Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Thank you for your post button

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    In your dreams
    Posts
    3,821

    Default Thank you for your post button

    It is only me or you too feel like there is a button missing?

    I tend to like posts for many different reasons:

    - because you are making a valid point
    - because you are raising an important issue
    - because you talk sense
    - because I could not said it better myself
    - because you made me laugh out loud (and believe me - I am the loudest here in the office - SORRY my poor colleagues...)
    - because I just like what you've said

    and then I am thinking - will they know why I thanked them for their post?

    and what buttons are missing?

    "I like it" / "I don't like it" / "get lost" / "boring alert" / "not you talking again!" / "my face is not listening" / "OMG this is hilarious" / ...

    I feel like I am starting a ridiculous thread here, but hey ho - flag me and I'll ban myself for spamming! hahaha

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Jacked in and jacking it
    Posts
    3,644
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLu View Post
    It is only me or you too feel like there is a button missing?

    I tend to like posts for many different reasons:

    - because you are making a valid point
    - because you are raising an important issue
    - because you talk sense
    - because I could not said it better myself
    - because you made me laugh out loud (and believe me - I am the loudest here in the office - SORRY my poor colleagues...)
    - because I just like what you've said

    and then I am thinking - will they know why I thanked them for their post?

    and what buttons are missing?

    "I like it" / "I don't like it" / "get lost" / "boring alert" / "not you talking again!" / "my face is not listening" / "OMG this is hilarious" / ...

    I feel like I am starting a ridiculous thread here, but hey ho - flag me and I'll ban myself for spamming! hahaha

    I think it's fine as is, adding extra buttons runs the risk of turning things into a popularity contest. It would probably dissuade people from posting too, people being lazy feckers


    I still maintain there should be a peer controlled system for dealing with late night trolls though.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Anderson For This Useful Post:

    SteveB (30-12-15), Wolverine (30-12-15)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knocking on heavens door.
    Posts
    10,711
    Reviews
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLu View Post
    It is only me or you too feel like there is a button missing?

    I tend to like posts for many different reasons:

    - because you are making a valid point
    - because you are raising an important issue
    - because you talk sense
    - because I could not said it better myself
    - because you made me laugh out loud (and believe me - I am the loudest here in the office - SORRY my poor colleagues...)
    - because I just like what you've said

    and then I am thinking - will they know why I thanked them for their post?

    and what buttons are missing?

    "I like it" / "I don't like it" / "get lost" / "boring alert" / "not you talking again!" / "my face is not listening" / "OMG this is hilarious" / ...

    I feel like I am starting a ridiculous thread here, but hey ho - flag me and I'll ban myself for spamming! hahaha
    I think there's enough buttons already and that the report a post button should be removed.
    Too many people forget this is an adult forum and need to be more open minded instreading of abusinf this button.
    If they feel strongly enough about a post they should pm a mod and express their thoughts that way.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zilch For This Useful Post:

    funlover12 (30-12-15), irishdeltaforce (30-12-15)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    10

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLu View Post
    It is only me or you too feel like there is a button missing?

    I tend to like posts for many different reasons:

    - because you are making a valid point
    - because you are raising an important issue
    - because you talk sense
    - because I could not said it better myself
    - because you made me laugh out loud (and believe me - I am the loudest here in the office - SORRY my poor colleagues...)
    - because I just like what you've said

    and then I am thinking - will they know why I thanked them for their post?

    and what buttons are missing?

    "I like it" / "I don't like it" / "get lost" / "boring alert" / "not you talking again!" / "my face is not listening" / "OMG this is hilarious" / ...

    I feel like I am starting a ridiculous thread here, but hey ho - flag me and I'll ban myself for spamming! hahaha
    lol but in all seriousness, no just no, leave it as it is. I mean can you imagine the confusion for people, and the emotional pain they will be in having to decide which reason to thank? as it is its highly abused, most dont know how to use the function already.

    a few additions for your list there...

    - because theyre feeling lonely and hope someone will thank a post they make if they thank and reply then hope to get a thanks in return

    - because they are saying "I saw your post"

    - because they didnt even read the post and just thanked it cause someone they like posted.......anything at all!

    this is a windup innit?
    Last edited by funlover12; 30-12-15 at 18:02. Reason: I really really hope it is :/


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to funlover12 For This Useful Post:

    irishdeltaforce (30-12-15)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    In your dreams
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    hahaha,
    no, no windup at all.
    what you are like people.
    I've put my heart on a plate and that what you get...


    that's it.
    I am not talking to you for another 11 days.... cause I am going on holidays

    Happy New Year!

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knocking on heavens door.
    Posts
    10,711
    Reviews
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLu View Post
    hahaha,
    no, no windup at all.
    what you are like people.
    I've put my heart on a plate and that what you get...


    that's it.
    I am not talking to you for another 11 days.... cause I am going on holidays

    Happy New Year!
    LuckyLu
    Enjoy them

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLu View Post
    hahaha,
    no, no windup at all.
    what you are like people.
    I've put my heart on a plate and that what you get...


    that's it.
    I am not talking to you for another 11 days.... cause I am going on holidays

    Happy New Year!
    nice try, but its obvious (well to me) that it will be a poasting holiday
    Last edited by funlover12; 30-12-15 at 18:58.


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,049
    Reviews
    2

    Default

    Facebook has a range of Like sub choices and they work well so why not EI

    Unfortunately the tech team have taken so long to correct the problems with the new site (and many still exist) so you will forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting for this idea to get up and running.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Hillsborough
    Posts
    1,354
    Reviews
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLu View Post
    hahaha,
    no, no windup at all.
    what you are like people.
    I've put my heart on a plate and that what you get...


    that's it.
    I am not talking to you for another 11 days.... cause I am going on holidays

    Happy New Year!
    Well I liked you idea - Reason: Agree with your argument.

    Thanks is definitely ambiguous. Sometimes when people are fighting on a thread and Thank the other person's post meaning "I take your point but ...".

    I tend to thank posts for one of three reasons - I agreed with a point made, I appreciated useful information, I enjoyed a joke - but there are lots of others.

    I think it would be over the top to make each person choose a reason, but adding buttons like "You made me laugh", "I agree with you", and "Don't agree with you" would add something. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that much of the forum functionality was not developed by Escort Ireland, so it may not be that easy to add features.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •