Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Cultural Tourism'

1. Default

everything ok steph,you sound a bit down

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    The young Himba girl is beautiful and healthy looking. She has my favourite variety of tit.
    Some gorgeous boobies on her alright !!

She is beautiful xx
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Hm.

That's a very interesting take.

I never would've thought that NoIre might feel exploited by foreign tourists coming in and spending their hard earned.

But I get your point : when a culture is reduced to a few 'interesting highlights' , it might get tiresome and even offensive.

A very good point , though I don't think it quite equates an African indigenous (thus far unspoiled) culture being

exploited and gawked at by some 'paleface' -- and their culture 'diluted' .

People want what they don't have , without realizing that what they do have is what the rest of the world is aching for :

simplicity , harmony , comradeship , extended families , the elders taken care of , the children looked after ;

Those who do not have it , long for a Tshirt or a headfone , or jeans !! Jeans !! Yeap , that's it !!

Even if the local garb of loose fitting cotton is so much more practical and sensible !!

It's just human nature .

But imo it's bordering on criminal to exploit peoples as these (in vid) or the Jarawas , or (I'm sure) countless others.

*btw -- thank you for the double space try

I really appreciate it xx
    Northern Ire is not the best example I know, but it gives it a more personal take, You did ask in your post, how would you like it if it happened in

your home, I was trying to personalise it. As for spoiling other cultures through interaction, I suppose it is just what happens. Maybe it is a bit of

a selfish wish , us, wanting to keep their lifestyle pure,( maybe, maybe not) We might , for instance, want to help these tribes by giving them

modern medicines to help prolong their lives, but , is that a good thing? are their cultures able to look after greater amounts of the elderly for

instance? But , once you have intervened, where do you draw the line? Do you protect them by prohibiting contact from the outside world? which is

hypocritical of us.

I think it is just one of those things where shit happens. We cannot deny people the right to change their lives forever , just because we think it is

the wrong thing to do. Because, at the end of the day, what do we know? we have not done too good a job with our own societies to dictate how

others should live theirs.

P.s , this spacing thing is a pain in the hole

4. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (23-02-15)

Reviews

Effectively destroying a culture in the name of tourism, wont be long before they're asking the women to cover themselves up!

Wouldn't want the tourists to blush

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBrain2 For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (23-02-15), Stephanie (23-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by funlover12 View Post
    to be fair you didnt have a point to begin with, or an opinion even of your own, in summation your post was a 'retweet' style
    like people who report the news and make a thread about it without making any comment themselves. in short your arse was firmly planted on the fence and you left it open to the members to begin the mind reading competition
    It was individual thought and opinions I was hoping for

No mind reading required , nor sought .

:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Has anyone seen it ?

Good , bad ?

What's your take on it ?

x
    ^^^ this would be another one of my threads' op. : you think I was sitting on any fence lol

: In literature and in life , open ended questions -- generally -- will foster conversation and an exchange of diverse ideas.

I do not need nor want anyone trying to read my mind and try to kiss my rosy behind.

I'd love for individual opinions -- the good , the bad , and even the ugly -- , just to mix it up a bit with all the inane

bollocks and gaze and gobshite 'shite' .

But if'd exert you beyond bear , please just ignore me , wouldn't you please !???

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post

P.s , this spacing thing is a pain in the hole .....
    I know !!!

Welcome to my world lol x

*I'll get to reply to your post too , but this just cracked me up xx

Quote Originally Posted by Blonde Alexa View Post
    Snooby rich people... i would of drop them there for a few days and turn back after to collect them ...
    Oh I SO agree with you !!

The cushy plushy white folk with the bottled water never out of reach of their plump little hands , leave 'em in the Bush

for a week for 'Proper' local experience like : on the quiet I'd arrange with the chief to make sure they'd rescue the

paleface and to Not let them be eaten by lions and such , but just leave them to their own devices ! But gotta be done

on the quiet , else these soft necks would never sign up !

Africa not the only place it's done : SoAm , SoEAsia , and elsewhere.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Blonde Alexa (23-02-15), Cable87 (23-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    Northern Ire is not the best example I know, but it gives it a more personal take, You did ask in your post,

how would you like it if it happened in your home, I was trying to personalise it. As for spoiling other cultures through

interaction, I suppose it is just what happens.

Maybe it is a bit of a selfish wish , us, wanting to keep their lifestyle pure,( maybe, maybe not) We might , for instance,

want to help these tribes by giving them modern medicines to help prolong their lives, but , is that a good thing?

are their cultures able to look after greater amounts of the elderly for instance? But , once you have intervened,

where do you draw the line? Do you protect them by prohibiting contact from the outside world? which is hypocritical of us.

I think it is just one of those things where shit happens. We cannot deny people the right to change their lives

forever , just because we think it is the wrong thing to do.

Because, at the end of the day, what do we know? we have not done too good a job with our own societies to dictate how

others should live theirs.

P.s , this spacing thing is a pain in the hole
    1. Why not just let them be ? Who says we have to interact with them ? And like so ?!!

2. Modern medicines ? They've spent a millennia with natural remedies. How presumptuous of us to think our way better ?

3. They can look after their elderly because their elders are not kept alive by artificial means (by modern medicine) ,

and so there's a harmony and natural ebb and flow to their society. Whereas with us (the 'developed world') ,

we keep our folks going even beyond reason ,even when they no longer want to be alive. What sense is that ?

4. But these people's lives would not be changing except for the tourist trade intruding and making a 'monkey' out of

the locals to be gawked at ! x

Ps : this spacing thing is a major pain in the neck x

Ps2 : I appreciate you posting x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (23-02-15)

Reviews

We are naturally inclined to go exploring other countries and civilisations, And with this comes the meeting of other people. It's just natural. And

sticking our noses into other peoples business is natural too. And it's a downhill spiral from there. If I remember correctly, you once posted that you

went to everest ? This is a type of tourism that has changed the lives of the locals, and the beauty of the mountain, we want

to go somewhere different and experience something different, we have to be mindful of the cost.
    Last edited by justfrank44; 23-02-15 at 22:39. Reason: fecking spacing ( I'm spaced out)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (26-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Cable87 View Post
    I completely get your point Miss Stephanie, and I can tell you that as a guy who has taken his BA and MA in Cultural Anthropology, it's something that I'm not only well aware of, but have encountered before. This is something which comes up again and again within the discipline, as ethical considerations are paramount for those who undertake field research.

There have been discussions within the discipline for years, and several books written on the subject. I can certainly agree that tourism of the kind that seems to be depicted in the video you posted is merely a form of exploitation, where the lifestyles of these peoples are reduced to rich/white/western tourist commodity/spectacle of the perceived 'primitive other'.

Here's a link that outlines the premise of a book on the topic:

http://www.academia.edu/528767/Book_...gical_Insights

http://www.centri.unicas.it/content/...rism_Cohen.pdf
    First of all : mwuuaaah !! so good to see you ! x

But tell me please : how do you balance scientific significance of curiosity , against preserving what you're actually

observing (<< indigenous peoples , or natural wildlife) ?

Do you not feel , that just by observing you alter natural behavior ?

What a hecking conundrum !! : if you want to learn , at the very very least you must observe. : BUT , by observing

you might be altering natural behavior !

What of it , in the scientific world ?

What of Jane Goodall , of Dian Fossey !??

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (23-02-15)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast