Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can this happen ??????

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Dreadful ok - I had something similar happen to one of my staff years ago, but followed eating some fish ( inadvertently) in our work restaurant ! I had to rush her to the nearby hospital in my car ..no time to waste !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godwasgenerous For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (21-12-13)

Reviews

Yeah, a real tragedy. I can understand the mother's anger but can also see things from the pharmacists stand point.

Adrenaline (which is what is in an epipen) is an extremely potent and dangerous medication. It's life-saving in an anaphylatic shock (life threathening allergic reaction), but equally can be used to kill someone with underlying heart disease or severe high blood pressure.

Pharmacists have very strict rules governing them and can have their licence revoked if found to flount these regulations.

From the article and from what I've heard on the news, it sounds like the mother rushed into the pharmacy without her daughter and asked for the epipen. The pharmacist might have taken a different stance if the girl had been right in front of him/he and gasping for breath. And even if they hadn't given her the epipen they may have called an ambulance. Ambulance paramedics are licenced to administer adrenaline on site (as far as I know).

It is a terrible tragedy and my condolences go out to the family. But if you have life threathening food allergies you need to be very careful eating out. Especially when it was clearly listed on the restaurants menu that the sauce contained nuts!! Also anyone with a prescibed epipen should take with them whenever they are out espcially when eating out.

I do think there should be some change in legislation to allow pharmacisit to adminster an epipen in a life threathening situation (without a prescrition). But until then I can't fault the pharmacist for not giving it out, even though this has been an avoidable tragedy.

Anyway there is an official garda investigation into the case now. Also there is bound to be a coroners report and recommendations.
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

Naughtynatalie (21-12-13), Petros (21-12-13), Stella (21-12-13), warmcome (21-12-13)

Reviews

i would have gone in and got it myself if i could see it on the shelf.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (21-12-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    an antidote to nut allergy isn't to be confused with a narcotic. the pharmacist
    followed the book. it would have been ideal if the girl carried this medicine with her.

From the article it sounds like the girl was prescribed the medication but forgot to bring it with. Which is terribly unfortunate given that the one time she was most likely to need it, is when eating out. Both the girl and her family also appear to have missed the restaurants written warning that the sauce she had ordered contained nuts.
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

warmcome (21-12-13)

Blog Entries

Omfg! .... thats so sad

My sincere condolances go out to her family. RIP wee angel xxx

Last edited by Naughtynatalie; 21-12-13 at 12:23.

Is so sad,terrible.
    Busty babe 19 year old,lovely natural tits,naughty out going babe,here for short time.Give me a ring and book me wile you can.I am touring,so don not miss me as i always stay max one week in the same town.

Reviews

apparently the girl could have recieved the syringe without a prescription under 'emergency supply'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29857224.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cable87 View Post
    I heard about this briefly yesterday, but reading the full story makes me so angry. The man who refused to give them the epipen simply because the didn't have a prescription should know he's got the death of a 14 year old girl on his conscience. I'd love ask this 'humanitarian' if simply following 'policy' was worth this girls life...
    If he had given it to them and she survived he would have being shagged then as well. Pretty much like the Savita case. Its unfortunate but if this went to a court the family would be held as wrong. Its not the owner of the establishments fault and its not the pharmacists fault. Its the families because they neglected to check the ingredients enough. They even say this in that article. Its unfortunate but can and does happen.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    apparently the girl could have recieved the syringe without a prescription under 'emergency supply'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29857224.html
    Then in that case the pharmacist is wrong.

Westside.

Blog Entries

the one thing bothering me about this story form initial attack to death you dont have much time, why o why wasnt an ambulence called sooner which to where they where would have been minutes nd they have epipens on board

but in crisis people dont think,

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabel taylor For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (21-12-13), warmcome (21-12-13)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast