Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Over rated actors and actresses

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Some great debate here. I was more or less addressing the more recent output of the big three, and am indeed open to having my mind changed. I'm not saying they are bad, perhaps not quite as great as they are generally considered.

Jack, is well, jack as far as I can see mostly plays the same type of character. Interesting and charismatic, true, but the likes of Morgan freeman has played a greater variety of characters.
    DeNero, a fine actor it has to be said, but he has been phoning in his performances in recent years. Silver linings playbook was an excellent film, but I think he was out acted by Bradley cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and others in it. He was totally out acted by sylvester Stallone in Copland.
    As for Pacino.....he was even unconvincing playing himself in jack and Jill. I consider him a hack and a ham and of the three by far and away the most over rated.
    No, it's true they're not a great as they once were. Starlight fading with age and all that. The thing with movies, though, is you can watch them in those roles any time. The movies may date a bit but I don't think the performances do, and it's only fair to include an actor's back catalogue when contemplating their greatness or lack thereof.

I agree somewhat with your opinion of Robert De Niro but, like I said I'm willing to let him have that easy paycheque. Jennifer Lawrence was the stand out in Silver Linings and Bradley Cooper surprised me with his performance. And I agree completely with you about Sylvester Stallone in Copland. Stallone, I think, is a better actor and writer than he's given credit for. He's been stuck with action hero status though and he's made a decent living from it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to earlyriser For This Useful Post:

dob (29-08-13)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678