Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plain Packaging

There are three issues i believe with plain packaging from the manufacturers point of view.
    1.of course they are scared shitless that it will impact sales, and probably will
    2. I do believe they genuinely have an issue with someone else having a veto or control over their branding and whats called their proprietary branding.unfortunately for them it doesnt appear to be safe under irish law

And the third, the most contentious one is that it will show that the manufacturers are complicit in the illegal distribution of cigs into states as if plain wraps are found being smuggled, and testing proves that they were manuf. In a legit factory then the manufacturer will have been complicit in the distribution

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcitedcork For This Useful Post:

warmcome (18-02-15)

Reviews

Any company should be allowed have its brand on the product it sells. Cigarette company or not, I wouldn't blame the companies for issuing legal threats against the government here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zealot7 For This Useful Post:

warmcome (19-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot7 View Post
    Any company should be allowed have its brand on the product it sells. Cigarette company or not, I wouldn't blame the companies for issuing legal threats against the government here.
    Certainly is a big brother move, yet again though the government is going after easiest solution for them.
    If they were serious about reducing intake you reduce availability, start by setting a deadline where for example in 3 years time corner shops would no longer be allowed sell cigs and move down the line until in a few years time the products can only be sold in a licenced tobaconist:
    That way you also ease the impact of the reduction in duty will cause over a longer period

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xcitedcork For This Useful Post:

warmcome (19-02-15)

Reviews

If such a policy would mean less young, impressionable people take up such a self-destructive habit as smoking then the government should implement it.

The Smokers will need more than plain packaging to get them off the Cigs?

Reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8

I watched this two nights before the story broke here.... Great timing what?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jizrag For This Useful Post:

warmcome (19-02-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Barry White View Post
    I think that the whole thing is a pile of shite. I smoked for 23 years, finally kicking it 3years ago. When I smoked I couldn't have cared less what the packaging looked like. I can remember smoking cigarettes that I bought in Kuala Lumpur with pictures of smoke damaged lungs on them. Did it deter me from smoking? No, I simply turned the packet over to hide the picture. Now that I no longer smoke I don't find cigarette packets attractive, or find myself being lured back into smoking by the colour on a B&H box, frankly if they had a picture of a spread eagled Kelly Brook on them I still wouldn't smoke!. The reality is that addictions demand feeding, it doesn't matter what the packaging looks like, if you smoke you will continue to do so whether it is a plain packet or not.
    I can accept what you say here. I think the plain packets (not gold, no Royal crest etc) are aimed
    at potential smokers and less for those already addicted. As someone already pointed out, if
    it makes no difference, why are the companies spending millions on court cases?

Which is more important, that a company gets to keep its branding or that less people die of smoking?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Parrot For This Useful Post:

Jiberjabber (20-02-15)

Reviews

Plain packaging affects business.

Saw a basic profile yesterday that had me curious.........then I saw another one with all the bells and whistles with regard lingerie and provocative poses.
    Last night I was unwrapping the second one
    Last edited by xagerate; 20-02-15 at 17:33.

Having recently lost the run of myself.....
    ....please indicate your level of satisfaction with this post as you exit.
    (All feedback is anonymous and used to improve your experience here)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast