Page 30 of 656 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130530 ... LastLast

Thread: football

Reviews

Looks like McCarthy is going to be the next Irish manager as apparently he is going to meet with the FAI top brass this weekend to sort out details about a contract.
    The Truth is out there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    Its looking like its going to be mick mc carthy for the new manager.
    You just beat me to it with your post. Yeah it looks like McCarthy is going to get a second go as Irish boss. A lot of people (in parts of Cork anyway) would still have negative feelings about him over the Saipan affair but he looks to be the best choice available in terms of changing the Irish squads playing style. Obviously the quality of players available now is a long way below what it was between 1996 and 2002 but there should surely be some improvement over what we have seen the last 18 months or so.
    The Truth is out there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post:

Reviews

I wonder will the fai even interview any other candidates? Yere a loyal bunch to yere own ye corkonians. Mick was right in 2002, ha ha.
    There is still some speculation that Stephen Kenny is in with a chance of getting the job but I think the U21 manager`s position would be a more realistic role for him, whether he would leave Dundalk for that job is another matter though. Some talk also that Robbie Keane will be McCarthy`s assistant but I don't think that will happen especially after the controversy with his namesake. As for Saipan in 2002 there was fault on both sides back then but anyway it`s all water under the bridge now.
    The Truth is out there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Houghton ruled himself out today which is a shame but not a surprise. I know Trappatoni had his downfalls, but it would be a shame if he scared the FAI and fans away from another non-English native speaking manager. Assuming the FAI have been scared away though, I would not mind an Allardyce or Bruce appointment to steady the ship before a younger manager comes in for Euro 24 or WC 26 qualifying. Not Mick Mc though, he hasn't managed in the Prem for 7 years and did not make any progress at Ipswich, he simply kept them mid table and did an average job

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Galwegian1993 View Post
    Houghton ruled himself out today which is a shame but not a surprise. I know Trappatoni had his downfalls, but it would be a shame if he scared the FAI and fans away from another non-English native speaking manager. Assuming the FAI have been scared away though, I would not mind an Allardyce or Bruce appointment to steady the ship before a younger manager comes in for Euro 24 or WC 26 qualifying. Not Mick Mc though, he hasn't managed in the Prem for 7 years and did not make any progress at Ipswich, he simply kept them mid table and did an average job
    What non English native speaking manager is out there that would be seriously interested in taking on the Irish manager`s role? No one that I am aware of.
    The Truth is out there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post:

slimboyfat (23-11-18)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by westcorklad View Post
    What non English native speaking manager is out there that would be seriously interested in taking on the Irish manager`s role? No one that I am aware of.
    Maybe that is the case, but it would be sad if there was such a manager interested and he was not considered because of Trappatoni's poor English and fixed view of the creative potential of Irish players

Reviews

Back to the future!

The Independent and The Times and other news outlets are saying that McCarthy has agreed a two year deal with John Delaney and the F.A.I.,worth 2.4 million to take over as Republic of Ireland manager.
    To be confirmed this weekend!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to slimboyfat For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat View Post
    Back to the future!

The Independent and The Times and other news outlets are saying that McCarthy has agreed a two year deal with John Delaney and the F.A.I.,worth 2.4 million to take over as Republic of Ireland manager.
    To be confirmed this weekend!
    What's all the rush about ? It's not like there's any real panic appointing a manager - it would be different if we had a competitive fixture coming up soon.
    Are we there yet ?

Reviews

I think they wanted a manager in place before the euro 2020 draw in dublin. The draw is on 2nd december.
    Yes that's it exactly. It would have been bad PR if the draw had gone ahead in Dublin without a manager in place. So now we know that McCarthy will be the man, for the next 12-18 months anyway.
    The Truth is out there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Stephen kenny will replace mick as ireland manager after the euro 2020 finals. Is that a strange decision to make now?

Anything the FAI top brass decide to do now is bizarre. I think this is mainly to do with taking the heat off John Delaney after the negative media coverage about him this last while. Whether it will deflect attention from him in the medium to long term is another thing.
    The Truth is out there.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post: