Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Ireland increase

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    If ee can keep it at the current rate, it will be an achievement in itself.
    There is and will be major pressure from Europe to increase/harmonise it.

Let's hope if Europe wants to "harmonise" that they do it across the board
    Motor tax
    Car prices
    Alcohol prices
    Etc etc etc
    This government just picks and chooses what it wants to harmonise to suit themselves.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot7 View Post
    I'll be honest, I've no interest in an argument or a back and forth given I had one with a friend over the weekend. I'll just say this:

I'm of the opinion that government spending and subsequently taxes should be much lower than they are currently. It's a libertarian viewpoint. We all here more than most see the dire consequences of giving the wrong people too much power - Fitzgerald and her ridiculous imminent Sexual Offenses "Law" despite massive evidence to the contrary and opposition against it being an example.

Anyway more on topic... I don't see why you have to tax a company's profits too. You already tax their employees on their income before they even get it into their hands, then when they spend that income no matter what on, they're taxed again. Then when the company makes any transactions on behalf of their running costs to produce whatever product/service they sell they're taxed again. Then when that product/service is actually sold to the end customer, tax takes up a chunk of the fee again. Then their shareholders are taxed whenever they make a share related transaction.

Taken all together, that's a lot of tax, a significant chunk of the companies turnover. Why does one have to tax their profits aswell? We'd do well to attract multinationals here rather than scare them away. Let's be honest - they were never here for any other reason than the corporate tax scheme, and not the 12.5% rate but rather the ways to circumvent it ie. the infamous "Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich".
    I'm sorry I asked

Good points, some of which I hadn't considered. But still I think regardless of how well or badly our system is doing there would be a transfer of tax burdens whether it was needed or not. It's the nature of the game.

yes we should by up to 4-5%,we under estimate our attraction to multinationals and by god dont they abuse that position.
    Last edited by I like to give Oral; 08-11-15 at 21:47.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12