Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pride

Ah, to do lists... If everyone worked to these the world would be a much better place. I live by to do lists, at home or at work it doesn't matter. If it needs doing then write it down and it will get done, simples. And it has nothing to do with memory, I actually have a freakishly good memory but because I write everything down I never have to 'remember' to do anything. Trust me, try it... It will change your life!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volcano81 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (12-10-13), thewren (13-10-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Volcano81 View Post
    Ah, to do lists... If everyone worked to these the world would be a much better place. I live by to do lists, at home or at work it doesn't matter. If it needs doing then write it down and it will get done, simples. And it has nothing to do with memory, I actually have a freakishly good memory but because I write everything down I never have to 'remember' to do anything. Trust me, try it... It will change your life!!
    I recently had a few jobs that really needed to be done and couldn't be done in one day, so I wrote them down and the satisfaction of putting a pen mark through on completion, was rather rewarding. I do have a tendency to lose lists though, which kind of defeats the object. I had to write these lists in a big hard back book in order to not lose them.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

thewren (13-10-13), Volcano81 (12-10-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I am afraid you are doing better than me.

lists, what are they

organiser, much too complicated

i am only a man, i am sure you know which bit does the thinking.

maybe you should teach me some lessons on getting organised
    At my earliest convenience I'll be giving you lessons alright xx
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Volcano81 View Post
    I'm right there with you ! xx

Freakish memory !
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

thewren (13-10-13), Volcano81 (12-10-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I'm right there with you ! xx

Freakish memory !
    Can be a blessing and a curse but wouldn't change it for anything!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Volcano81 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (12-10-13)

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Is there more pride in having spent a lot of money for something, in believing you have sourced the best for a high profile and professional look.

Or...

Is there more pride in taking full ownership of your work and spending the time and having the motivation to learn the skills to enable you to be completely Independent with every aspect of your work?

One is starting from the bottom and working your way up. Maybe making mistakes on the way, but continually learning and taking full ownership of your mistakes and successes, while the other is paying for the best to get it right, but relying on them completely to make changes and get everything right for you. You are paying for someone else's skills to represent you and make you who you are in the public eye.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with either method, but coming from the latter option, I do take a lot of personal pride in the way I work my business and present myself. I spend hours learning new skills from book keeping to photography and where I may show my faults and imperfections, I hope that those are also the qualities that set me apart.

Is one better than the other? Is the person using their own skills and ability nothing but an amateur and the one spending the money taking more care of their work, or is it just a different way of working?

Then I suppose the final question is... Does the way you represent yourself make you better at your job, or would you use the reviews to decide on that one?
    Well, I'm currently working on the second method and whilst it is, at times, very tough and I may sometimes think I've made a big mistake in pursuing this ridiculous endeavour, the little achievements, the tiny victories, make the process all the more satisfying. You're creating something that's yours and learning a lot along the way. Of course there's no reason why you can't employ someone with specific skills to do a job for you - if your pride is preventing you from seeking help when you absolutely need it, then it's a problem. I'll admit to being prone to that kind of mistake.

Funnily enough, with my hobbies I tend to be far more critical of myself. I'm a wannabe artist, photographer, sometimes a wannabe poet :P . Right-brained there, apparently. Because art and writing are reflective of mood and mind, the product of your labours can be genius one day and amateurish the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    http://capone.mtsu.edu/studskl/hd/LRBrain.html
    Apologies, but that's a pet peeve of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    If you sometimes write lists, but generally act on impulse using your mood and enthusiasm to guide you, is that balanced or right side, with a touch of the left?
    I think you'd be classed as right brain-dominant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser View Post
    Well, I'm currently working on the second method and whilst it is, at times, very tough and I may sometimes think I've made a big mistake in pursuing this ridiculous endeavour, the little achievements, the tiny victories, make the process all the more satisfying. You're creating something that's yours and learning a lot along the way. Of course there's no reason why you can't employ someone with specific skills to do a job for you - if your pride is preventing you from seeking help when you absolutely need it, then it's a problem. I'll admit to being prone to that kind of mistake.

Funnily enough, with my hobbies I tend to be far more critical of myself. I'm a wannabe artist, photographer, sometimes a wannabe poet :P . Right-brained there, apparently. Because art and writing are reflective of mood and mind, the product of your labours can be genius one day and amateurish the next.

Apologies, but that's a pet peeve of mine.

I think you'd be classed as right brain-dominant.
    Omg! I can relate with every word you have written. I am also very slow to ask for help if needed and that might be a little down to foolish pride. Sometimes it is hard to admit defeat, but that is also down to determination and not wanting to give up.

Also agreed on things sometimes looking great and other times amateurish. You are always taking a risk when you are self educating and learning on the job so to speak, but hopefully it pays dividends in the end.

Oh right brain dominant. Does that mean I have a little whip in my head and the left side is getting corporal punishment?

Reviews

.i think there is definitely more personal satisfaction,and a litle pride, in learning something and achieving it yourself; buying or employing the services of others will not give you, Kate, the same inward feeling.But there is no harm in paying for a professional for some of the "tricky bits", or if you are caught time-wise.(nails?, haha,,)

Personally, i enjoy most types of diy, but shy away from electrical stuff as i am ignorant of that area.
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. ~Søren Kierkegaard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12