low cost Acer ones on Amazon.

If you find an ideal one in-store, you could do a quick Google to make sure you are not paying too much over the odds.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidlifeCrisis For This Useful Post:

Best Before (31-03-16), Meursault (30-03-16)

Reviews

Im getting a new laptop. my question is should i buy a cheaper one for around 250 euro that has 2GB of memory or a dearer one with 4GB of memory. Bearing in mind all i use the laptop is internet and microsoft word. would a 2GB laptop run smoothly just using the internet and microsoft word and anti-virus as well.
    If you are only using it for MS Word and surfing the net then a 2GB should be fine. I don't know much about Pee Cees which I'm assuming by the price you mentioned is what you are looking at. For me I'd go for a MacBook or a MacBook Pro but you wont get an old second hand one of those for €250!
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast