Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: A kind inquiry regarding user banning/post reporting and moderating??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default A kind inquiry regarding user banning/post reporting and moderating??

    Firstly, I'd like to say, I'm not opposed to forum moderation.
    I think on a forum as unique as this one, it's necessary, especially where there are ties into genuine real life person to person interaction, and there is a large scope for genuine personal abuse and, I suppose you could go as far as to say, defamation.

    I'm raising this issue or making this thread basically as, I am relatively new to the forums - a couple of weeks or so - and have been banned on two occasions already.

    On both occasions, I contacted the websites team, inquiring as to the reason for the ban, and was kindly given prompt and genuine replies, which I appreciate.
    My contact with them, which took the form of appeals, essentially, resulted in the initial ban being moved from permanent to temporary status, and the second, being lifted entirely.

    It seemed on both occasions, my posts or posting style, was subject to misinterpretation which, potentially offended some users but, was ultimately recognized as not being inherently or intentionally demeaning, distasteful, or spurious, as it were.


    I suppose initially I just wanted to clarify that, my own approach is basically; I enjoy posting on internet boards, mostly in the form of stories, story telling, and I enjoy reading the experiences of others.
    I guess I took this up as a pass time or hobby of sorts, being influenced by the various writing styles of other well known comic authors.
    The writing style can incorporate an approach which, I personally finds lends an almost obvious humorous element to the tone of the post, the intention being, to make long winded or "wall of text" posts, more engaging or "readable".

    This style of writing, known as incorporating what's referred to as "satire", can sometimes be misconstrued; as on my own two previous occasions, as "trolling".


    I suppose I'd like to clarify also that, although I do write elaborately, the fact of the matter is, there are no untruths in my posts - I certainly don't "troll" (though other posters on the boards have made them accusations repeatedly), and despite the fact that the tone of my posts does incorporate to a certain degree, comical disingenuous references or, a "tongue in cheek" approach, I have never nor would ever, explicitly attack or undermine another poster or user.


    I guess I just wanted to clarify these things moving forward as, given two temporary bans thus far, I would hope that my writing style or approach does not continue to be misinterpreted.


    If it were possible, I think it would be a positive move by moderators to perhaps contact posters regarding what they feel might be an unsuitably worded post, previous to actually implementing a ban in future.

    I say this simply because, my writing style doesn't really change and, I would hope not to continue to be the subject of troll accusations or to be regarded as a "nasty" type of poster, moving forward.


    What's that you say?
    You're dedicating far too much time to this pal?
    You need to get laid etc...?

    Well, like I've mentioned before, this is an enjoyable passtime of mine, and I've actually made use of an somewhat unusual literary style in the past by dabbling in copyright; this is an area where I can exercise that interest, so I guess it's somewhat important to me that that is not hindered by misinterpretation.


    Again, I'm not certain as to the exact reason bans were implemented on my account previously; whether it was due to posts of mine being reported by other users (which I suspect), and a ban being implemented on the basis of that without sufficient inspection of the post itself in light of the nature of the complaint....?

    I have read that oftentimes, when one or more users report another users post to the moderating team, and immediate ban is often used, simply going on the "word" of the accusators, as oppose to inspection of the supposedly offending post and its genuine intention and content, itself.
    I would hope, taking these points into consideration, that a more discerned approach could be taken toward the implementation of bans in the future.


    But apart from that; love the boards, love the site - got nothing but love for ya'll.


    Peace.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunne For This Useful Post:

    tom rambo (17-11-15)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,329
    Reviews
    9

    Default

    That sounds so like my teacher telling my mother that I'm a little bollocks in a nice way and without having pops come in and beat the shite outa him.
    Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flappy For This Useful Post:

    irishdeltaforce (13-11-15), Mister Anderson (10-11-15), tom rambo (17-11-15)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    How does one make an appeal while banned especially if one is permabanned? I'm currently permabanned from another forum that uses a similar format to here, and can find no way of contacting the moderators.
    If the Phone Don't Ring, You'll Know it's Me.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ddublin west
    Posts
    3,670
    Blog Entries
    5
    Reviews
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flappy View Post
    That sounds so like my teacher telling my mother that I'm a little bollocks in a nice way and without having pops come in and beat the shite outa him.
    I guess Flappy, you are a right little Bollocks,,,,as you admit...Were you never spanked?
    As regards the impossible
    How do you contact a mod, when one is bannnnnnnnnnnnnnnned

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,874
    Reviews
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dunne View Post
    Firstly, I'd like to say, I'm not opposed to forum moderation.
    I think on a forum as unique as this one, it's necessary, especially where there are ties into genuine real life person to person interaction, and there is a large scope for genuine personal abuse and, I suppose you could go as far as to say, defamation.

    I'm raising this issue or making this thread basically as, I am relatively new to the forums - a couple of weeks or so - and have been banned on two occasions already.

    On both occasions, I contacted the websites team, inquiring as to the reason for the ban, and was kindly given prompt and genuine replies, which I appreciate.
    My contact with them, which took the form of appeals, essentially, resulted in the initial ban being moved from permanent to temporary status, and the second, being lifted entirely.

    It seemed on both occasions, my posts or posting style, was subject to misinterpretation which, potentially offended some users but, was ultimately recognized as not being inherently or intentionally demeaning, distasteful, or spurious, as it were.


    I suppose initially I just wanted to clarify that, my own approach is basically; I enjoy posting on internet boards, mostly in the form of stories, story telling, and I enjoy reading the experiences of others.
    I guess I took this up as a pass time or hobby of sorts, being influenced by the various writing styles of other well known comic authors.
    The writing style can incorporate an approach which, I personally finds lends an almost obvious humorous element to the tone of the post, the intention being, to make long winded or "wall of text" posts, more engaging or "readable".

    This style of writing, known as incorporating what's referred to as "satire", can sometimes be misconstrued; as on my own two previous occasions, as "trolling".


    I suppose I'd like to clarify also that, although I do write elaborately, the fact of the matter is, there are no untruths in my posts - I certainly don't "troll" (though other posters on the boards have made them accusations repeatedly), and despite the fact that the tone of my posts does incorporate to a certain degree, comical disingenuous references or, a "tongue in cheek" approach, I have never nor would ever, explicitly attack or undermine another poster or user.


    I guess I just wanted to clarify these things moving forward as, given two temporary bans thus far, I would hope that my writing style or approach does not continue to be misinterpreted.


    If it were possible, I think it would be a positive move by moderators to perhaps contact posters regarding what they feel might be an unsuitably worded post, previous to actually implementing a ban in future.

    I say this simply because, my writing style doesn't really change and, I would hope not to continue to be the subject of troll accusations or to be regarded as a "nasty" type of poster, moving forward.


    What's that you say?
    You're dedicating far too much time to this pal?
    You need to get laid etc...?

    Well, like I've mentioned before, this is an enjoyable passtime of mine, and I've actually made use of an somewhat unusual literary style in the past by dabbling in copyright; this is an area where I can exercise that interest, so I guess it's somewhat important to me that that is not hindered by misinterpretation.


    Again, I'm not certain as to the exact reason bans were implemented on my account previously; whether it was due to posts of mine being reported by other users (which I suspect), and a ban being implemented on the basis of that without sufficient inspection of the post itself in light of the nature of the complaint....?

    I have read that oftentimes, when one or more users report another users post to the moderating team, and immediate ban is often used, simply going on the "word" of the accusators, as oppose to inspection of the supposedly offending post and its genuine intention and content, itself.
    I would hope, taking these points into consideration, that a more discerned approach could be taken toward the implementation of bans in the future.


    But apart from that; love the boards, love the site - got nothing but love for ya'll.


    Peace.
    Is this LVT
    Last edited by xagerate; 09-11-15 at 23:35.


    Having recently lost the run of myself.....
    ....please indicate your level of satisfaction with this post as you exit.
    (All feedback is anonymous and used to improve your experience here)

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xagerate For This Useful Post:

    Flappy (10-11-15), Jorge (17-11-15), Escort AdvertiserSophieX (10-11-15)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xagerate View Post
    Is this LVT
    no, this makes sense
    Last edited by funlover12; 09-11-15 at 23:38. Reason: ...ish, to about 6 people with the required comprehension skillz


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knocking on heavens door.
    Posts
    10,707
    Reviews
    100

    Default

    Ya had me totally hooked for the first 2 chapters then I lost all interest.
    No idea if there's a happy ending involved but for your sake I really hope so.



    Quote Originally Posted by John Dunne View Post
    Firstly, I'd like to say, I'm not opposed to forum moderation.
    I think on a forum as unique as this one, it's necessary, especially where there are ties into genuine real life person to person interaction, and there is a large scope for genuine personal abuse and, I suppose you could go as far as to say, defamation.

    I'm raising this issue or making this thread basically as, I am relatively new to the forums - a couple of weeks or so - and have been banned on two occasions already.

    On both occasions, I contacted the websites team, inquiring as to the reason for the ban, and was kindly given prompt and genuine replies, which I appreciate.
    My contact with them, which took the form of appeals, essentially, resulted in the initial ban being moved from permanent to temporary status, and the second, being lifted entirely.

    It seemed on both occasions, my posts or posting style, was subject to misinterpretation which, potentially offended some users but, was ultimately recognized as not being inherently or intentionally demeaning, distasteful, or spurious, as it were.


    I suppose initially I just wanted to clarify that, my own approach is basically; I enjoy posting on internet boards, mostly in the form of stories, story telling, and I enjoy reading the experiences of others.
    I guess I took this up as a pass time or hobby of sorts, being influenced by the various writing styles of other well known comic authors.
    The writing style can incorporate an approach which, I personally finds lends an almost obvious humorous element to the tone of the post, the intention being, to make long winded or "wall of text" posts, more engaging or "readable".

    This style of writing, known as incorporating what's referred to as "satire", can sometimes be misconstrued; as on my own two previous occasions, as "trolling".


    I suppose I'd like to clarify also that, although I do write elaborately, the fact of the matter is, there are no untruths in my posts - I certainly don't "troll" (though other posters on the boards have made them accusations repeatedly), and despite the fact that the tone of my posts does incorporate to a certain degree, comical disingenuous references or, a "tongue in cheek" approach, I have never nor would ever, explicitly attack or undermine another poster or user.


    I guess I just wanted to clarify these things moving forward as, given two temporary bans thus far, I would hope that my writing style or approach does not continue to be misinterpreted.


    If it were possible, I think it would be a positive move by moderators to perhaps contact posters regarding what they feel might be an unsuitably worded post, previous to actually implementing a ban in future.

    I say this simply because, my writing style doesn't really change and, I would hope not to continue to be the subject of troll accusations or to be regarded as a "nasty" type of poster, moving forward.


    What's that you say?
    You're dedicating far too much time to this pal?
    You need to get laid etc...?

    Well, like I've mentioned before, this is an enjoyable passtime of mine, and I've actually made use of an somewhat unusual literary style in the past by dabbling in copyright; this is an area where I can exercise that interest, so I guess it's somewhat important to me that that is not hindered by misinterpretation.


    Again, I'm not certain as to the exact reason bans were implemented on my account previously; whether it was due to posts of mine being reported by other users (which I suspect), and a ban being implemented on the basis of that without sufficient inspection of the post itself in light of the nature of the complaint....?

    I have read that oftentimes, when one or more users report another users post to the moderating team, and immediate ban is often used, simply going on the "word" of the accusators, as oppose to inspection of the supposedly offending post and its genuine intention and content, itself.
    I would hope, taking these points into consideration, that a more discerned approach could be taken toward the implementation of bans in the future.


    But apart from that; love the boards, love the site - got nothing but love for ya'll.


    Peace.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to zilch For This Useful Post:

    tom rambo (17-11-15)

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    You know what?

    I'm actually kind of hesitant to continue posting until I get some actual relevant feedback on this query.

    There's a little bit of an unusual dynamic that's at work on these forums, which I'm not quite accustomed to yet.

    It seems like I have treaded on some toes in the past so, basically, I would prefer to avoid getting my account frozen again.

    Perhaps a moderator could shed some light on the whole issue?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunne For This Useful Post:

    tom rambo (17-11-15)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    On a web.
    Posts
    13,986

    Default

    A mod like a tailor holds a scissors in their hand
    Beside the thread holding the Sword of Damocles.
    Tread carefully and all is well.
    But put your foot in it
    and snip(like Bollocks 'thread)
    and down it comes on your head.
    But as with all executions, mistakes can be made.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    not here anymore.
    Posts
    12,323
    Reviews
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dunne View Post
    Firstly, I'd like to say, I'm not opposed to forum moderation.
    I think on a forum as unique as this one, it's necessary, especially where there are ties into genuine real life person to person interaction, and there is a large scope for genuine personal abuse and, I suppose you could go as far as to say, defamation.

    I'm raising this issue or making this thread basically as, I am relatively new to the forums - a couple of weeks or so - and have been banned on two occasions already.

    On both occasions, I contacted the websites team, inquiring as to the reason for the ban, and was kindly given prompt and genuine replies, which I appreciate.
    My contact with them, which took the form of appeals, essentially, resulted in the initial ban being moved from permanent to temporary status, and the second, being lifted entirely.

    It seemed on both occasions, my posts or posting style, was subject to misinterpretation which, potentially offended some users but, was ultimately recognized as not being inherently or intentionally demeaning, distasteful, or spurious, as it were.


    I suppose initially I just wanted to clarify that, my own approach is basically; I enjoy posting on internet boards, mostly in the form of stories, story telling, and I enjoy reading the experiences of others.
    I guess I took this up as a pass time or hobby of sorts, being influenced by the various writing styles of other well known comic authors.
    The writing style can incorporate an approach which, I personally finds lends an almost obvious humorous element to the tone of the post, the intention being, to make long winded or "wall of text" posts, more engaging or "readable".

    This style of writing, known as incorporating what's referred to as "satire", can sometimes be misconstrued; as on my own two previous occasions, as "trolling".


    I suppose I'd like to clarify also that, although I do write elaborately, the fact of the matter is, there are no untruths in my posts - I certainly don't "troll" (though other posters on the boards have made them accusations repeatedly), and despite the fact that the tone of my posts does incorporate to a certain degree, comical disingenuous references or, a "tongue in cheek" approach, I have never nor would ever, explicitly attack or undermine another poster or user.


    I guess I just wanted to clarify these things moving forward as, given two temporary bans thus far, I would hope that my writing style or approach does not continue to be misinterpreted.


    If it were possible, I think it would be a positive move by moderators to perhaps contact posters regarding what they feel might be an unsuitably worded post, previous to actually implementing a ban in future.

    I say this simply because, my writing style doesn't really change and, I would hope not to continue to be the subject of troll accusations or to be regarded as a "nasty" type of poster, moving forward.


    What's that you say?
    You're dedicating far too much time to this pal?
    You need to get laid etc...?

    Well, like I've mentioned before, this is an enjoyable passtime of mine, and I've actually made use of an somewhat unusual literary style in the past by dabbling in copyright; this is an area where I can exercise that interest, so I guess it's somewhat important to me that that is not hindered by misinterpretation.


    Again, I'm not certain as to the exact reason bans were implemented on my account previously; whether it was due to posts of mine being reported by other users (which I suspect), and a ban being implemented on the basis of that without sufficient inspection of the post itself in light of the nature of the complaint....?

    I have read that oftentimes, when one or more users report another users post to the moderating team, and immediate ban is often used, simply going on the "word" of the accusators, as oppose to inspection of the supposedly offending post and its genuine intention and content, itself.
    I would hope, taking these points into consideration, that a more discerned approach could be taken toward the implementation of bans in the future.


    But apart from that; love the boards, love the site - got nothing but love for ya'll.


    Peace.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to bettercallsaul For This Useful Post:

    tom rambo (17-11-15)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •