Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years in Prison

Reviews

He obviously didn't check with customs about bringing the dogs therefore they are illegal, stuffed with drugs or not

He'll probably get a slap on the wrist and a fine due to his celebrity status and I doubt his dogs will be put down the same way Joe Publics dogs would be put down.

I think the pilot is screwed but.

I watch those programmes on Pick and Dave and it would seem impossible to get anything past customs in Australia if I ever got there. 12 hours to Bangkok is enough nevermind and extra 12 to Sydney lol
    Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SophieX View Post
    Did they have drugs stuffed inside them...

Seriously
    A shipment of drugs would have a much less impact on the Australian economy than the introduction of certain diseases which
    are carried by animals or plants. The fact that it is isolated and surrounded by water means that they have been able to keep
    certain diseases at bay that would be a huge cost to their agricultural sector if they managed to infiltrate the country.
    While drugs are a serious issue a handful of contaminated seeds or a diseased animal could have much deeper and strongly
    felt reprecussions for Oz therefore the seriousness with which they protect their borders
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

3. Default

It's easy enough to bring your dog(s) into Australia, just have them tested for rabies and a couple of other things between 5 and 45 days prior to the journey by a vet approved by the Aussie gov't, have them microchipped and passported. IIRC the quarantine period is only 10 days.

The dogs were flown out before their deadline expired.

Mr Depp is in depp shit because he ignored the rules. Now I personally think the Aussies are a bit too fond of rules at times, but there's one thing they're sticky about and that's applying the border rules to everyone. Mr Depp can well afford the 20 grand fine or whatever, but the poor pilot is in bigger trouble. Could be extradited from wherever he is, jailed and barred from landing there ever again and that will have serious repercussions for his career, probably terminal.

It's a pity the Aussies weren't so biosecurity mad when it came to foxes, rabbits, cane toads, several plants and a couple of insects and the animal which has caused more ecological damage than any other except humans: the domestic cat. Stable door and horses, innit?

PS: before the cat lovers jump on me, I like cats. They don't belong in Oz though.

Reviews

The animal that has caused the most ecological damage to Australia is the modern human, since the arrival of Europeans with the first fleet in 1788 to the present.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    A shipment of drugs would have a much less impact on the Australian economy than the introduction of certain diseases which
    are carried by animals or plants. The fact that it is isolated and surrounded by water means that they have been able to keep
    certain diseases at bay that would be a huge cost to their agricultural sector if they managed to infiltrate the country.
    While drugs are a serious issue a handful of contaminated seeds or a diseased animal could have much deeper and strongly
    felt reprecussions for Oz therefore the seriousness with which they protect their borders
    Yea , I remember seeing something about that on the simpsons.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

SophieX (27-05-15), TonyB (26-05-15)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    So Johnny Depp seems to be in deep shit at the moment and could face 10 years in prison for taking his 2 Yorkshire Terriers to Australia illegally and his pilot could spend up to 2 years in prison for his role in the situation.

What do you think about it?

I think Johnny Depp will get away with it, but will have to pay a fine.
    The pilot, I think will do time just because he isn't a celebrity.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...stralia-prison
    He will pay his way out of it.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    The fact that it is isolated and surrounded by water
    thats what people keep forgetting with Australia and most of it is uninhabited as well. They have to be super strict with rules.

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    thats what people keep forgetting with Australia and most of it is uninhabited as well. They have to be super strict with rules.

Westside.
    Half of it is desert and a lot of the rest isn't far off.
    Last edited by nonpareil; 27-05-15 at 10:11.

Reviews

I just finished an interesting chapter on Australia in this book http://www.jareddiamond.org/Jared_Diamond/Collapse.html

Australia has a very small portion of the country which is suitable for economic agricultural production, its is jut a salty desert and he painted a grim enough picture of the future without significant changes to the way they produced food.

Economic impacts: Feral cats have no obvious
    positive economic value. The cost of feral cats due to
    management and research has been estimated at $2
    million per year. The loss inflicted by feral and domestic
    cats, based on bird predation alone, has been estimated
    at $144 million annually6.
    Environmental impacts: Feral cats are
    exceptional hunters and pose a significant threat to the
    survival of many native species including small mammals,
    birds and reptiles. Feral cats have been implicated in
    extinctions of Australian native animals and have added
    to the failure of endangered species reintroduction
    programs (eg numbat, bilby). About 80 endangered and
    threatened species are at risk from feral cat predation in
    Australia according to Australia’s Environment Protection
    & Biodiversity Conservation
    Not close to the costs assciated with rabbits, foxes and Toads but a chunk of change all the same.
    Always check for lipstick or makeup transfer before you leave the apartment

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fiatpunter For This Useful Post:

rubberlover (27-05-15)

Reviews

People like Depp consider themselves demi gods, who we are all supposed to look up to hang on their every word and activity.

Rules and laws in their world don't exsit, they are for the "little" people, and not for them. they abuse their positions, and like was said earlier the pilot would lose his job and be ruined re his career.

You don't have to look at Depp, look at some of the Irish celebs (well those RTE et al promote) and their behaviour re tax, speeding fines, drink driving etc etc.
    Australia Eco system demand its protected, and, all it takes in one disease to ruin everything.

Recently its been discovered here(Ireland) that a seed, used in bird seeds, harbours a nasty weed called ambrosia, which causes incurable hay fever.

So I hope the screw the gobshite Depp for a few million.
    Last edited by rubberlover; 27-05-15 at 11:39.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast