Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Table Manners and Etiquette

Blog Entries

Question Table Manners and Etiquette

This evening I decided I would go down to the hotel bar for some dinner. It was quite enjoyable and I was very hungry, as I had not eaten much during the day and had a very busy afternoon/evening, so began to eat with gusto and realised that I was going too fast, so put my knife and fork down and began to read a book in order to pace myself.

While I was reading I had my knife and fork at angles on the plate. To me this indicates that I have not yet finished eating and I did think this was a universal code. However, while I was pausing between mouthfuls I was asked if I had finished, so the waitress could clear my table. It was not particularly busy, so they did not need my table, although it was coming towards the end of their serving time.

Of course I said I had not finished and continued to peck at what was left of my food, while enjoying my glass of wine and absorbing the contents of my book, but I began to wonder if the mistake was due to the Waitresses lack of knowledge or the consumers lack of etiquette at the bar?

Do people still exercise the time old practice of putting the knife and fork together at 6 O'clock or is this a thing of the past and I'm the odd one out?

What do you do with your knife and fork when you have finished your meal, while dining out?
    Last edited by CurvaceousKate; 07-04-14 at 21:15.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

BumLover1 (07-04-14), Curious k (07-04-14), EIFII (07-04-14), emmasweet (08-04-14), ryder (08-04-14)

With you darling

I also use 'at angles' to show that I am still enjoying my meal and/or taking a breather

Waitress may have been at the end of her shift - and was looking to get the bill paid etc - Not the best customer service ?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richant12 For This Useful Post:

Curious k (07-04-14), Curvaceous Kate (07-04-14), funlover12 (08-04-14)

Well I personally wouldn't blame the waitress. This actually isn't very common in Ireland. I've spent significant amounts of time in both the UK and the USA, and I find it's also not common in America. However it's very common in England. Some of my English friends insist on this.

I always cross my knife and fork and point them 6 o'clock as a habit. I picked the habit up in England.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curious k For This Useful Post:

BumLover1 (07-04-14), Curvaceous Kate (07-04-14)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Jezzzee reading and eating and at the same time tut tut Kate .: doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr love For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (07-04-14), emmasweet (08-04-14), funlover12 (08-04-14)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

my girlfriend made me leave my knife and fork like this on the plate when i was finished , and now its a habbit

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamser For This Useful Post:

Curious k (07-04-14), zoozoozoo (08-04-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Yamser View Post
    my girlfriend made me leave my knife and fork like this on the plate when i was finished , and now its a habbit

That's doesn't signal you're finished. It says you've not finished. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by BumLover1 View Post
    I picked crabs up in england, well liverpool if thats any consultation.
    I'm not surprised by that. Especially since you love bums and stuff. Lol

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Do people still exercise the time old practice of putting the knife and fork together at 6 O'clock or is this a thing of the past and I'm the odd one out?
    I thought it was quite normal to do this!
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Petros For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (07-04-14)

Blog Entries

With me the fork stays on the plate after a meal along with the knife and napkin. Left side for the fork right side for the knife. Both wiped of prints and the napkin used to wipe my mouth after and any prints have been removed of the cutlery and glass. I always do this but my doc says it could be down to my OCD.

I'm with you on the order of the knife and fork, as that is what I do too. I admit to also collecting all the sachets and bits and pieces and putting them in the little side plate the chips were presented in and the napkin was put to the left side after I wiped my mouth with it, but I did not clean the cutlery or the glass after finishing with them.

So far I'm getting the point that I am quintessentially English and it's not universal, which is interesting, but also important, as I will write a review of my stay and I don't want to be overly obtuse or critical, if it is just me and my culture that does this.

Blog Entries

I picked crabs up in england, well liverpool if thats any consultation.

Sounds like you got off lightly! (joke!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast