Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: TOP 5 Sportsmen Of All Time??

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alechoran View Post
    Ali was a great self publicist - I'll give him that ; but Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest boxer ever.

Your somewhat facetious reference to Cluedo got me thinking there might be a place for Chess genius Bobby Fischer on this thread.

Phil Taylor ? Well I think if Jack Nicklaus/ Tiger Woods/ Michael Schumacher are worthy of inclusion then, quite frankly, Taylors record by comparison is far far superior to theirs in his own particular sport.

Nobody mentioned Henry Sheflin yet ?
    and what about Roger Federer ?
    Nothing facetious about it, Sport should involve some physical effort or conditioning. Golf does, F1 does but chess nor darts don't

Default ......

mohammed ali,tiger woods,lance armstrong,babe ruth,michael jordan

Reviews

Phil Taylor ? Well I think if Jack Nicklaus/ Tiger Woods/ Michael Schumacher are worthy of inclusion then, quite frankly, Taylors record by comparison is far far superior to theirs in his own particular sport.

U cant really consider taylor because for six of his world titles , barney was playing on the other organisation .

it was only that sky sports made the pdc a better organisation that the bdo.

nbt

Quote Originally Posted by ninebythree View Post
    U cant really consider taylor because for six of his world titles , barney was playing on the other organisation .

it was only that sky sports made the pdc a better organisation that the bdo.

nbt
    ok lets continue that logic - did nicklaus win a grand slam whilst plying against tiger ?
    did schumacher drive against senna.
    did federer play sampras
    did ali fight sugar (sugar woulda won)

Power v Barney
    The two have played each other competitively 34 times, Taylor winning 24, van Barneveld winning 9 with 1 draw. In matches played with sets, Taylor leads 51 sets to 30 and in matchplay format Taylor is leading 138-99.

look at taylors averages / unlike a lot of sports these can answer any comparisons- nine darts finishes - challenge matches against bdo opposition - record against barney since he crossed over and the fact that at an age when he should be losing his powers he has, astonishingly, actually improved this year.

the elite of the bdo formed the pdc - nobody has left the pdc for the bdo.

Taylor-Barneveld rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hot Lizzy Guest

Smile TENNIS PLAYER - JOHN McENROE

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Good point Liz..Pele once said that Geogrie was the best ever...Please tennis players

Double checked and he is infact Irish John McEnroe........go on Poppy ask me another...............

Reviews

Talking

ok lets continue that logic - did nicklaus win a grand slam whilst plying against tiger ?
    did federer play sampras

Power v Barney
    The two have played each other competitively 34 times, Taylor winning 24, van Barneveld winning 9 with 1 draw. In matches played with sets, Taylor leads 51 sets to 30 and in matchplay format Taylor is leading 138-99.

look at taylors averages / unlike a lot of sports these can answer any comparisons- nine darts finishes - challenge matches against bdo opposition - record against barney since he crossed over and the fact that at an age when he should be losing his powers he has, astonishingly, actually improved this year.

i took barney as an example , how can u be top of ure sport if the organisation was split in two.
    my point was the best of each organisation didnt compete against each other.

no one have left the pdc because of the money sky are throwing at it , wheras bbc are giving the bdo fuck all. hence no one leaves.

and besides darts isnt a real sport

nbt

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by galwayboy23 View Post
    mohammed ali,tiger woods,lance armstrong,babe ruth,michael jordan
    Your not a Yank by any chance?

8. Default Well Senna was a better driver but

did federer play sampras

Power v Barney

Sugar beating Ali?No way.If he stayed away from Ali and got the points he would beat ali because i agree he was the best boxer of all time but Ali would have caught him and his weight advantage would have won it.I reckon ali by a knockdown mid way through the fight but if suagr stayed back and kept his distance who knows.Thaty wouldnt happen though because Ali wouldnt let him keep his distance.

Isnt this supposed to be about Opera????
    Westside.

9. Default The conditioning required for golf is minimal at best

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue41 View Post
    Nothing facetious about it, Sport should involve some physical effort or conditioning. Golf does, F1 does but chess nor darts don't
    whether its aerobic threshold,anerobic threashold,GPP,SPP or intervals it wont matter.Ok im being a bit of a smart ass here because i know you wont be aware of these.

Seriously though the conditioning required to walk all day around a course will be acheived well before the golfer becomes highly skilled.Golf is a technical sport.The requirements to be a successful golfer are,

A mastery of the technical aspects.
    A knowledge of his /her weakness.
    A biomechanical knowledge of the aqquired musclature and a knowledge of the repetitive strain injuries involved in the sport,golfers elbow,impingement of the supraspinatus tendon of the shoulder joint of the leading arm and repetitive strains of the driving hip and wrists.The abilty to see these approching and dealing with them is essential to maintaining a high level of performance.Golf by its nature will create biomechanical imbalances that can alter the performers posture leading to injuries unless the performer regularly swings from both sides.

Unless a golfer is doing some sort of supplementary exercise to supplement his golf (not required really) then the conditioning gains from the sport itself are minimal.What im saying is anyone who plays golf and expects it to improve his/her conditioning to a high degree is kidding themselves.

Westside.

Default im no yank

im not a yank skyblue but i see ur point

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast