Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stove under tv any experience

Reviews

I have a free standing stove the sits out from the fireplace and with the upward heat it generates there is no way I would put anything above it.
    I've a tall marble fireplace with the mantelpiece about 2 foot above the stove and you wouldn't put your hand on it when the stove is in full swing.
    Incidentally, my sister has the insert stove in a similar sized room and she says and I agree there is no comparison between how hot mine gets the room and hers.
    Stands to reason, all sides of the stove are exposed to the air as opposed to just the front on the inserts, the rest being in the wall..
    Last edited by anon361; 04-01-14 at 20:29.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Thanks guys for all this useful info. At least everybody here
    Seems to be in agreement. Move the tv..
    Fighting for your tomorrow

4. The Following User Says Thank You to john connor For This Useful Post:

warmcome (04-01-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by feargal View Post
    Yes the free standing stoves are much more efficient
    Really depends on the size of room you are heating. For your average sitting room the recessed model is more economical and is more than sufficient heatwise

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    I have a free standing stove the sits out from the fireplace and with the upward heat it generates there is no way I would put anything above it.
    I've a tall marble fireplace with the mantelpiece about 2 foot above the stove and you wouldn't put your hand on it when the stove is in full swing.
    Incidentally, my sister has the insert stove in a similar sized room and she says and I agree there is no comparison between how hot mine gets the room and hers.
    Stands to reason, all sides of the stove are exposed to the air as opposed to just the front on the inserts, the rest being in the wall..
    great for heating the walls though. did a kerry man invent this?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by john connor View Post
    Am just in process of getting a 2 stoves put in to ease the old gas bills.
    One of them will be going under a tv. There is a stone mantle between them and tv will be about 3 feet above stove.
    Is this a good idea or should I move tv. Can't seem to get a divinitive answer. Some say yes some say know.
    Anyone ever done this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I have the option of recessed stove or one that projects out a bit.
    Thanks
    If you recess the stove you need clearance around the stove to get the full benefit, say 300mm each side and 1m above. So probably no room for a tv above.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManHold View Post
    If you recess the stove you need clearance around the stove to get the full benefit, say 300mm each side and 1m above. So probably no room for a tv above.
    mine is half recessed if that makes sense

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Really depends on the size of room you are heating. For your average sitting room the recessed model is more economical and is more than sufficient heatwise
    The room mine is in is 18*18 with 10ft ceiling so recessed wasn't an option even if I did want one.

Reviews

Not true of all inserts, mine has air fed under, around the back and over the top of the firebox. ie. all sides of the firebox is exposed to air. I would not put a tele over it, I had to put aluminium on underside of the timber mantlepiece to reflect the heat.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

The room mine is in is 18*18 with 10ft ceiling so recessed wasn't an option even if I did want one.
    I actually installed a stove awhile back that is away from the wall, I think it looks much nice and because it's away from the wall you get more heat output going into the room, Blacksmith make some really beautiful wood burning cast irons stoves. I always thought though recessed stoves/fireplaces are just incase you have a back boiler installed otherwise why lose all that heat?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

If you also wanted to save a little extra money on firelighters for the stove, go to your local laundrette and ask for lint from the driers, honestly the lint is extremely flammable.

If you didn't want to do that, get some cheap cotton buds and a big oul tub of vaseline and make balls, they are pretty good as fire starters

Lastly

Buy a tin can crusher, crush ripped up newspaper nice and compact and voila you got yourself a firelighter.

you could also find broken off branches ad make your own kindling.

When you buy a stove there's nothing more satisfying that getting a good hearty fire going.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast