Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Paying for sex will only be an offence in Northern Ireland

  1. Default Paying for sex will only be an offence in Northern Ireland

    FYI: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29950986

    A proposal to criminalise paying for sex was defeated in Westminster on Wednesday.

    A similar clause was voted through the Northern Ireland Assembly in October and is due to become law in 2015.

    Former home secretary Fiona Mactaggart MP had argued in favour of adding the amendment to the Modern Slavery Bill in the Westminster debate.

    Many sex workers say criminalising their clients will make their work more dangerous.

    Advocates of criminalising the purchase, rather than the sale of sex, say it will help curb demand and help victims that have been trafficked into sex work.

    In Sweden where buying sex is a criminal offence, there is mixed evidence of how effective the policy has been.

    Ms Mactaggart's amendment had cross party support from the Conservative former deputy Chief Whip, John Randall, and the Home Affairs Committee Chair, Keith Vaz, but it was defeated.

    The Westminster ruling will not affect the implementation of the law in Northern Ireland.
    I'm a BBC journalist, interested in reporting on issues affecting the sex-industry. Twitter @andybutshorter

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belfast, lap of luxury
    Posts
    14,857
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBCAndy View Post
    FYI: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29950986

    A proposal to criminalise paying for sex was defeated in Westminster on Wednesday.

    A similar clause was voted through the Northern Ireland Assembly in October and is due to become law in 2015.

    Former home secretary Fiona Mactaggart MP had argued in favour of adding the amendment to the Modern Slavery Bill in the Westminster debate.

    Many sex workers say criminalising their clients will make their work more dangerous.

    Advocates of criminalising the purchase, rather than the sale of sex, say it will help curb demand and help victims that have been trafficked into sex work.

    In Sweden where buying sex is a criminal offence, there is mixed evidence of how effective the policy has been.

    Ms Mactaggart's amendment had cross party support from the Conservative former deputy Chief Whip, John Randall, and the Home Affairs Committee Chair, Keith Vaz, but it was defeated.

    The Westminster ruling will not affect the implementation of the law in Northern Ireland.
    Tell me. How does Swedish Police staking out an apartment where a possible trafficked woman is being raped helping her? In the video clip that was released by the Swedish Police they showed an email that a concerned person sent to them believing this woman was working against her will and he gave them her working name and her address. They checked her out on a website and then went to the apartment.

    At no point did they knock on the door to see if she was okay or needed help. Instead they waited outside for someone to go in. They then pounced on the man outside the apartment and took him into their car for questioning. They fined the man and then said they would stay there for the rest of the evening in the hope of fining more potential clients.

    How can they wait outside that apartment in the knowledge that each man that went in could possibly be raping a woman who did not give her consent? If she was trafficked and working against her will and their job was to protect the safety of trafficked and coerced women, then surely their job was to get to her and make sure she was okay and not allow any further rapes?

    The Swedish Model is sick and only sick people could wish for this to be part of their society and believe it to be a good thing.

  3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

    Bella26 (07-11-14), Catriona (07-11-14), circumcised guy (07-11-14), Empirical (07-11-14), Escort AdvertiserIrish Sarah (07-11-14), oscarmilde (07-11-14), The Equalizer (08-11-14), Yamser (07-11-14)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knocking on heavens door.
    Posts
    10,711
    Reviews
    100

    Default

    I couldn't give a monkeys about any law change. I'll get my jollies where ever I choose.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zilch For This Useful Post:

    circumcised guy (07-11-14), Escort AdvertiserIrish Sarah (07-11-14), Petros (07-11-14)

  6. #4

    Default

    If there is a change in Government they will push for it again and again.

    Doesn't help us much over here in NI as they don't really give a damn what happened here,

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey O leary For This Useful Post:

    Escort AdvertiserIrish Sarah (07-11-14)

  8. #5

    Default

    We in Northern Ireland would have been better of still under direct rule as Stormont has turned out to be a farce.
    A big Joke.
    Last edited by Mickey O leary; 07-11-14 at 15:01.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mickey O leary For This Useful Post:

    Hedgehog (07-11-14), Mr Cuddles (07-11-14), TonyStark (07-11-14)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gitmo Nation East
    Posts
    1,745
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey O leary View Post
    We in Northern Ireland would have been better of still under direct rule as Stormont has turned out to be a farce.
    A big Joke.
    We're getting the government we deserve. Untill people stop voting to 'keep the other out' and start getting in young blood this shite'll never change.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to FatBastard For This Useful Post:

    Mr Cuddles (07-11-14)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dublin's Fair City Where The Girls are so Pretty!!
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Do people think that this will effect business for sex workers in NI?
    STRONG PEOPLE DON'T PUT OTHERS DOWN, THEY LIFT THEM UP♡♡
    Strong minded, Classy, Intelligent Playmate Back In Town

  13. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Leigha View Post
    Do people think that this will effect business for sex workers in NI?
    It will have a knock on effect, but then people will cross the border so no big deal,but probably means not visiting as often, Dublin has its nose in Northern Irelands Affairs anyway, that's why Stormont will push Dublin on the bill not that they need much pushing anyway as it without a doubt will be introduced.
    Last edited by Mickey O leary; 07-11-14 at 20:47.

  14. #9

    Default

    Why have the untied states not brought this in and Canada have

    What have northern Ireland, Canada Sweden have in common? That is not unique to the republic of Ireland and the likes of the USA
    The answer our constitution in Ireland as a republic all men are created equal, you cannot convict one persons and not the other of the same crime we are all equal
    But the uk Sweden and Canada have kings and queen, thus not all men are equal in there country as the king or queen is top dog,

    Ireland will need a constitutional change with massive knock on effects
    Freddo bars are now 50 cent! Has Fred grown up... gotten a mortgage and thinks he can take liberties??
    Frog faced cunt.
    DUNDALK 24th 25th and 26th flying visit
    discreet 4 star location
    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...annabel-taylor

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to annabel taylor For This Useful Post:

    funlover12 (08-11-14)

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Under the Bush
    Posts
    37
    Reviews
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Leigha View Post
    Do people think that this will effect business for sex workers in NI?
    Police in Northern Ireland don't even have a vice squad. They are under resourced as it is. Impossible task for them. How can they monitor the inside of flats and hotel rooms without them breaking the law?

    The only way to can do it, is undercover police officer as escort or do what the Swedish do - sit outside an escorts place of residence and harass clients as they leave for a fine.
    If you touch me, you might get a wee prick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •