Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-order Sales

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser View Post
    The new Wii systems weren't backward compatible anyway, no loss there. If anyone was going to buy a Wii I'd advise against the rvl-101 and recommend the older models for playing Gamecube games

I think another problem with Nintendo is their reputation for the family friendly console. They attracted a lot of people to the Wii who weren't traditionally gamers. Everyone from grandparents to grandkids could enjoy the experience. The problem is, gran and grandpa are not going to want a Wii U. The party game experience is fine for them. A lot of Wii users don't make console investments every generation. So now they're stuck with something that, as you said, isn't as powerful, as innovative, or isn't as popular with its previous user base. Still, I like the Wii for what it is.
    I think with the ZombiU game, Nintendo were trying to portray that they could be grown up too. However, much like the late title 'Rise of Nightmares' for the Xbox Kinect, they tried to combine survival horror with innovation through peripherals, which in my opinion, have a limited lifespan and the quality of games tend to be constricted because they have to tailor game play around the accessories. It's either too much or too little.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

earlyriser (22-10-13)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    I think with the ZombiU game, Nintendo were trying to portray that they could be grown up too. However, much like the late title 'Rise of Nightmares' for the Xbox Kinect, they tried to combine survival horror with innovation through peripherals, which in my opinion, have a limited lifespan and the quality of games tend to be constricted because they have to tailor game play around the accessories. It's either too much or too little.
    This is also true and it's probably putting off third party developers. Nintendo have in effect created the most expensive game controller which is in danger of not being utilised to whatever potential it was deemed to have. Of course there is the possibility that some genius game creator could get the very best out of the system and spark a frenzy of creativity from third parties. Perhaps a bit of "oh, we didn't know you could do it like that."

Canny wait.
    Last edited by TomEA; 22-10-13 at 16:39.
    “Nothing is more creative... nor destructive... than a brilliant mind with a purpose.”
    ― Dan Brown, Inferno

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TomEA For This Useful Post:

Lara Mills (22-10-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by PeepingTom View Post
    PS4 : total of 725,000 in the US.
    Xbox One : currently sits at 525,000 pre-orders.

read more : http://www.vgchartz.com/article/2513...-gains-ground/
    Anyone thinking of getting one? My xbox is little over a year old and i can't see a big enough advantage of getting either of these new consoles

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ManHold For This Useful Post:

earlyriser (23-10-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post
    Well to you! You could at least have let me believe that I was right

Okay, so it should now work out:

$290,000,000 for PS4 and $262,500,000 for X Box. Happy?
    Well done

On more serious matters, I've been entertaining the idea of maybe switching over to Sony. But there's 2 stumbling blocks:

1. The controller. I just cannot get used to it. I find the position of the left thumb stick on the Xbox controller much more convenient, particularly for shooting games (and I like my shooting games very much). I find it much harder to aim precisely on the Playstation as the stick is in the middle of the controller. The triggers also doesn't feel right.

2. My account. I don't want to lose my achievements/gamer score and my online friends. I have hundreds of people on my friend list that I play FIFA, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Gears of War, etc.. online with. I'd have to start from scratch if I do switch over.

Decisions, decisions..............

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser View Post
    This is also true and it's probably putting off third party developers. Nintendo have in effect created the most expensive game controller which is in danger of not being utilised to whatever potential it was deemed to have. Of course there is the possibility that some genius game creator could get the very best out of the system and spark a frenzy of creativity from third parties. Perhaps a bit of "oh, we didn't know you could do it like that."
    It's not just a controller, it also allows you to continue playing the game off screen, so if you're going to bed and want to play for a little while you can.

The wii u will also have netflix, youtube, hulu, internet browser, it is like a tablet.

I love, love Nintendo, can't stress it enough.

The problem with Nintendo is it never shook off what happened when the video game crash happened, Nintendo would not allow any games on it's console without the approval, the nintendo quality seal, I think this has led Nintendo to become really defensive about any hardware they release, not allowing developers get their hands on it to work with unlike ps4 who allow developers and publishers go at it.

I don't think Nintendo are doomed I don't like all the "nintendo are failing" it's just ridiculous, they have the 3DS selling 32.5 million units, preorders bigger than the wii and we all know how successful the wii was.

I do get angry in frustration sometimes at Nintendo for their ignorance, on the wii they dismissed the idea that people would would play HD Blu-rays, they are notorious for being sluggish and slow on moving with the times. They do have some of the best reliability, you don't hear of Yellow Light Of Death, or the Red one on the Xbox, the build quality is amazing

On a side note, if you have netflix and haven't gotten a Home theatre pc but would like to watch netflix on your tv, you can get a wii for like 40e plug it into your tv and wah-hey you have netflix, not a bad reason to pick up a wii!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Lad View Post
    It's not just a controller, it also allows you to continue playing the game off screen, so if you're going to bed and want to play for a little while you can.

The wii u will also have netflix, youtube, hulu, internet browser, it is like a tablet.

The problem with Nintendo is it never shook off what happened when the video game crash happened, Nintendo would not allow any games on it's console without the approval, the nintendo quality seal, I think this has led Nintendo to become really defensive about any hardware they release, not allowing developers get their hands on it to work with unlike ps4 who allow developers and publishers go at it.

I don't think Nintendo are doomed I don't like all the "nintendo are failing" it's just ridiculous, they have the 3DS selling 32.5 million units, preorders bigger than the wii and we all know how successful the wii was.

I do get angry in frustration sometimes at Nintendo for their ignorance, on the wii they dismissed the idea that people would would play HD Blu-rays, they are notorious for being sluggish and slow on moving with the times. They do have some of the best reliability, you don't hear of Yellow Light Of Death, or the Red one on the Xbox, the build quality is amazing

On a side note, if you have netflix and haven't gotten a Home theatre pc but would like to watch netflix on your tv, you can get a wii for like 40e plug it into your tv and wah-hey you have netflix, not a bad reason to pick up a wii!
    That aspect of the controller really doesn't grab me at all. I know they have talked a lot about using the gamepad to continue playing if the TV was being used by someone else, but I have a DS and PSP. If I want to play on a handheld, I'll use those. I'd rather see more focus on gameplay uses, but I don't know if there are a lot of games, outside rpgs or strategy games, that could get the full potential out of it. In action games, say Arkham City where you use the pad to map gadgets, use the sonar, investigate crime scenes, I can imagine having to look down at the pad every time which is only going to interrupt the flow. I'm not sure how intuitive that would be.

Nintendo are not failing, I think their expectations may have been optimistic because of the success of the Wii. I don't want to see them fail either. I've been a fan since the NES. With no Atari consoles anymore, no SEGA consoles, I regard Nintendo as the last true gaming developer, creating games and consoles just for pure enjoyment. They have a vision for how their company should work and they stick to it.

And there's never really a bad reason to pick a Wii (make sure to pick up The Last Story and Return to Dreamland too)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Lad View Post

With Xbox, you can do the same things using the Smart Glass app, and many people already own a tablet, smartphone or iOS phone, so perhaps the concept of shelling out for another tablet exclusively for a console puts people off (i.e. the app accommodates the device for the console rather than buying a device just for the console)? Again, it is an innovation (continuing a game when the tele's switched off) but really what Nintendo have done is combine a mobile gaming device with a games console. I would also assume that when you are just using the tablet, you don't have the benefit of the simultaneous features in-game, such as a map on the tablet screen whilst playing on the television?

Again, perhaps Nintendo are fine with tailoring games for a specific market? We talk about how many units of hardware they sell but ultimately maximum profit margins come from the software, hence the reason why Nintendo want their seal of approval on their products; they want to guarantee the quality of their games, reinforce their brand and ensure that they receive a big slice of the profit-pie. At least Nintendo are fulfilling that demand for innovation and family-friendly titles, unlike Sony and Microsoft who have so far fallen flat with the Eye Toy, Playstation Move, Microsoft steering wheels and Xbox Kinect. Other things like Kiss Lips and Singstar are great for parties and family get-togethers, but after Christmas, these peripherals tend to reside in the cupboards until next year.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ManHold View Post
    Anyone thinking of getting one? My xbox is little over a year old and i can't see a big enough advantage of getting either of these new consoles
    I'm of a similar line of thinking. I have no reason to part with my hard earned cash for either of these consoles just yet. Game wise they'd be the same, technologically speaking, it's the entertainment options that would probably make up your mind. I'm certainly going to wait at least til next year before shelling out.

Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    Well done

On more serious matters, I've been entertaining the idea of maybe switching over to Sony. But there's 2 stumbling blocks:

1. The controller. I just cannot get used to it. I find the position of the left thumb stick on the Xbox controller much more convenient, particularly for shooting games (and I like my shooting games very much). I find it much harder to aim precisely on the Playstation as the stick is in the middle of the controller. The triggers also doesn't feel right.

2. My account. I don't want to lose my achievements/gamer score and my online friends. I have hundreds of people on my friend list that I play FIFA, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Gears of War, etc.. online with. I'd have to start from scratch if I do switch over.

Decisions, decisions..............
    I guess it depends how important those factor are for you. But if you really enjoy the experience Microsoft gives you with the 360, there's no real reason not to buy an Xbox One. But don't forget to keep your old Xbox 360 for any digital or retail games you might want to play every now and then.

X-Box and Playstation fans in real life:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

earlyriser (23-10-13)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast