Thread: Marvel takes on Islamophobia

Reviews

Post Marvel takes on Islamophobia

Just came across this article in the guardian. Marvel are expanding their universe to the Middle-East.

Marvel's newest hero is a Muslim girl.

Quote Originally Posted by theguardian
    Last week, Marvel announced the launch of the new title Ms Marvel, which focuses on superhero Kamala Khan. A teenage Muslim girl growing up in Jersey City, Kamala's mission is to attempt to put right the wrongs of the world.

It makes a few interesting points, foremost being the issues of a lack of role models for Muslim children to aspire to and the constant pulling from all directions that they are subjected to in their formative and more suggestible years.

As I read the article I had to play tug-of-war with my inner cynic who was telling me to listen to the money but my early Marvel memories won out, especially when reading this :

Quote Originally Posted by theguardian
    Perhaps the best example of "art imitating life" is in the case of the X-Men. Comic book critic Craig Shutt postulates that two of the world's most popular comic book characters are, in fact, based on two of the 20th century's most influential activists. He asserts that Martin Luther King provided the inspiration for Professor Charles Xavier – the pacifist who advocates methods of non-violence. Whilst Malcolm X is the basis for his long time friend and arch rival Magneto – who will achieve equality for mutantkind "by any means necessary"

I'm sure this will irk plenty of sanctimonious rabble rousers in far off lands but could this be a precursor to the peace we need? It's a long shot but wouldn't that be awesome?

My vote is yes.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiberjabber For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (17-11-13), P51D (13-11-13)

13 11 2013
    I think this is a positive thing but she's not the only Middle-Eastern superhero. There's a female mutant from Israel called Sabre who was with the X-Men (funnily enough) for awhile and they have a guy with an Arabian type-scimitar sword based in the Middle-East but I cannot remember his name. He crossed paths with the Hulk recently ( in the comics). Both, I guess, would be considered second-string characters but this new Ms. Marvel will be a major thing. Remember the impact Luke Cage and the Black Panther had when they first hit the scene.

The influence of the original 1960s X-Men cannot be over-estimated. They were about acceptance and tolerance at a time when America was going through the Civil Rights movement. Their message was it was ok to be different and that if people worked together, we could get along. Or something to that effect. Marvel were always good at that. DC heroes were fighting giant starfish and moving planets out of orbit until the Green Lantern/Green Arrow comic. All good stuff

Nestor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to P51D For This Useful Post:

Jiberjabber (13-11-13)

This is interesting to see.