Thread: When is an appointment actually an appointment?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Question When is an appointment actually an appointment?

OK, so we know what an appointment is — its 's arrangement to meet someone at a particular time and place.

So say I discuss today on the phone or via PM with a lady about an appointment for say tomorrow evening at 9pm and I'm told that 9pm is perfect and that she is looking forward to seeing me at that time. She then tells me to ring her and confirm the appointment at 8pm, one hour before the appointment.

This "conformation" makes sense if I have organised the appointment via PM as the lady gets to hear my voice and gain an insight into what I'm really like. It also goes some way to prove that I am still serious about the appointment and I am going to turn up.

Now, my question is this: When is the appointment official? Is it when she tells me today "that 9pm is perfect and that she is looking forward to seeing me at that time" or is it when I ring her an hour before to "Confirm" the appointment?

Some ladies ask you to ring half an hour before the appointment to confirm. If I had traveled a long distance and rang half an hour before only to be told that I could not see her at the previously agreed time and that I didn't have an official appointment until I confirmed it then TBH I probably would not be too happy!

So should guys complain if a lady does not answer their phone when they are trying to "Confirm" an appointment? Is it really worth organising an appointment in advance if it means nothing until actually "Confirmed" and where the lady could just change her mind and not be available at the previously agreed time?

My interpretation of the "conformation" call was to let the lady that everything was still OK on my side and that I would be keeping our appointment. But perhaps it is also the same for the lady and it is for her to let me know that everything was still OK on her side and that she would be keeping our appointment?

So when is an appointment actually an appointment?
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Petros For This Useful Post:

casman (24-09-15)