Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anger over mass grave in Co Galway.

Exclamation Anger over mass grave in Co Galway.

Anger over mass grave claim at old Irish home

(CNN) -- Outrage over the reported discovery of the bodies of almost 800 children at a former home for unmarried mothers run by nuns in Ireland prompted calls Wednesday for a full investigation.

The children whose remains have apparently been found in Tuam, in County Galway, are believed to have died between 1925 and 1961, according to local media reports.

The grim discovery was highlighted in a front-page report in the Irish Mail on Sunday, which cited the efforts of local historian Catherine Corless to research the burial sites of 796 children listed as having died at the home, which was run by the Sisters of Bon Secours.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/world/...uam/index.html
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Clyde (05-06-14), Deven (04-06-14), Sexy Sandy 69 (05-06-14), Vitruvian (05-06-14)

The revelation has sparked calls for an investigation and renewed questions about the treatment of unmarried mothers and their children by the Catholic Church and institutions associated with it.

"Many of the revelations are deeply disturbing and a shocking reminder of a darker past in Ireland when our children were not cherished as they should have been," he said.

"The news that the remains of some 800 babies were found on convent grounds in Tuam has shocked citizens," said party leader Gerry Adams in an online statement.
    "This case warrants an immediate full public inquiry into the neglect and maltreatment which caused the deaths of these children.
    "Unfortunately, this case is really just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the treatment of women and children in mother and baby homes."

I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    The revelation has sparked calls for an investigation and renewed questions about the treatment of unmarried mothers and their children by the Catholic Church and institutions associated with it.

"Many of the revelations are deeply disturbing and a shocking reminder of a darker past in Ireland when our children were not cherished as they should have been," he said.

"The news that the remains of some 800 babies were found on convent grounds in Tuam has shocked citizens," said party leader Gerry Adams in an online statement.
    "This case warrants an immediate full public inquiry into the neglect and maltreatment which caused the deaths of these children.
    "Unfortunately, this case is really just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the treatment of women and children in mother and baby homes."

Of course Gerry Adams would be an expert on burying people in unmarked graves...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EIFII For This Useful Post:

Clyde (05-06-14), hitman76 (04-06-14), warmcome (05-06-14)

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Of course Gerry Adams would be an expert on burying people in unmarked graves...
    Great comparison, there. Real perspective.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to QuietFella For This Useful Post:

Vitruvian (05-06-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Anger over mass grave claim at old Irish home

(CNN) -- Outrage over the reported discovery of the bodies of almost 800 children at a former home for unmarried mothers run by nuns in Ireland prompted calls Wednesday for a full investigation.

The children whose remains have apparently been found in Tuam, in County Galway, are believed to have died between 1925 and 1961, according to local media reports.

The grim discovery was highlighted in a front-page report in the Irish Mail on Sunday, which cited the efforts of local historian Catherine Corless to research the burial sites of 796 children listed as having died at the home, which was run by the Sisters of Bon Secours.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/world/...uam/index.html
    I have heard about this but I am suprised at the lack of an Irish outcry, most of the articals I have seen are not from irish media, scandal after scandal and we still are not properly taking religious organizations to task.
    The beauty of the internet is that there is always a 'close' button.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deven For This Useful Post:

Clyde (05-06-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Deven View Post
    I have heard about this but I am suprised at the lack of an Irish outcry, most of the articals I have seen are not from irish media, scandal after scandal and we still are not properly taking religious organizations to task.
    If I am not mistaken, the reason Steph highlighted the name of the organisation - Sisters of Bon Secours - was because they are involved in Torl and Ruhama?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by QuietFella View Post
    Great comparison, there. Real perspective.
    Indeed. A Co Louth beach or a field in Galway. What's the difference?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deven View Post
    heh. Was just about to say that. Guess that Jezabel's good for something after all.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast