Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honour Crimes Continue

Quote Originally Posted by Davidontour View Post
    Excellent post and thread.

Religion in my opinion has little or nothing to do with belief in god -- it is used as a weapon and a control system for purposes of power and money. The attempts to control all aspects of sexuality is nonsensical on the surface but underneath it serves the purpose of instilling guilt and controlling others.

There can be fewer more heinous crimes than the abuse of children, yet the church in Ireland have done so on a huge scale and appear to not only be largely getting away with it, but are being funded towards further potential abuse via NGOs. Deference to organised religion in this country needs to end.
    "Religion if the opium of the masses" karl marx

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping the common people quite. Religion is what stops the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.' Robert Pirsig

So many people die in the name of religion. Its all a lie.
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (11-06-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    "Religion if the opium of the masses" karl marx

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping the common people quite. Religion is what stops the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.' Robert Pirsig

So many people die in the name of religion. Its all a lie.
    Unfortunately if religion ceased to exist, another control system would spring up to take it's place. There is a basic human need, manifested in every society, to control the thoughts and actions of others and if anything this is even more pronounced in societies which have largely rejected religion.

I'm thinking here particularly of past and present communist regimes, but it's worth remembering that Sweden, one of the most secular countries on the planet, also has one of the most draconian regimes against sex workers. This is driven by both feminist ideas and a desire to shape society in the 'correct' way. The views and basic rights of sex workers are blatantly ignored in an attempt to 'improve' society -- the false statistics and blatant lies are merely the means to what is effectively a dictatorial end.

In Ireland we have a proud tradition of allowing a predatory and vicious church to act and dictate as it pleases. In 2014, we have a situation where said church is being more or less excused for presiding over child deaths on a staggering scale, while simultaneously denying women abortion on a platform of the absolute right of the unborn. Hypocrisy doesn't get much more blatant. And just to add to this nightmare, the church has joined forces with radical feminism to leverage govt legislation and funding on the small but emotive subject of sex work. It's cynical and disgusting, but can only succeed if the political will to resist blatant lies and bullying is weak. I think I'll stop there....
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (11-06-14), Empirical (12-06-14), Jiberjabber (11-06-14), Meursault (11-06-14)

Unfortunately if religion ceased to exist, another control system would spring up to take it's place. There is a basic human need, manifested in every society, to control the thoughts and actions of others and if anything this is even more pronounced in societies which have largely rejected religion.
    That is actually true. If it were not religion, it would be something else. radical atheism or something.
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (11-06-14), Davidontour (11-06-14), Empirical (12-06-14), Jiberjabber (11-06-14)

Reviews

Richard Dawkins claims that teaching religion to children is a form of child abuse.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dark-knight For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (11-06-14), Jiberjabber (11-06-14)

9. Default

Religious people to me have always been a bunch of phonies and no good comes from them, but the thing that is hard to understand is the fact that families did this to their own. Imagine, throwing your daughter out of her house and never asking after or looking for her again. Ever !
    What is benign? - benign is what you will be after you be eight

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habebe2 For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (11-06-14), Jiberjabber (11-06-14)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dark-knight View Post
    Richard Dawkins claims that teaching religion to children is a form of child abuse.
    As long as it is varied religions and unbiased, I see no problem with it, as it creates understanding of other people. However, I don't think it should be biased or insist that one is better or fact when it isn't.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (12-06-14), Jiberjabber (11-06-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    As long as it is varied religions and unbiased, I see no problem with it, as it creates understanding of other people. However, I don't think it should be biased or insist that one is better or fact when it isn't.
    I believe Professor Dawkins was thinking along those lines too. Start them off with the Karen Armstrong book 'A History Of God'. If you educated a person right when they are young it's a lot harder for the faith sickness to take hold.
    Last edited by Jiberjabber; 11-06-14 at 23:18. Reason: Immunisation if you will ...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiberjabber For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (11-06-14), Davidontour (12-06-14)

Reviews

Very well said Kate.
    Too many do gooders in this country,, trying to
    tell the rest of us how to live.
    Its one scandal after another.... And still the area where all them poor babys were found has'nt even been cordend off..

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red and Horny For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (12-06-14), Davidontour (12-06-14)

Excellent post and thread.

Religion in my opinion has little or nothing to do with belief in god -- it is used as a weapon and a control system for purposes of power and money. The attempts to control all aspects of sexuality is nonsensical on the surface but underneath it serves the purpose of instilling guilt and controlling others.

There can be fewer more heinous crimes than the abuse of children, yet the church in Ireland have done so on a huge scale and appear to not only be largely getting away with it, but are being funded towards further potential abuse via NGOs. Deference to organised religion in this country needs to end.
    what upsets me the most in all that is the hypocrisy and double standard of the church in general.
    In one hand they tell us all life is sacred and that is why abortion is illegal,
    and on the other they condemn these babies to either death or a life of abject misery.
    All in the name of the good lord of course!
    Last edited by 10inchesandcounting; 12-06-14 at 06:37. Reason: typo

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 10inchesandcounting For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (12-06-14)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10inchesandcounting View Post
    what upsets me the most in all that is the hypocrisy and double standard of the church in general.
    In one hand they tell us all life is sacred and that is why abortion is illegal,
    and on the other they condemn these babies to either death or a life of abject misery.
    All in the name of the good lord of course!
    I think I had recognised the manipulative nature of religion from an early age and have always had doubts. They are like politicians manipulating statistics to suit their cause, but worse, as often lives are ruined or lost due to their expectations.

One of the problems with the bible is that there are so many parables/messages, that you can always find one to quote and make your point, even though there may be several others that say the opposite and they are also open to interpretation and when you really think about it. How can you have 2 versions of the bible? Automatically when the second one was created, you have another version of events, which is even further from the truth, as it is an interpretation written by people that were not alive when the first one was created.

Was it not a case of one rule book being updated by another one?
    Last edited by CurvaceousKate; 12-06-14 at 07:58.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Empirical (12-06-14)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12