Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independance - the Irish viewpoint??

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by willieh View Post
    Seriously hot topic! Irish politicians have decided to stay out of it. Why risk offending either Westminster or Edinburgh! There is no gain in it. An independent Scotland could destabilize the Northern situation hugely and also pose significant risks and competition to our inward investment strategy.

At the same time there is a visceral and inherent sympathy in Ireland generally for the whole cause of Scottish independence dating back to the Jacobite tradition here.

Politicians and general resident in Ireland alike are, if they think about it, somewhat conflicted.

Ironically (which is not spoken of at all in the UK) it appears that the vast majority of Catholics in Scotland are voting no as SNP (advocating a yes vote obviously!) is seen as a bastion of Presbyterianism hegemony. In the North however the Presbyterian / general protestant community are adamantly opposed to Scottish independence while many Catholics see either independence or greater autonomy for Scotland as a guide to where the North may go. Figure that one out!

Enda.
    But orange loons marching for a NO (does that sound oddly familiar?) will turn The Taigs into yes voters!
    By all acounts the sectarian nature of Scottish society has diminished decreasing fears of an Independent Scotland for most Catholics!
    Re Nordieland, as it stands 25% of the Catholic population support The Union and as the sectarian state diminishes this can only increase! By 2048 at the very latest, there will be a Catholic voting age majority in Norn Iron! You may have a CNR dominated Assembly, a Catholic First Minister, all major councils CNR controlled and yet have Catholics voting to save The Union!
    Mind you it might be the only sane alternative as God only knows what a living shite our political class and the retarded electorate enabling them will have made out of The Republic by then!
    Ride them on the beaches!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Libertarian For This Useful Post:

willieh (13-09-14)

Reviews

It is interesting that the arguments against independence for Scotland revolve around the banks, the same banks that have caused global turmoil for the past five years. The implications for Ireland are profound, apart from competition for inward investment, the destabilisation of the Northern Unionist bedrock may cause this country to re-examine our future, in purely geographic terms we might (Ireland) be able to move away from the shadow of our biggest neighbour, as in landmass. I remember the same economic arguments being presented to us prior to Nice and Lisbon and funnily enough the sky didn't fall down. I want to see an independent Scotland, but not to do down England but to allow Scotland to blossom as it deserves to do. I would like to see Wales follow suit and begin to stand up for itself and reverse the years of neglect from Westminster. Time will tell.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

willieh (13-09-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I think it is a bad thing for all concerned. It is one thing to sing Flower of Scotland, and all that, but the practical implications, especially the financial, would not be good for Scotland, or what remained of the United Kingdom.

There is also concern in Europe that if Scotland were to become independent it would encourage others (Catalonia, for example) to follow suit . Even, if as it is likely, there is a NO vote, it will encourage other to say that voting did no harm and for a lot of other regions to try to do the same.

A positive outcome(or is it) is that Scotland has been promised more devolution of powers. As a result, Northern Ireland and Wales will be in a position do claim they are entitled to the same.
    Yea, because we are doing such a great job with the powers we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Indeed. Complicated. And could open whole can of worms with implications that cannot be foreseen.
    I think that is why it will be a NO vote.
    A can of worms or a new vista of opportunity? Really depends how you look at it, whether you are a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" type of person. I take the optimistic view : that it would be good for Scotland. Certainly if I was Scottish I would worry about losing the benefits of the NHS but in every other respect it would be great for them. There is so much scaremongering going on -- the sky wont fall in if they vote yes. And for sure an independent Scotland would provide huge competition to Ireland in terms of FDI. Genuinely I think they would prosper in the long term perhaps after a bumpy couple of years initially. And I would really welcome the sea change in thinking it would bring to the political situation in the island of Ireland

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pussyman For This Useful Post:

willieh (13-09-14)

Reviews

I do not understand why it not yes by 90%

If the English had a vote it would be 99% YES.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...would-vote-Yes

Reviews

Independence sounds great! But not sure if it's right for Scotland? Not sure what can be gained long term.Take Ireland for instance how far have they got?most are leaving for pastures new and the influx of migrants? Irish being only the third spoken language behind English and polish? I wouldn't like to vote on it?good luck to Scotland which ever way they go. It's a beautiful country with a great heart so let's hope they vote with their heads only

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by willieh View Post
    Seriously hot topic! Irish politicians have decided to stay out of it. Why risk offending either Westminster or Edinburgh! There is no gain in it. An independent Scotland could destabilize the Northern situation hugely and also pose significant risks and competition to our inward investment strategy.

At the same time there is a visceral and inherent sympathy in Ireland generally for the whole cause of Scottish independence dating back to the Jacobite tradition here.

Politicians and general resident in Ireland alike are, if they think about it, somewhat conflicted.

Ironically (which is not spoken of at all in the UK) it appears that the vast majority of Catholics in Scotland are voting no as SNP (advocating a yes vote obviously!) is seen as a bastion of Presbyterianism hegemony. In the North however the Presbyterian / general protestant community are adamantly opposed to Scottish independence while many Catholics see either independence or greater autonomy for Scotland as a guide to where the North may go. Figure that one out!

Enda.
    Really? I have heard no commentary that the Scottish vote could divide along Protestant / Catholic lines. Just seems to be a non issue in the 21st century UK - excl NI obviously?

Reviews

Irish Politicians are all a bunch of wallies who lick arse, Enda kenny makes me sick.
    Ladies, you enjoy getting rimmed, no better qualified man than Enda, just ask Angela Merkel

The Scottish people are sheep like the Irish and will believe anything, scare tactics are being used to swing the vote in their favour.

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Really? I have heard no commentary that the Scottish vote could divide along Protestant / Catholic lines. Just seems to be a non issue in the 21st century UK - excl NI obviously?
    Certainly it used to be an issue just below the surface. I visited Scotland in the very late 80's and stayed with a Catholic family. The father of the house told me he would never vote for the SNP even though in all other ways he would lean towards independence. He told me a story about an SNP candidate calling to his door on pne occasion and telling him, after he found out he was Catholic and had an Irish surname, "When we get independence we'll send ye back to where ye came from."
    But times have changed, there's been peace in NI since, so perhaps the SNP have broadened their appeal in the meantime. From the support they are getting it would appear that they have anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast