Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Free Education

Quote Originally Posted by johnb59 View Post
    When I left school in the 70s I was told it's not what you know it's who you know and that pretty much is the same today?
    especially now, with the lack of jobs. If you know someone with pull, you have a better chance
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

Reviews

I keep doing degrees and course once every few years, but there is a course on film script writing in Dun Laoghaire that I have long had my eye on

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Ivory For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (19-06-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    I would do a course on intrinsic motivation and interpersonal skills so that I can build upon my exemplary people skills
    That's the best euphemism for trolling I've ever heard

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by johnb59 View Post
    When I left school in the 70s I was told it's not what you know it's who you know and that pretty much is the same today?
    Not quite, these days; It's not what you know, it's not who you know, it's what you know about whom you know.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    If you could go back into education completely free and financial worry free, would you do it and if so, what would you choose to do?

I would love to do a degree in Art & Design and I would love to do a photography course, including new camera.

How about you?

A music degree.

My degree is in Computer Science, it's satisfying and often rewarding on various levels but ultimately, and more so as time spreads itself forward, I realise more and more how I don't feel it. Somewhere in the 'then to now', between the moment music first kissed me and my present future, a different reality stepped in and those jobs I took purely to support my musical aspirations became 'taking care of responsibilities', 'being realistic', 'planning for the future' and a thousand other excuses. All admirable excuses no doubt ... all fitting in the right circumstances.

I can't imagine I'd learn anything I don't already know while studying for a music degree but for me it's an unfinished chapter. Perhaps it's to better myself ... perhaps it's to prove something ... perhaps it's just to justify my love. Who cares.

Great thread by the way Kate, always nice to feel the beating heart of E-I when it's in time
    Last edited by Jiberjabber; 19-06-14 at 22:40. Reason: I thought I left my keys in here ... they were in the door.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jiberjabber For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (20-06-14)

Reviews

BTW Kate, the Open College of the Arts introductory photography course was written by Michael Freeman. It's largely based on his book The Photographer's Eye. I have a spare copy of this; if you are interested, give me a shout when you're next up north.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678