Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Astronomers propose life may exist on comet

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    741
    Reviews
    12

    Lightbulb Astronomers propose life may exist on comet

    Comets may have helped to sow the seeds of life on Earth and possibly other planets such as Mars early in the life of the solar system.

    The comet landed on by the spacecraft Philae could well be home to an abundance of alien microbial life, according to leading astronomers.

    Features of the comet, named 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, such as its organic-rich black crust, are most likely explained by the presence of living organisms beneath an icy surface, the scientists have said.

    Rosetta, the European spacecraft orbiting the comet, is also said to have picked up strange clusters of organic material that resemble viral particles

    The astronomers claim this comet is more hospitable for micro life compared to our artic regions.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESA_Rosetta_OSIRISwac_20141122-1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	110812
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute

    Albert Einstein

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinkydub5 For This Useful Post:

    tom sand (06-07-15)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Exciting times alright, I've always believed that we're not alone and if this comet is harbouring life well then there's no reason why there can't be life on other planets. Also I enjoyed your signature, relativity at it's finest
    I WAS SENT BY HIM WHO IS CALLED I AM

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenton For This Useful Post:

    Kinkydub5 (06-07-15)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    741
    Reviews
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
    Exciting times alright, I've always believed that we're not alone and if this comet is harbouring life well then there's no reason why there can't be life on other planets. Also I enjoyed your signature, relativity at it's finest
    There are hundreds of planets with "possible life" but these comets are probably the only chance of finding micro organisims in our life time because all the planets with possible life forms are in different Galaxy's millions of light years away. So it would be something special to be around for the biggest discovery of them all!

    Glad you liked the signature, couldn't think of anything more fitting!
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute

    Albert Einstein

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kinkydub5 For This Useful Post:

    Kenton (06-07-15), nibb (06-07-15)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,350
    Reviews
    153

    Default

    Of course, if there is life on the comet it will be only very primitive life. It is unfortunate that it is not intelligent life, because, as Monty Python observes, there is bugger all intelligent life here on Earth.


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

    Kinkydub5 (06-07-15)

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    741
    Reviews
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Of course, if there is life on the comet it will be only very primitive life. It is unfortunate that it is not intelligent life, because, as Monty Python observes, there is bugger all intelligent life here on Earth.

    LOL love monty python, genius!
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute

    Albert Einstein

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belfast, lap of luxury
    Posts
    14,857
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    I'm too young for Monty Python It's all rhubarb!

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    741
    Reviews
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Im too young for Monty Python it's all rhubarb!
    Definitely too young, wink wink...nudge nudge... Say no more, say no more
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute

    Albert Einstein

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinkydub5 For This Useful Post:

    Curvaceous Kate (06-07-15)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    993
    Reviews
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkydub5 View Post
    Comets may have helped to sow the seeds of life on Earth and possibly other planets such as Mars early in the life of the solar system.

    The comet landed on by the spacecraft Philae could well be home to an abundance of alien microbial life, according to leading astronomers.

    Features of the comet, named 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, such as its organic-rich black crust, are most likely explained by the presence of living organisms beneath an icy surface, the scientists have said.

    Rosetta, the European spacecraft orbiting the comet, is also said to have picked up strange clusters of organic material that resemble viral particles

    The astronomers claim this comet is more hospitable for micro life compared to our artic regions.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESA_Rosetta_OSIRISwac_20141122-1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	110812




    Of all the comets floating in space the first comet we manage to land on may be one with alien life, that's some fucking coincidence right there.

    Sounds more like some astronomers trying to stay relevant and get a grant from someone.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny2011 For This Useful Post:

    Kenton (07-07-15)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    741
    Reviews
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny2011 View Post
    Of all the comets floating in space the first comet we manage to land on may be one with alien life, that's some fucking coincidence right there.

    Sounds more like some astronomers trying to stay relevant and get a grant from someone.
    I'm sure that's possible, but it's equally possible they will find something. so looking for a grant wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing even if they are using false info to keep going.
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute

    Albert Einstein

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,350
    Reviews
    153

    Default

    Unlikely to be a coincidence. If it is confirmed, then it is likely to be some sort of very primitive life on many comets.
    Strangely many scientists suggested including inexpensive life-detection equipment on the probe that would have proven one way or another whether there was life on the comet.
    Scientific thinking was, when the probe was being launched over ten years ago, was that life on comets was impossible and that scientists that suggested it were not taken seriously.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

    johnfox (06-07-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •