Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle Obama ...

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Wouldn't that be considered 'wrong' in Irish culture ?

Or is it a subculture we're talking about , where it's acceptable ?

What would you (any of you guys !!) do if someone grabbed your girlfriend in a club ??
    I was quipping on how the activities you described resemble the drunken carry on that can be witnessed in many Irish cities and towns at the weekends. I meant no specific injury to the town of Gorey and, to the best of my knowledge, goats generally wander unmolested there

On your overall theme, we should always try to respect the traditions and customs of the people whose lands we decide to travel or live in regardless of how contrary they may seem to be to our own cultural sensibilities. What may be common or garden to you may insult someone else. Concentrate on our human commonalities and build mutual understanding rather than focus on the differences.

I'm stepping off my soap box now

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whoseyourdaddy For This Useful Post:

CupOfTea (06-02-15), Jiberjabber (06-02-15), Stephanie (06-02-15), Vitruvian (06-02-15)

3. Default

"As images of President Obama and the first lady, Michelle Obama, with the new Saudi leader, King Salman, circulated online after their brief visit to Riyadh on Tuesday, commentators, observers watching from afar, seized on the fact that Mrs. Obama had not covered her hair during the audience with the new monarch."

We becry that 'they' come to our countries and don't respect our culture.

How then do we get to go to 'their' countries and not pay the most basic respect ?

Should we be tippy toeing around Muslim cultures , or just be 'ourselves' ?

When I travel the world , I make it my business to know local customs , and respect them !

Cover up , not wear pants , wear a headscarf if needed. Have a chaperone if must.

Mrs. Obama -- ??

It being politics , it is not by accident or coincidence. Sending a message ?

xx
    Well it being politics, is she making a feminist statement that she is under no control?

I like how she gets it so *calculatingly* wrong when she wants.

MOB will be Prez in 20 years.
    Last edited by orpenmindollie; 06-02-15 at 00:19. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by xagerate View Post
    I don't believe you are are tolerant as you are making out
    Stop trying to wind me up
    No winding xx

Just making for open minded conversation

I am very open minded (so long no one's getting hurt !) , and tolerant and respectful of other cultures in a foreign land ,

(even if I don't necessarily agree with it). : If I visit , I respect local customs , and 'toe the line' x

: If I see the downtrodden , I try to help -- but keeping in mind that my fleeting presence and attempt at assistance may

cause more harm than good. You gotta weigh it x

I wear a bikini where it's acceptable , cover up where it's expected or preferred by the locals. Simple really xx

: When you're willing and able to respect the locals -- however backwards they might seem to you -- , you get to see and

experience so much more !!!!!

But also at the same time , I am one of the most judgmental persons I know !! : Very strong sense of right and wrong ,

and very unforgiving of those who morally fall short xx

It just might be that your and my idea of right and wrong in this particular case are not exactly the same ... xx

So long it's disagreeing respectfully xx
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

CupOfTea (06-02-15), funlover12 (25-03-15), Vitruvian (06-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Quilliam Translation and Analysis of Islamic State Manifesto on Jihadist Brides. WARNING - Long, dry reading

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/pr...hadist-brides/
    It's some 41 pages !!

Just started reading it :

"This is a piece of propaganda aimed at busting myths and recruiting supporters. Importantly, it is not in any way aimed at a Western audience. "

"The text is, unsurprisingly, laced with references to the Islamic scriptures. However, the myriad references – overt and otherwise – to Saudi Arabia suggest that the target audience can be narrowed down ever further to, more than anyone else is women in the Kingdom."

Interesting.

Isis trying to recruit women to their cause and to their 'lifestyle' , from Saudi. Ha. Very interesting indeed !

I'm only on page 6 x

Boo. Argh , the actual Manifesto -- talk about dry and difficult reading !

Page 14-15 : "worship is the only reason for their (muslims) existence." , making friends and being friendly with infidels is

wrong (not only in Isis , but anywhere in the world , at any time) ; science is bad bad bad , except in few cases ,

where it helps Muslims. (???)

Can't do it. Will have to wait for another day. Can't read it x

Quote Originally Posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post
    I was quipping on how the activities you described resemble the drunken carry on that can be witnessed in many Irish cities and towns at the weekends. I meant no specific injury to the town of Gorey and, to the best of my knowledge, goats generally wander unmolested there

On your overall theme, we should always try to respect the traditions and customs of the people whose lands we decide to travel or live in regardless of how contrary they may seem to be to our own cultural sensibilities. What may be common or garden to you may insult someone else. Concentrate on our human commonalities and build mutual understanding rather than focus on the differences.

I'm stepping off my soap box now
    I like your soapbox x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

whoseyourdaddy (06-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfTea View Post
    No idea whether it's culture or subculture. Probably more age related than anything else. I'm in my early 20s and I see it all the time among guys my age who knowingly, and unknowingly, go after girls in relationships to see how far they'd get with them. They're generally the same ones you can look at on a night out and immediately know that they're going to try it.

As for what I'd do? Personally, I'd have enough trust and confidence that my girlfriend could deal with the person herself but if not I'll get in between them, then it would depend on what else the person does to myself or my hypothetical girlfriend.
    Hm. So if a drunk grabbed your girl and started molesting her by groping her , you'd let her handle it ?

At which point would you think it warranted that you should come to her aid ? x

I think it is just wrong altogether to be grabbing women like so , period. x in my earlier days even when partying hard

that was just not acceptable , it was not a 'done thing' anywhere I went xx

Do the girls like it ? Is it a sign of desirability -- how many times a girl gets grabbed ?

Cultural differences , I tell ya !

What about the boyfriend or date ? Is it not a huge disrespect / offense to be grabbing someone's girl ? Isn't that like

walking all over a man's manliness ?? xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Larrii (07-02-15)

Blog Entries

So you think it was US media vilifying her because she is black , and not Arab media in an effort to foment strife ?

I do not know , why I'm asking xx
    Hardly. The U.S media pays this wardrobe mishap undue attention because 1) laziness 2) she is a powerful African-American figure and the wife of POTUS.

It's never been common for Western female politicians to cover their heads when visiting before...
    Last edited by Cassandra; 06-02-15 at 21:05.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cassandra For This Useful Post:

Larrii (07-02-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Hardly. The U.S media pays this wardrobe mishap undue attention because 1) laziness 2) she is a powerful African-American figure and the wife of POTUS.

It's never been common for Western female politicians to cover their heads when visiting before...
    Agreed, Condolleeza Rice is, in my opinion, a far more influential African American figure than Mrs Obama and she drew little attention by visiting the same country scarfless. So let's not ethnithisize (if that's even a word!) the argument.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

.. Just making for open minded conversation .. xx

Steph it will come as a shock to you that some of your fellow americans are even more open minded than you are.

It's pretty clear that the saudis know that michelle is really a man, and so "he" doesn't need to wear a headscarf. Because he is a he. I mean she is a he. Or is he a she?

http://jezebel.com/utterly-moronic-b...a-w-1641311022

Mmmm-hmm

Michelle is a great big Tease and I think she would make a great dominatrix

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast