Thread: Question on Risking Exposure

Default Question on Risking Exposure

Like to get the thoughts and feedback of you guys...

Very long story short. I did a search a few weeks ago and stumpled upon a very old forum post on a site much like this, it is now out of business a few years. I did nothing wrong, but it could be very embarrassing for me, my family and damaging to my career.

It would be very sensitive and a person with a little techie know how could quite easily connect it back to me. I emailed the site admin, wasn't really expecting a reply since the site had been largely dead for at least 2 yrs, but got a reply this morning.

They said they'd delete my user name and all my old posts, no problem, if I email them from the username which seems logical. Only that exposes me to them. They might not be as decent and upstanding as you guys here, they could potentially blackmail me.

So the question, do I just let it be and hope it doesn't come up? It hasn't ever been an issue since I've been ignorant of it for 6 years, but always have it hanging over my head, skeleton in the closet.

Or do I go for broke, risk the very thing I'm trying hardest to avoid and trust in the other webmaster to do what they've said they'll do?

Also for the mods, if someone requested you to delete all of their posts and threads, and they mailed you from their account, would you just do it? Does that seem too easy?

Damn stressed and more than a little paranoid here. Suggestions appreciated!

Blog Entries

Hi Blue nero.

I fully understand your need to delete the old forum stuff etc,
    the only way anyone can trace that its you is if you used an email address that you still use as your main one ( Like people you know) , actually know that email address and they can google it, the post might come up, altho if the site has been dormant for 6 years, it most likely won't show on google as so long dead.)
    If that's the case, and after 6 years, its doubtful anyone would be checking on your email address, unless you are now having an affair!
    Unless the material posted was extremely offensive and I don't know exactly what is was, your user email etc is already on there , why don't you try emailing from a new email anon address to the webmaster and tell him your old email is out of use ?

Hope that helps

Dee.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dee dee For This Useful Post:

Rachel Divine (11-09-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Nero View Post

Or do I go for broke, risk the very thing I'm trying hardest to avoid and trust in the other webmaster to do what they've said they'll do?

Also for the mods, if someone requested you to delete all of their posts and threads, and they mailed you from their account, would you just do it?
    for some reason this site will not do this. and they also will not delete an account they will ban an account on request but not delete one.

Quote Originally Posted by jayf1 View Post
    for some reason this site will not do this. and they also will not delete an account they will ban an account on request but not delete one.
    Yep I saw that. Which is the exact reason why their response to take it down no problem worried me.

Are you still paranoid if they really are out to get ya??

Maybe I'm just looking the gift horse in the mouth

Hi Dee,

The post does show on google, that's the whole problem, the one particularly dodgy post too, which with a wee bit of search knowledge could be linked to me. It was a techie friend of mine who found it, when they were showing me how easy it was to research people and all sorts of background details. They laughed and didn't realise it was connected to me thank fook. But it was terrifying.

Thanks for your thoughts Dee, much appreciated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue_Nero For This Useful Post:

dee dee (12-09-13)