Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Season of festive hypocrites

Reviews

Default The Season of festive hypocrites

So it is here again, the season of goodwill and gluttony when hordes of heathens enthusiastically indulge in unrestricted debauchery to celebrate the birth if Christ they do not beleave in.

Matt Harper
    Limerick.

I read this in yesterdays letters to the editor in the Sunday Independent.

And my reaction was Yes,Yes! Please make it so.

Sounds like a f**king brilliant Christmas to me bring it on.

But then on refection I think Matt was being a small bit sarcastic.

Ah well!

Matt, If your reading this I hope your prediction will come true for this heathen & I enthusiastically hope the same for all my fellow posters.

And I will be thinking about all the people at this time of year that have lost loved ones at Christmas or that are alone.

I will be thinking about you all anyway on the day.

Even you Matt.

Irishdeltaforce.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irishdeltaforce For This Useful Post:

Clueless (15-12-15), NoBrain2 (14-12-15)

Reviews

Wee bit of debauchery is good for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

irishdeltaforce (14-12-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post
    So it is here again, the season of goodwill and gluttony when hordes of heathens enthusiastically indulge in unrestricted debauchery to celebrate the birth if Christ they do not beleave in.

Matt Harper
    Limerick.

I read this in yesterdays letters to the editor in the Sunday Independent.

And my reaction was Yes,Yes! Please make it so.

Sounds like a f**king brilliant Christmas to me bring it on.

But then on refection I think Matt was being a small bit sarcastic.

Ah well!

Matt, If your reading this I hope your prediction will come true for this heathen & I enthusiastically hope the same for all my fellow posters.

And I will be thinking about all the people at this time of year that have lost loved ones at Christmas or that are alone.

I will be thinking about you all anyway on the day.

Even you Matt.

Irishdeltaforce.
    The sad truth is what are we without some belief in something we all know can not exist? We can live any life and believe what ever we want to,I am not in any way saying science is wrong here.My point is when our end comes regardless of how we lived out lives is it not good to have hope? My real point is that life without hope is not life.
    Last edited by bettercallsaul; 14-12-15 at 22:44.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bettercallsaul For This Useful Post:

irishdeltaforce (14-12-15)

Reviews

You could've at least provided a link or some basic data as to what the fook you are on about (without needing to google of course cos I is lazy).

Quote Originally Posted by bettercallsaul View Post
    The sad truth is what are we without some belief in something we all know can not exist? We can live any life and believe what ever we want to,I am not in any way saying science is wrong here.My point is when our end comes regardless of how we lived out lives is it not good to have hope? My real point is that life without hope is not life.
    ^^^ This. Do I believe in a god/gods? Nope. Do I believe in heaven and hell? Nope. What I do believe however is that there are 'forces' at work in nature that we and more importantly science cannot explain. I have seen and experienced things which fall into this category. Life is a mysterious 'accident'. And essentially that is indeed what life is, an accident. But look at how complexly detailed life is. Ourselves. Our cells. How our body works. How everything is so intrinsically connected. Nature has a way about it, a will or desire even. Humans aside, look at the natural world. How everything has a balance (or at least did until we came along).

Cancer. Every single one of us has been or will be affected by cancer at some point in our lives, either directly or indirectly. But why does it exist? Is it some evil plagued on us by the devil? Of course not. Cancer and all similar diseases exist solely as a means of population control for us. Natures way of trying to balance humans.

Now I'm not saying that nature has a consciousness, but I stress again that there are things in the universe that life was not meant to understand. And regardless of all our advances, there are things that we can never uncover the whole truth about. Look at the assumptions we make about life on other planets. Just because water is a key condition for life on this planet, does not mean that it is the same for another. Look at what there is on our own planet to be discovered, some of which we will never know.

I stress again a point I made earlier on another thread, slightly modified. Humans have this deep hunger for knowledge, so much so that we're willing to sacrifice other animals, plants, even the planet in order to learn. But somewhere along the line someone has got to say enough. Just because we can does not mean that we should. Yet for the most part in our history, all we concern ourselves with is our ability to do, not to whether or not we should do.
    I'm not insane, I'm adorably bonkers!!!

Frumsp & LDM Industries

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

irishdeltaforce (15-12-15)

I'll tell you this... No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TwistedTransistor For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Live life to the full for tomorrow we die- simples!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clueless For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Being an atheist does not make you a heathen and sadly the Season for celebrating Christmas for me means abstinence, as I'm staying with my family with no real means of escape! All I can do is eat, drink and be merry and I shall be doing that in abundance (the Diet starts Jan 1st).

I don't believe in any religion, but I do believe in family and since we have this holiday forced onto us, I am more than happy to take the opportunity to spend some time with the people I love and show my appreciation with presents under a non religious tree.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

The origins of Christmas like in pre-Christain days among the "heathens anyway.
    Saturnalia, Yule, mid Winter solstice, Sol Invictus, etc.
    Part of the resurrection /rebirth are the lenghtening days and the hope/relief of the returning Spring.
    For those that could afford it, it was always a time of excess, long before the Christians, who incorporated it into their ceremonies.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alcatel For This Useful Post:

irishdeltaforce (15-12-15), SteveB (15-12-15)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    The origins of Christmas like in pre-Christain days among the "heathens anyway.
    Saturnalia, Yule, mid Winter solstice, Sol Invictus, etc.
    Part of the resurrection /rebirth are the lenghtening days and the hope/relief of the returning Spring.
    For those that could afford it, it was always a time of excess, long before the Christians, who incorporated it into their ceremonies.
    This is true, the story goes that no one would take notice of the celebration of Christ on the official date, so they stole the already established festivities and celebrations of the Pagans and started to call that Christmas. Very sneaky, much like the Irish politicians of today!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

alcatel (15-12-15), SteveB (15-12-15)

Reviews

All Christian holidays and celebrations have pagan roots

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (15-12-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast