Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: “Gay Cake” Guilty Verdict

@devastator

my point is that sometimes you have to be cute in life and just bake the cake. how simple it would have been and they would have avoided all this commotion.

for example someone on this forum could say something i dont agree with. i could do two things: get into an argument with them that gets me no where or just ignore it and get on with my sad happy life.
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    @devastator

my point is that sometimes you have to be cute in life and just bake the cake. how simple it would have been and they would have avoided all this commotion.

for example someone on this forum could say something i dont agree with. i could do two things: get into an argument with them that gets me no where or just ignore it and get on with my sad happy life.
    Another solution would have been to have refused the contract without giving a reason. You are not obliged in business to enter into a contract with anyone, nor give them a reason why.

Ashers did initially accept the contract, and then later tried to withdrew from it. To compound the problem, they gave a reason for trying to withdraw from the contract that was clearly illegal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Meursault (19-05-15)

Reviews

I personally don't see anything wrong with homosexuality but surely all this means is if I went to a shop which sold shirts and asked a gay person at the counter to print God against homosexuality, would he or she do it? I wouldn't expect them to do it or blame them.

Or go on the shankill road and ask a stall to print up the RA with chips on it, would they have to do it? Couldn't I sue them for discrimination against political beliefs?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaz For This Useful Post:

bollocks (19-05-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Another solution would have been to have refused the contract without giving a reason. You are not obliged in business to enter into a contract with anyone, nor give them a reason why.

Ashers did initially accept the contract, and then later tried to withdrew from it. To compound the problem, they gave a reason for trying to withdraw from the contract that was clearly illegal.
    Yet ironically the cake itself was to promote gay marriage which is illegal in NI

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

yea employers do this all the time. i remember reading on another forum that some guy with eye problems was getting turned down for jobs (and it was because of his disability) but the employers never stated outright "We are not hiring you because you cant drive" etc etc.

i still think they should have just baked it. not because of homosexual rights or anything, but because it was so easy to avoid a mess by just baking the cake.

im being condescending, but one should always strive to minimize stress in their lives.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Yet ironically the cake itself was to promote gay marriage which is illegal in NI
    There are a limited number of reasons that will enable a business to escape from a contract once it is entered into.
    Promoting an illegal act would be one.
    Although gay marriage is not recognised in Northern Ireland, and is not therefore “legal”, it is not “illegal” either because it is not prohibited by any law.
    Gay marriage is not illegal, therefore that is not a defence.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

EIFII (19-05-15)

Quote Originally Posted by bettercallsaul View Post
    Going by the law here at the moment I would have thought the case would have went the other way,the Judge said he believed the bakers have a strong religious belief and our constitution protects that,I would have assumed as much of ours is derived from the U.K. the same would apply,obviously not.
    As far as I`m aware, the UK doesn`t have a written constitution, but after that load of PC bull in NI, I for one have changed my mind about the proposed change to the constitution here and will now be voting no. After that court decision in NI, I imagine I wont be the only one doing so. Can anybody honestly see a voter who was making his mind up on how to vote deciding to vote yes because of that ruling.

12. Default

Sme sex marriage is not illegal in NI but it is not recognized as marriage but as a civil partnership. There are no laws being broken and any couples probably just refer to themselves as married because thats how they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    @devastator

Oh yes I understood that and in turn was saying the same from the other(customers) side. Either side could have just swallowed their pride and moved on without the need for public & legal challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

Or go on the shankill road and ask a stall to print up the RA with chips on it, would they have to do it? Couldn't I sue them for discrimination against political beliefs?
    No, because the RA is not a political party and TBF you probably wouldn't get out of the shop alive to try and sue anyone(same on both sides!)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I personally don't see anything wrong with homosexuality but surely all this means is if I went to a shop which sold shirts and asked a gay person at the counter to print God against homosexuality, would he or she do it? I wouldn't expect them to do it or blame them.

"God against homosexuality" could be considered discriminatory and illegal and could be easily refused.
    The “RA” is an illegal organisation and again could easily be refused.
    Gay marriage is not illegal, however.

Of course, best way is to politely refuse without giving a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post

Oh yes I understood that and in turn was saying the same from the other(customers) side. Either side could have just swallowed their pride and moved on without the need for public & legal challenges.
    yea 100% agree with that.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast