Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: “Gay Cake” Guilty Verdict

Reviews

Default “Gay Cake” Guilty Verdict

Belfast County Court rules that a bakery that refused to ice a cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan discriminated on grounds of sexual orientation.

http://news.sky.com/story/1486774/ga...discrimination

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32791239

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0519/702111-ashers-cake/
    Last edited by SteveB; 19-05-15 at 09:38.

Reviews

Whilst I understand the ruling, is there not an element of freedom of choice been attacked here. The bakery concerned had, whether, you agree or not, strong religious beliefs and wished not to supply the cake. So now you can't have a mind of your own it seems. I was going to vote yes, but no I don't know. Its a bit like the gay way or no way. What about mutual respect. I wonder had it being a Muslim shop would that have happened.........

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubberlover For This Useful Post:

Best Before (19-05-15), EIFII (19-05-15), Kenton (19-05-15), redone7010 (19-05-15), willie wacker (19-05-15)

Biggest load of bollox, what happened to freedom of religion? They didn't verbally abuse them they just didn't feel comfortable doing something that went against their beliefs, I'm all for everyone to their own but the world is gone PC mad, soon I'm gonna have to come up with an entire new selection of insults!
    I WAS SENT BY HIM WHO IS CALLED I AM

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenton For This Useful Post:

Best Before (19-05-15), EIFII (19-05-15), Irish Sarah (19-05-15), redone7010 (19-05-15)

Was it a fairy cake?
    Who loves ya baby......!!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clyde For This Useful Post:

INVISABLE500 (20-05-15), JAMESCORK (19-05-15), slavetoyou (19-05-15), SophieX (20-05-15)

8. Default

SteveB - Theres no Belfast county

I'm glad there has been some sense and justice that has come over this cake row. For too long people in N.I have been able to discriminate and go against equality under the guise of religion. If you follow the news, or go into some areas of N.I you will see blatant racism and inequality against "minorities" is rife.

Ashers bakery(who refused to bake the cake) have had no problems for many years baking halloween cakes/buns so they rightly can not discriminate against the gay community and use religion as their excuse.
    Last edited by Devastator; 19-05-15 at 11:31.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Devastator For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (19-05-15), Dr Ms nonpareil (23-05-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    SteveB - Theres no Belfast county

I'm glad there has been some sense and justice that has come over this cake row. For too long people in N.I have been able to discriminate and go against equality under the guise of religion. If you follow the news, or go into some areas of N.I you will see blatant racism and inequality against "minorities" is rife.

Ashers bakery(who refused to bake the cake) have had no problems for many years baking halloween cakes/buns so they rightly can not discriminate against the gay community and use religion as their excuse.
    Nonsense. No one should be obliged to do something if it goes against their beliefs, religious or otherwise.
    If their reasons or behaviour makes no sense to you then so be it.

No one on here is happy about society's attempts to criminalise clients, me included, but I find it hypocritical that it is then acceptable to force others to behave in a way that goes against their own beliefs, just because it may conform to the ideas of others.

If the wider community disapproves of the baker's decision, then they can boycott their products and they would soon go out of business.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EIFII For This Useful Post:

Best Before (19-05-15), redone7010 (19-05-15)

Reviews

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Nonsense. No one should be obliged to do something if it goes against their beliefs, religious or otherwise.
    If their reasons or behaviour makes no sense to you then so be it.

No one on here is happy about society's attempts to criminalise clients, me included, but I find it hypocritical that it is then acceptable to force others to behave in a way that goes against their own beliefs, just because it may conform to the ideas of others.

If the wider community disapproves of the baker's decision, then they can boycott their products and they would soon go out of business.

Nonsense? Are you seriously calling sexual discrimination..sorry, scratch that....any type of discrimination nonsense?

Ashers are happy to rake in the money at Halloween without giving any thought to their "religious" beliefs but suddenly are holier than thou when it comes to a minority group/community of people that they will not take as much money from.

Religion should not be allowed to be used as an excuse that you can switch on and off as and when it please you.

People are already boycotting and have been for last few months, not just the bakery but also their products which are sold in shops,garages,etc

they have to pay the legal costs as well. jesus christ, people sometimes its easier to just agree with people rather than getting into an argument and going to court.
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

Ah well you can't have your cake and eat it.
    Who loves ya baby......!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Clyde For This Useful Post:

slavetoyou (19-05-15)

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast