Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any programmers here ?

Reviews

Hmmm. This seems like it's an important exam to you ... how much is it worth

First off I hadn't actually ran that EchoTest class through my compiler, something you really should do after every few lines of code. If you run the class you'll get two compile time errors. Here's the fix

public class EchoTest
    {

public void echo(String name)
    {
    System.out.println("You said " + name );
    }

public static void main(String []args)
    {
    for(int i = 0; i < args.length; i++)
    {

EchoTest echotest = new EchoTest();
    echotest.echo( args[i] );

}

}

}

There's a little bit more going on in that second problem so I won't do it all for you but here's the main structure

public class NumberFormatter
    {

public static String format(int number, int width)
    {
    //This is just the skeleton of the method. Try working out the logic
    String answer = "";
    return answer;
    }

{
    NumberFormatter nf = new NumberFormatter();
    int foo = Integer.parseInt(args[0]);
    int bar = Integer.parseInt(args[1]);
    NumberFormatter.format( foo, bar);
    }

}

I'm leaving the logic in the 'format' function for you to attempt. If you get stuck then let me know but at least give it a try for for your own benefit. Look into the formatting classes in the API for some help.

The scanner library package was added in Java 5 AFAIK. It's a cleaner way of getting command line input. Not sure if your tutor would have wanted you using it though as it's a bit too easy.

Have a read through this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...anner-nextline

It has some good examples.

Edit: If the question is asking specifically for calls to static methods then you should look into what that means.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...static-methods

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...method-in-java
    Last edited by Jiberjabber; 17-11-14 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiberjabber View Post

First off I hadn't actually ran that EchoTest class through my compiler, something you really should do after every few lines of code. If you run the class you'll get two compile time errors. Here's the fix

public class EchoTest
    {

{
    }

{
    {

}

}

}

There's a little bit more going on in that second problem so I won't do it all for you but here's the main structure

{

{
    String answer = "";
    return answer;
    }

{
    }

}

I'm leaving the logic in the 'format' function for you to attempt. If you get stuck then let me know but at least give it a try for for your own benefit. Look into the formatting classes in the API for some help.

The scanner library package was added in Java 5 AFAIK. It's a cleaner way of getting command line input. Not sure if your tutor would have wanted you using it though as it's a bit too easy.

Edit: If the question is asking specifically for calls to static methods then you should look into what that means.

that looks complicated........i did coding years ago. wasnt for me
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    that looks complicated........i did coding years ago. wasnt for me
    It's not really but I guess that comes down to if you're into it or not. Or as you say, if it's for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jiberjabber For This Useful Post:

Meursault (17-11-14)

It's not really but I guess that comes down to if you're into it or not. Or as you say, if it's for you.

true, how the mind is coded is my fetish
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

Jiberjabber (17-11-14)

public class EchoTest
    {

{
    }

{
    {

}

}

}

{

{
    String answer = "";
    return answer;
    }

{
    }

}

i'd pay anything at this stage lol well if I pass i might get you some phone credit , thanks for that man I really appreciate it it gives me some idea anway better than have nothing done up ,yeah the string name she went yellow on me alright but the new code just says run echo and nothing else ?

I tried this

import java.util.Scanner;

public class Echo
    {

public static void main (String[] args)
    {

String message;
    Scanner scan = new Scanner (System.in);

System.out.println ("you said");

message = scan.nextLine();

System.out.println ("yousaid \"" + message + "\"");
    }
    }

it says you said and you input yousaid and it repeats it I think thats what it wants ??

so true you do feel like a gobshite with this like it takes ages just to get your head around the simple stuff you can't really learn the stuff you to do it again again until you crazy to get it so frustrating lol

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by naturis View Post
    i'd pay anything at this stage lol well if I pass i might get you some phone credit , thanks for that man I really appreciate it it gives me some idea anway better than have nothing done up ,yeah the string name she went yellow on me alright but the new code just says run echo and nothing else ?

I tried this

import java.util.Scanner;

public class Echo
    {

public static void main (String[] args)
    {

String message;
    Scanner scan = new Scanner (System.in);

System.out.println ("you said");

message = scan.nextLine();

System.out.println ("yousaid \"" + message + "\"");
    }
    }

it says you said and you input yousaid and it repeats it I think thats what it wants ??

That code you wrote will work but the output won't be formatted as per the question. Also the question asks you to include an 'echo' method which you haven't. A lot of how they'll mark it goes on how close to the given instructions you stick as they're looking for your understanding of class structure in this instance ... I'm guessing.

I ran the code that I gave you for the EchoTest class above and it works fine on my IDE. What are you using? Eclipse, Netbeans or are you using code highlighting in Notepad++? I'm guessing it's an IDE because your 'run echo' comment. If so you'll need to input some variables for the program in the IDE's console window. Can't see any errors in it under Eclipse

When is the assignment due in? I can't stick around much longer tonight unfortunately ...
    Last edited by Jiberjabber; 17-11-14 at 22:55.

Reviews

By the way I was joking about the code's worth man, I enjoy helping people with the programming mechanics. I'm not using Java much any more so it's just a way of making sure it's still fresh in my head if ever the need arises. PM me if you want with any further questions, I'm sure the rest of the E-I posters are enthralled by this and all but it's probably making some people wonder if they've logged into the wrong forum

Later.

By the way I was joking about the code's worth man, I enjoy helping people with the programming mechanics. I'm not using Java much any more so it's just a way of making sure it's still fresh in my head if ever the need arises. PM me if you want with any further questions, I'm sure the rest of the E-I posters are enthralled by this and all but it's probably making some people wonder if they've logged into the wrong forum

Later.
    yeah lol no if does help me get past this I will send on credit or something sure its entry into job at end of day ,have done man

Very impressed with your very intelligent reply here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast