Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80

Thread: Michelle Obama ...

  1. #1

    Question Michelle Obama ...

    "As images of President Obama and the first lady, Michelle Obama, with the new Saudi leader, King Salman, circulated online after their brief visit to Riyadh on Tuesday, commentators, observers watching from afar, seized on the fact that Mrs. Obama had not covered her hair during the audience with the new monarch."

    We becry that 'they' come to our countries and don't respect our culture.

    How then do we get to go to 'their' countries and not pay the most basic respect ?

    Should we be tippy toeing around Muslim cultures , or just be 'ourselves' ?


    When I travel the world , I make it my business to know local customs , and respect them !

    Cover up , not wear pants , wear a headscarf if needed. Have a chaperone if must.

    Mrs. Obama -- ??

    It being politics , it is not by accident or coincidence. Sending a message ?

    xx
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

    Larrii (03-02-15)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    "As images of President Obama and the first lady, Michelle Obama, with the new Saudi leader, King Salman, circulated online after their brief visit to Riyadh on Tuesday, commentators, observers watching from afar, seized on the fact that Mrs. Obama had not covered her hair during the audience with the new monarch."

    We becry that 'they' come to our countries and don't respect our culture.

    How then do we get to go to 'their' countries and not pay the most basic respect ?

    Should we be tippy toeing around Muslim cultures , or just be 'ourselves' ?


    When I travel the world , I make it my business to know local customs , and respect them !

    Cover up , not wear pants , wear a headscarf if needed. Have a chaperone if must.

    Mrs. Obama -- ??

    It being politics , it is not by accident or coincidence. Sending a message ?

    xx
    Article with pictures:

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dia-early.html

    Interesting thought Stephanie, somewhat agreed, diplomacy has very strict rules, so on that level she should aware of them, or her assistant at least.

    So definitely not a coincidence, however I'm not sure, if she has the right to send messages?!

    On the other side, imagine what will happen if you wanted to go for a walk in Teheran wearing hot pants and crop top, for example.
    Last edited by Stella; 03-02-15 at 17:56.
    Good bye Ireland!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella For This Useful Post:

    Escort AdvertiserStephanie (03-02-15)

  5. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    [I] When I travel the world , I make it my business to know local customs , and respect them !
    Completely agree, it's a sign of being cultured!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    I'm not sure, if she has the right to send messages?!

    On the other side, imagine what will happen if you wanted to go for a walk in Teheran wearing hot pants and crop top, for example.
    By virtue of the fact that she's the First Lady of the US means not so much that she has the right to send messages but that her actions will be perceived as a message anyway. Despite not being a politician she still has a diplomatic role!

    Also, nothing good I'd imagine. Especially since whatever punishment they declare can't be revoked as all Court rulings in Iran are final and cannot be repealed.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CupOfTea For This Useful Post:

    Stella (03-02-15), Escort AdvertiserStephanie (03-02-15)

  7. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Article with pictures:

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dia-early.html

    Interesting thought Stephanie, somewhat agreed, diplomacy has very strict rules, so on that level she should aware of them, or her assistant at least.

    So definitely not a coincidence, however I'm not sure, if she has the right to send messages?!

    On the other side, imagine what will happen if you wanted to go for a walk in Teheran wearing hot pants and crop top, for example.
    Just looked at the pictures. She's acting like a petulant child !!

    I hope to god there's more in the background and not just her as a human being failing in her position.

    Letting her husband and her country down. In a position such as hers , there's no room for a scowl !

    She wore a headscarf in Indonesia , wore a head cover to the Vatican , what now ?



    Walking in Tehran -- Single White Blonde Female .... covered or not. Gambler much ? xxx

    (Though Tehran not nearly as bad as some other places x)




    ** maybe Obama been saving his virility for an affaire ? Instead of showing some ooomphf in world politics ?

    Me bad x
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

    Stella (03-02-15)

  9. #5

    Default

    Diplomatic protocol followed for many years by the USA is that their top ladies and senior diplomats don't cover their hair in Saudi. First Lady never did, Hillary didn't, IIRC Condoleeza didn't.

    They do cover their arms & legs, but not their heads. The only time heads are covered is when visiting a mosque.

    Whether anyone should be pandering to the Saudis is another issue, but not covering heads what US women of power do. The Saudis don't seem to have a major problem with it. Money talks.
    Last edited by liffey; 03-02-15 at 18:34.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to liffey For This Useful Post:

    Cassandra (03-02-15), nonpareil (21-03-15), Stella (03-02-15), Escort AdvertiserStephanie (03-02-15)

  11. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liffey View Post
    Diplomatic protocol followed for many years by the USA is that their top ladies and senior diplomats don't cover their hair in Saudi. First Lady never did, Hillary didn't, IIRC Condoleeza didn't.

    They do cover their arms & legs, but not their heads. The only time heads are covered is when visiting a mosque.

    Whether anyone should be pandering to the Saudis is another issue, but not covering heads what US women of power do. The Saudis don't seem to have a major problem with it. Money talks.
    Ha.

    Thanks xxx

    I had no idea .

    It just seemed inappropriate , perhaps in light of recent events -- Paris , etc. ; now Jordanian pilot apparently burned alive ..

    But if that is so , and many years the same , why was it newsworthy that she hadn't covered her hair ? Xx


    She was still scowling -- not pretty.
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

  12. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Just looked at the pictures. She's acting like a petulant child !!

    I hope to god there's more in the background and not just her as a human being failing in her position.

    Letting her husband and her country down. In a position such as hers , there's no room for a scowl !




    Walking in Tehran -- Single White Blonde Female .... covered or not. Gambler much ? xxx

    (Though Tehran not nearly as bad as some other places x)


    ** maybe Obama been saving his virility for an affaire ? Instead of showing some ooomphf in world politics ?

    Me bad x
    True, it's the scowl that is more problematic. While it was probably a sudden flight off to Iran, she could have tried to conceal her emotions a bit more!

    Around this time of year is about the only time you'd be walking around But as a white blonde female you would be exotic to them!

    And that is pretty bad of you... Obama, an affair Would be too soon after Clinton!

    Quote Originally Posted by liffey View Post
    Diplomatic protocol followed for many years by the USA is that their top ladies and senior diplomats don't cover their hair in Saudi.
    I genuinely did not know that!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to CupOfTea For This Useful Post:

    Escort AdvertiserStephanie (03-02-15)

  14. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,874
    Reviews
    18

    Default

    Wouldn't agree with her covering anything she wouldn't while in the USA.
    I couldn't give a shit about some of these ridiculous traditions or expectations when foreigners travel to countries like these.

    Muslim traditions should be for Muslim people end of story.
    I might bow to some minor traditions in other countries ....for example how people greet other people such as in Japan or other Asian countries..........but I don't agree with traditions where for example women are expected to cover up hair,faces,body.

    If she wants to do it fair enough...if she doesn't want to, fair play to her.
    She makes the choice,not them.


    Having recently lost the run of myself.....
    ....please indicate your level of satisfaction with this post as you exit.
    (All feedback is anonymous and used to improve your experience here)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    557
    Reviews
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Ha.

    Thanks xxx

    I had no idea .

    It just seemed inappropriate , perhaps in light of recent events -- Paris , etc. ; now Jordanian pilot apparently burned alive ..

    But if that is so , and many years the same , why was it newsworthy that she hadn't covered her hair ? Xx


    She was still scowling -- not pretty.
    Michelle Obama wearing or not wearing a headscarf won't matter a bit to the crazies that murder in the name of religion, they are going to do it no matter what.

    It's not newsworthy that she wasn't covered up, you were reading the Daily Mail, not aiming for the ABC1 readership.

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
    Michelle Obama wearing or not wearing a headscarf won't matter a bit to the crazies that murder in the name of religion, they are going to do it no matter what.

    It's not newsworthy that she wasn't covered up, you were reading the Daily Mail, not aiming for the ABC1 readership.
    Actually I posted the daily mail link as it was the first google hit.
    Good bye Ireland!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella For This Useful Post:

    Escort AdvertiserStephanie (03-02-15)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •