Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Table Manners and Etiquette

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Curious k View Post
    I'm actually unsure myself at this stage. Many on here seem to be of different opinion. I was pretty certain the knife and fork must be crossed to indicate that you've finished.
    I have only seen the crossed knife and fork once, when I was eating at a friends house. I took it that it was a religious custom (they were catholic)- giving thanks to god for the food by making a cross.
    Anyone else I've seen places them togeather but not at any particular angle ..... except for those people who just dump them in a heap.
    Mr Cuddles. everyone needs a cuddle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Cuddles For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (08-04-14)

Reviews

A lot of people think good etiquette is snobbery. For better or for worse this was drilled into me years ago . I don't think men pay as much attention to etiquette as women. I would assume that waitresses see so much ignorance of etiquette in Ireland that they loose their own standards.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clueless For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    This evening I decided I would go down to the hotel bar for some dinner. It was quite enjoyable and I was very hungry, as I had not eaten much during the day and had a very busy afternoon/evening, so began to eat with gusto and realised that I was going too fast, so put my knife and fork down and began to read a book in order to pace myself.

While I was reading I had my knife and fork at angles on the plate. To me this indicates that I have not yet finished eating and I did think this was a universal code. However, while I was pausing between mouthfuls I was asked if I had finished, so the waitress could clear my table. It was not particularly busy, so they did not need my table, although it was coming towards the end of their serving time.

Of course I said I had not finished and continued to peck at what was left of my food, while enjoying my glass of wine and absorbing the contents of my book, but I began to wonder if the mistake was due to the Waitresses lack of knowledge or the consumers lack of etiquette at the bar?

Do people still exercise the time old practice of putting the knife and fork together at 6 O'clock or is this a thing of the past and I'm the odd one out?

What do you do with your knife and fork when you have finished your meal, while dining out?

You are quite right , the waiteress should have known better,however as mentioned above, not all customers follow the proper etiquette due to ignorance or lack of care, and the staff have to improvise in order to get the job done.
    Also you were reading at the table (during the meal , not after) which in itself is also a breach of etiquette,this can be seen as insulting to some and could have confused the staff into thinking you were finished.

One more thing, in some countries, leaving your knife anf fork at an angle (with food in the plate)means you are not happy with your dish, or there is something wrong with it, and it is normal for the staff to come to you and ask you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Looks like we're both wrong, looks more of 4 o'clock by this example - http://foodforthethoughtless.com/200...h-your-dinner/

But still, the knife and fork are together and not apart in the way I had mine on the plate when I was approached, so no mistaking my intent.
    I meant 4pm...

I think they still should ask you if you are done....
    BASTARDS..... No one, NO ONE are in right to take my plate when food is still on itl...... I will fight till last drop of blood. haha
    Somewhere over the rainbow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Olivia For This Useful Post:

I allway play the drums when I'm finished with my chopsticks...
    Who loves ya baby......!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clyde For This Useful Post:

Reviews

knife and fork 3 and 9 when pausing while eating, both on plate towards centre when finished

reading book at dinner though, no wonder she got confused (unless it was salad!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to funlover12 For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by funlover12 View Post
    knife and fork 3 and 9 when pausing while eating, both on plate towards centre when finished

reading book at dinner though, no wonder she got confused (unless it was salad!)
    I never read the book called salad,is it any good?

Reviews

Its all got to do with the lack of training nowadays . Hotels advertise for part time staff , a student applies for the job and hey presto she/he is a waitress/waiter without any training . The eating irons are always placed at six o clock to signify the diner is finished eating.
    Another big one is always serve from the left and clear from the right . How many staff adhere to that one in these days of lowered standards and overcrowded restaurants in search of profit .
    Last edited by ryder; 08-04-14 at 14:11. Reason: gone out for a burger
    Cindy Forever the girl of my dreams .087 261 4637.

You can skip this Ad in 5 seconds !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ryder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by funlover12 View Post

My knife and fork were at 3 and 9. I took the book as I was on my own and sometimes I feel a bit embarrassed as I don't know where to put my eyes, without looking like I'm prying into other people's conversation.

I discovered that vitamin B is good for de-stressing while I was reading, so it was worth while.

Reviews

I was always thought to put knife and fork side by side in the centre of the plate when finished dining and handles pointing
    4 and 8 when taking a breather and not finished.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast