Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas, what Is It for you?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jaygoodtimes View Post
    Christmas as we know is a day for our lord () I know right lol !

How many of you actually see it as a religious day or dedicate it to jesus? And how many just see It as what It is, a materialistic day spent with friends and family?

Personally as a proud Atheist and dedicated hater of all things catholic, christain and whatever the fuck else you want to call it I see It as a day to get bladdered in order to forget its christmas, I just dont like the day or the holiday. People wll call me pessimistic but really I couldnt give a toss.

Happy Holidays folks
    ok lets switch a few words here.personally as a proud catholic and dedicated hater of all things protestant,nordys and whatever the fuck else you want to call it..
    see what i mean?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Ok folks let's no get to wrapped up in the religious debate ,let's agree to disagree ehhh .: doc
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

Reviews

the run up to Christmas accounts for half of annual sales for many retailers-don't we know it
    i think it has become far too commercial-couldn't imagine Jesus would be impressed by it nowadays.
    Last edited by warmcome; 17-12-13 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambam1 View Post
    ok lets switch a few words here.personally as a proud catholic and dedicated hater of all things protestant,nordys and whatever the fuck else you want to call it..
    see what i mean?
    To state that you are a dedicated hater of Protestants really takes the wind out of your argument and just makes you look like a hypocrite. I know the point you're trying to make, but it doesn't really work. I'm not a 'proud' Atheist, I am just an Atheist and it is because of the Catholic/Protestant divide that I think religion is a load of bollocks, but I would never tell someone which religion to follow and respect their beliefs. I was actually born into a Protestant family (my mother's side was Catholic turned Methodist), but I have never let that predetermine who I am or what I believe.
    Last edited by samlad; 17-12-13 at 16:39.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

Nikkita (18-12-13), ocred (20-12-13)

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    Christmas for me is spending time with the ones that you love... and then leaving as quickly as possible for a bit of peace and quiet It is also all about the pretty lights in the darkness, the shiny decorations in a fire-lit room on a cold Winter's evening, good food and festive songs
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolfeagle For This Useful Post:

Nikkita (18-12-13), samlad (17-12-13), warmcome (17-12-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    To state that you are a dedicated hater of Protestants really takes the wind out of your argument and just makes you look like a hypocrite. I know the point you're trying to make, but it doesn't really work. I'm not a 'proud' Atheist, I am just an Atheist and it is because of the Catholic/Protestant divide that I think religion is a load of bollocks, but I would never tell someone which religion to follow and respect their beliefs. I was actually born into a Protestant family (my mother's side was Catholic turned Methodist), but I have never let that predetermine who I am or what I believe.
    ah lad im not getting at you or anyone i just replaced some words,i dont have a problem with any religion,.. did you not notice i copied a sentence from the original post and changed a few words

Can somebody explain to me thepoint of being an atheist? As I see it, if an atheist is right, he (or she) is f~cked once he dies; but if he's wrong, he's probably f~cked too! Surely - as the old people said - it's better to live in hope than die in despair? If you spend your life believing in an afterlife and it turns out you're wrong, what have you lost? Seems to me like a free bet in the Grand National!

Quote Originally Posted by Bambam1 View Post
    ah lad im not getting at you or anyone i just replaced some words,i dont have a problem with any religion,.. did you not notice i copied a sentence from the original post and changed a few words
    I didn't notice, sorry fella. Like I say, I know the point you were making, but for me, it didn't work. Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeagle View Post
    Can somebody explain to me thepoint of being an atheist? As I see it, if an atheist is right, he (or she) is f~cked once he dies; but if he's wrong, he's probably f~cked too! Surely - as the old people said - it's better to live in hope than die in despair? If you spend your life believing in an afterlife and it turns out you're wrong, what have you lost? Seems to me like a free bet in the Grand National!
    Atheist means that you don't really believe in a higher being and life after death, etc, etc. I still live in hope; as far as I am concerned, once I snuff it, that's it. I could go all 'well, live life and party, we're going to die anyway', but on the contrary, I look at it like this; I'm only here once, so I'll look after myself and try to get as much out of life as possible. When I die, I'll be feeding plants, so life continues in one form or another, and I'm okay with that. I don't need religion in my life to be a good person; I still help my neighbour (and often do, bless her!), I teach my children to be open-minded and respect different religions, cultures and race, I give change to the homeless, donate to charity and help a stranger in need. Although these things may not necessarily epitomise religion per se I also think that if there is an afterlife (which I don't), then I don't think I would have to buy my way into heaven by praying in a ceremonial building every day/week/month or whatever, but I still want to be a good person.

It is a bit hypocritical that I love Christmas, but then again if it brings people together in harmony and gives people hope and a time to come together to celebrate, what is wrong with that? It makes the world a better place. People give more to charities, buy a toy for a child who wouldn't normally have a gift at Christmas and families can get together. On the other foot, people are beating each other up in Asda for the last Black Friday bargain, some people are depressed and lonely and.... wait for it.... families get together!

It is all about perspective.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

funlover12 (21-12-13), Nicole (17-12-13), Nikkita (18-12-13), ocred (20-12-13), SophieX (17-12-13)

Reviews

i don't like xmas day , i will be doing a college assignment that day

i love 26th as i go to the races lol & Jay you better be at the races on Boxing Day in Limerick lol

Reviews

Ahh, religion, the zimmerframe for the afterlife challenged

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast