Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calls to speed up introduction of 'Purchase of sex legislation'

Reviews

Confirmation today of the number of human trafficking victims found in NI last year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31254686

In total 45 victims were rescued. Four of these were subjected to sexual exploitation. None were involved in prostitution.

Perhaps as TORL & Ruhama apparently read the EI forums, they could explain to us how these figures correspond with their campaign?
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

Clyde (09-02-15), JAMESCORK (09-02-15), Melindablondey (09-02-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (09-02-15), the traveller (11-02-15)

Reviews

Am I right in saying that this legislation is an unstoppable train, I presume there is no going back now??

We just have to wait for the dust to settle maybe
    I just ordered a chicken and an egg off the internet .......I'll keep ye posted which comes first!!!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by abcodiver View Post
    Am I right in saying that this legislation is an unstoppable train, I presume there is no going back now??

We just have to wait for the dust to settle maybe
    In the south, this legislation hasn't been voted on yet. If TDs bother to check the facts on coercive trafficking in Ireland, examine the lack of success of the Swedish Model and look at how Westminster voted last October, this will be dismissed out of hand.

Unfortunately that would require our TDs to have thought processes, honesty and courage. Probably best not to hold your breath.

Reviews

David Ford, the North's Justice Minister, accused the SDLP of talking 'nonsense' about abortion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31193557

Unfortunately, he, or no-one else, has had the courage to speak so plainly about Morrow's bill. In fact, it has been the self-same David Ford who has come closest to criticising, merely saying he had "reservations" about the bill. Under pressure, he just caved in.

Until 2013, David Ford was an elder in the Second Donegore congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. He was forced to retire from active duties as an elder over differences with fellow Presbyterians because of his support for gay marriage. I am suspicious that his "reservations" about the bill may have been overcome by similar pressure.

I have no doubt similar "reservations" are held by many politicians in the South, but they too, lack the courage to face down intimidation.

Reviews

In fairness to David Ford, he did oppose clause 6 (now clause 15) of Morrow's bill and his party (Alliance) voted against it. They in fact made up 7 of the 10 'no' votes.

Ford also commissioned the QUB report into NI sex work, a study which is much more realistic and factual than the nonsense put forward by the likes of TORL, Ruhama and the DUP. As a result it was dismissed by all three, as facts can be dangerous when it comes to a moral crusade.

The sad fact is that there no votes to be gained by supporting what is right in this case, so credit is due to the few independents plus Shatter and Norris, who have denounced this hopelessly flawed legislation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

SteveB (09-02-15)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12