Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: TOP 5 Sportsmen Of All Time??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DUBLIN
    Posts
    183

    Default TOP 5 Sportsmen Of All Time??

    .5.Pele .4.Armstrong .3.Ali .2.Bolt .1.Woods just off the top of my head...try and keep it based on sporting achievements rather than who you like

  2. Default Well

    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    .5.Pele .4.Armstrong .3.Ali .2.Bolt .1.Woods just off the top of my head...try and keep it based on sporting achievements rather than who you like
    (a) Ali (first man to hold the world championship on 3 seperate occaissions)
    (b) Spitz (swimming 1974 Olympics 7 golds)
    (c) Banister (first man to break the 4 min mile)
    (d) Coan (powerlifting over 70 world records)
    (5) Chuck Norris (tenth dan black)

    Westside.

  3. #3
    Hot Lizzy Guest

    Default What about Tiger Woods..........cant have 5 have to be 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter The Perfect Plumber View Post
    (a) Ali (first man to hold the world championship on 3 seperate occaissions)
    (b) Spitz (swimming 1974 Olympics 7 golds)
    (c) Banister (first man to break the 4 min mile)
    (d) Coan (powerlifting over 70 world records)
    (5) Chuck Norris (tenth dan black)

    Westside.

    You missed out Snooker Players - Tennis Players - Golfers - Ice Skaters........why not if its the top 5 make it American or British or Irish........and Chuck Norris.......come on -


  4. Default Difference of opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lizzy View Post
    You missed out Snooker Players - Tennis Players - Golfers - Ice Skaters........why not if its the top 5 make it American or British or Irish........and Chuck Norris.......come on -

    while i admire anyone or group who acheive a high level at any sport i have a preference for individual sports where there is no reliance on a team and also sports where the pain barrier is very high.Obviously there are others but he said top five.

    Ali,boxing.I need say nothing here ,easily the greatest sportsman and person for that matter ever.

    Sptiz,swimming,try and swim length after length after length after length ,nothging but looking down at the bottm of a pool.That takes enourmous dedication and to win 7 golds back in '74.Speaks volumes if you ask me.

    Banister,running.Again alot of commitment needed and i have him down for mental more than running ability and i dont like running unless i have the shits then its handy.He broke a record everyone said was impossible.

    Coan.This is my sport ,powerlifting.Untouchable.The guy lifted morfe weight than guys three classes above him.70 world records or more???????As far as im aware noone has dont that yet.

    Norris.He is,as far as im aware the only western man to be a grand master and acheive a tenth black.

    I dont know about you but i reckon these sports are a little harder on the body (with the exception of tennis maybe) than holding a cue or swinging a golf club and like i said they are individual sports too.No team.You either do it or not.Again just my preference.

    Westside.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,313
    Reviews
    7

    Default My top 5

    My top 5 sports men/women

    1. Tiger Woods, now 32 years of age, has had an unprecedented career since becoming a professional golfer in the late summer of 1996. He has won 87 tournaments, 65 of those on the PGA.
    2. Sevvy Ballesteros won five major tournaments between the years of 1979 and 1988, including The Masters twice. He was also successful in the Ryder Cup, helping the European team to five wins both as a player and captain.
    3. Pele. He is the all-time top scorer in the history of the Brazil national football team and is the only footballer to be a part of three World Cup-winning teams. In 1962 he was part of the Brazilian squad but due to an injury suffered in the 2nd match did not play the whole tournament. In November 2007 Fifa announced that he would be awarded the 1962 medal retroactively, making him the only player in the world to have three World Cup winning medals
    4. michael schumacher.After winning two championships with Benneton, Michael Schumacher moved to Ferrari in 1996 and won five consecutive drivers' titles with them from 20002004. Schumacher holds many records in Formula One, including most drivers' championships, race victories, fastest laps, pole positions, points scored and most races won in a single season. Schumacher is the only Formula One driver to have an entire season of podium finishes, a feat he accomplished in 2002.
    5. Martina Navratilova. She won 18 Grand slam singles titles, 31 Grand Slam women's doubles titles (an all-time record), and 10 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles. She reached the Wimbleton singles final 12 times, including 9 consecutive years from 1982 through 1990, and won the women's singles title at Wimbledon a record 9 times.
    Qph would be proud..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DUBLIN
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Skill over Braun...Tiger Woods is easily the best sportsman ever in my opinion anyway..His mental strength physical attributes and his attitude never to lose is unrivaled + he can do amazing things with a ball and a club although I know it can be hard for people to understand who do not like or watch golf..As well as his 14 majors he will be the first sportsman ever to be a billionaire...He has changed the golf world as well and has brought in millions of kids that otherwise would not play the game...In the US open this year he played on 1 leg and won.....There is no such thing as disabled people only people who have met Chuck Norris...Chuck Norris does not grow hair on his balls Hair does not grow on steel...
    Last edited by poppy; 18-11-08 at 18:10.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,313
    Reviews
    7

    Default Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Skill over Braun...Tiger Woods is easily the best sportsman ever in my opinion anyway..His mental strength physical attributes and his attitude never to lose is unrivaled + he can do amazing things with a ball and a club although I know it can be hard for people to understand who do not like or watch golf..As well as his 14 majors he will be the first sportsman ever to be a billionaire...He has changed the golf world as well and has brought in millions of kids that otherwise would not play the game...In the US open this year he played on 1 leg and won.....There is no such thing as disabled people only people who have met Chuck Norris...Chuck Norris does not grow hair on his balls Hair does not grow on steel...
    Its a bit like Padraig Harrington not being classed as an athlete.. when we did nothing in the world cup in 1990, the Irish squad returned to a heros welcome, when Harrington won his third Major, he returned to nothing.. something very wrong here.
    He spends more time training and practising than any olympic athlete.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DUBLIN
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Westside would Michael Phelps not be a better example of a swimmer...And what Usain Bolt did during the summer was fairly spectacular

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DUBLIN
    Posts
    183

    Default

    I actually know Padraig without going into much detail...Padraig studied accoutancy before going pro at the age of 26 (which is old enough for pro golfers) he was never regarded as a world class golfer but with the incredible amount of hardwork and dedication he became what he is today..He is always last on the pratice ground..Let me tell you a good story about him..When he was a amateur with Stackstown they were playing another club(cant remember the club) in a senior match..Padraig was on the 16 tee and he was 2 down..i.e. 2 down with 3 to play..The manager of the other team was heard saying by Padraig All the talk about Padraig Harrington this guy is useless(something along those lines) anyway Padraig took it very personal and so he finished birdie birdie birdie and won....He is Irelands best sportsman

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,313
    Reviews
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I actually know Padraig without going into much detail...Padraig studied accoutancy before going pro at the age of 26 (which is old enough for pro golfers) he was never regarded as a world class golfer but with the incredible amount of hardwork and dedication he became what he is today..He is always last on the pratice ground..Let me tell you a good story about him..When he was a amateur with Stackstown they were playing another club(cant remember the club) in a senior match..Padraig was on the 16 tee and he was 2 down..i.e. 2 down with 3 to play..The manager of the other team was heard saying by Padraig All the talk about Padraig Harrington this guy is useless(something along those lines) anyway Padraig took it very personal and so he finished birdie birdie birdie and won....He is Irelands best sportsman

    Again, without going into any detail, i have played in his charity outing and met him a few times..
    He is a real embassador for Irish sport.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •