Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Schumacher Injured

medical update @ 10 am

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CL00N For This Useful Post:

Clyde (30-12-13), Jericho (30-12-13), SteveB (30-12-13)

Reviews

I think all great Sportsmen/Women have that develish streak. They are so focused on winning at all costs.
    Hopefully Schumacher will come though this in one piece.
    J

Reviews

i'm sorry to hear this, i hope he can recover.

Reviews

They're saying that his condition remains critical.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I hadn't thought it was so serious! It sounds very bad now!

Schumacher has been full of contradictions - he promoted save driving on the roads and then in recent years commandeered a taxi to get to the airport so as not to miss a flight! Gentleman or not he certainly left an impresion on F1 and I hope he makes a full recovery.
    Seek and you shall find!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UB40 For This Useful Post:

Nikkita (02-01-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Since the news broke yesterday about the accident I've been gutted I'm a huge fan of Schumacher I watched all his races ever since he joined Jordan. It's true he was flawed but so were most of the greats like Senna, Lauda, Prost and even Vittel it's the winning blood. You could see it when he won a rase the leap on the podium he would work through the night with his team to find that extra tenth of a second, he always made sure he celebrated with his crew afterwards and paid for everything but he was a bit of a bore and always left early to be sure he could train properly in the morning. I truly hope one of my all time heroes pulls through.

If you look at Lance Armstrong's Oprah interview, the thing that stuck in my mind was that he never considered it cheating to dope. He felt it was part of what he needed to do to gain a competitive edge.

Similar, but not quite the same thing with Schumacher, who would use any trick up his sleeve to win, but then on the track you have to know who you are dealing with. I wonder how many others in his position would have done something different. If I were racing him, rule number 1 would be to stay the hell out of his way!

I looked back on his time not as "boring because he always won each race" but a time we are not likely to see again, a true master. He raised the bar, and if you look at Vettel now, while he is very strong, I think he really hasn't been tested yet. I'm sure many will disagree - what with him having 4 chamionships, but there isn't much serious competition at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo76 View Post
    If you look at Lance Armstrong's Oprah interview, the thing that stuck in my mind was that he never considered it cheating to dope. He felt it was part of what he needed to do to gain a competitive edge.

Similar, but not quite the same thing with Schumacher, who would use any trick up his sleeve to win, but then on the track you have to know who you are dealing with. I wonder how many others in his position would have done something different. If I were racing him, rule number 1 would be to stay the hell out of his way!

I looked back on his time not as "boring because he always won each race" but a time we are not likely to see again, a true master. He raised the bar, and if you look at Vettel now, while he is very strong, I think he really hasn't been tested yet. I'm sure many will disagree - what with him having 4 chamionships, but there isn't much serious competition at the moment...

It could be argued that every time Schumacher was TRULY tested (Villneuve, Hakkinnen, Alonso) he was found wanting. My Nan could probably have won the world championship in the Ferrari.

I hope he pulls through. It seems that even if he does there will be a long recovery. My prayers are with him

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

gonzo76 (31-12-13)

It's a real shame and I hope he recovers

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo76 View Post

so in your examples running other drivers off the road is passing a test is it

no arguing with that logic

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    It could be argued that every time Schumacher was TRULY tested (Villneuve, Hakkinnen, Alonso) he was found wanting.
    Schumacher did well to even challenge for the title in '97 and '98 as first Williams and then McLaren were way ahead of the pack then (mainly due to Adrian Newey designing the cars - the same guy who is now working with Red Bull).

Ironically the first year Ferrari were in a position to win the championship ('99), Schumacher was not in contention due to his crash at Silverstone. Since I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist I still believe that Ferrari didn't want Irvine to win the title as they would then have to explain why someone on a fraction of the retainer that MSC was on achieved something that Schumacher couldn't in the previous 4 years. Anyone remember the race at the Nurburgring when Irvine went in for a pitstop only for his pit crew to have only 3 wheels ready for him?.

It's worth noting that when he went to Ferrari Schumacher brought a whole team of personnel with him - notably Ross Brawn who are just as responsible for Ferrari's dominance in the early 00s. But still, all the tactics and engineering are meaningless without a ruthless driver to exploit them - and like him or loath him, Schumacher was certainly that.

Anyway, it's all in perspective now. I hope he pulls through.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ocred For This Useful Post:

Clyde (30-12-13)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast