Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where your from.

Reviews

It's an English thing, they always use it, as Jimmy Rabbitte said " The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. so say it once, say it loud; i'm black and i'm proud," (Commitments 1991)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to libra For This Useful Post:

Petros (04-07-14)

Scotland is British. At least for now, anyway.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    Scotland is British. At least for now, anyway.
    Yes but the point the OP was making was that when we watch TV which is coming from England with English commentators if Andy Murray is winning they refer to his as British but if he is not winning they refer to him as Scottish!

It seems to us that they are embracing him when he wins by using the all encompassing "British" nationality but distance themselves when he loses a match!
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Quote Originally Posted by Petros View Post
    Yes but the point the OP was making was that when we watch TV which is coming from England with English commentators if Andy Murray is winning they refer to his as British but if he is not winning they refer to him as Scottish!

It seems to us that they are embracing him when he wins by using the all encompassing "British" nationality but distance themselves when he loses a match!
    I've never noticed to be honest. I disagree with this being an English thing though, as I am English and have always referred to Murray as Scottish, winning or losing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

Petros (04-07-14), richieboy (04-07-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by richieboy View Post
    I have been watching wimbledon this week and i notice that when andy murray was winning he was british but when he lost he was scottish is this a british thing or does it happen anywhere else .
    There is a lot of that around here as well

some people can't decide where their from

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    I've never noticed to be honest. I disagree with this being an English thing though, as I am English and have always referred to Murray as Scottish, winning or losing.
    What I am saying is when tim henmam was playing it was always englands tim henman winning or losing I think your british if you win but if you lose your Scottish or welsh or northern Irelands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12