View Poll Results: Would you agree with an airline 'fat tax'?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 28.57%
  • No

10 71.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport 'fat tax'?

Default Airport 'fat tax'?

Okay, a very sensitive topic here. I saw on the news this morning that 1 in 3 airlines are considering implementing a 'pay as you weigh' system for their passengers, as people who are overweight cost more to carry in terms of fuel consumption.

There was a discussion between two ladies regarding this issue; the lady against the 'fat tax' said touched on a point that said that people are getting bigger and airlines should tailor their aeroplanes to accommodate this, where as the other lady stated that others should not have to carry for people who don't want to eat healthy or exercise, and that if they want to live that lifestyle, it is only right that they should pay their own way in fuel costs.

The lady against the 'fat tax' system was overweight herself and the lady for it was slim, but had once been obese herself and had shed the weight by changing her lifestyle. The lady against argued that muscle is denser than fat and tall people will weigh more and take up more leg room. The lady for this tax claimed that when a larger person is walking up the aisle of the plane, everyone in single seats feel dread that they might end up sitting next to this person.

According to the Telegraph, half of Britons actually support the idea of a 'fat tax':

Quote Originally Posted by The Telegraph
    This week an academic in Norway proposed a “pay as you weigh” scheme that would see airlines charging overweight fliers more to help recoup the cost of the extra fuel required to carry them.

In the Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, Bharat P Bhatta suggested three methods: a straightforward price per kilogram; a fixed low fare, with heavier passengers paying a surcharge and lighter passengers being offered a discount; or the introduction of three bands – heavy, normal and light, with passengers charged accordingly.

His suggestions received the backing of 48 per cent of those questioned in a poll by the website Holiday Extras. The plans received slightly more support among men, with 51 per cent in favour, compared to 43 per cent of women.

“Sitting next to a large person on a plane can sometimes reduce the space that you have to relax,” said James Lewis of Holiday Extras. “If we have to pay extra for excess baggage, maybe we should pay extra for excess body weight.”

The problem of passenger obesity has become an increasingly pertinent issue for airlines in recent years. Adult obesity rates in the UK have almost quadrupled in the last quarter of a century, with around 22 per cent of Britons now considered obese. That compares to around 14 per cent of the European Union’s adult population, and more than 32 per cent of Americans.

“I think the simplest way to implement this would be for passengers to declare their weight when buying a plane ticket,” Dr Bhatta of Fjordane University College told The Daily Telegraph. “This would save time and eliminate expense. At the airport airlines could randomly select passengers and if they lied about their weight they would have to pay the fat fare and a penalty.”

Ian Yeoman, the editor of the Journal, endorsed Dr Bhatta’s proposal.

"For airlines, every extra kilogram means more expensive jet fuel must be burned, which leads to CO2 emissions and financial cost," he said.

"As the airline industry is fraught with financial difficulties, marginally profitable and has seen exponential growth in the last decade, maybe they should be looking to introduce scales at the check-in."
    (article from here)

Is this discrimination or do you agree with this? Please be respectful in your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    The lady for this tax claimed that when a larger person is walking up the aisle of the plane, everyone in single seats feel dread that they might end up sitting next to this person.

Is this discrimination or do you agree with this? Please be respectful in your comments.
    I honestly feel that way when I see most people walking down the plane. If they look happy and smiley, then it doesn't bother me if they sit next to me. If they look miserable, then it worries me, because I've had so many people sitting next to me on a plane whinging about this or that... just shut up and enjoy the flight!

Planes have now got "extra leg room" seats for those who want extra leg room. Can't they make the planes and the seats bigger for those needing it?

It is discrimination. I am technically overweight/obese because of my height. Will they use BMI to calculate it, even though BMI is a load of rubbish?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

Clyde (19-08-13), Nicole (19-08-13), nikole_vb3 (19-08-13)

Reviews

they have people weighing their suitcases at home and removing items to avoid surcharges.
    more weight = more fuel = more costs, so, i suppose this is where discrimination meets common sense?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Yes but as Lara just said some people are just big, I have a mate 6'9" size 17 shoe has to go to London to buy shoes, he is 21 stone with no fat a monster of a man should he have to pay extra? On another note he's a scratch Golfer drives to ball off the tee and nearly lands on the green on a four par his swing is that long lol.
    when they weigh the suitcase-it's to access how heavy it is, not what constitutes that weight (fat/muscle) etc

the weight costs more fuel/money, this is the issue (their weight whilst on the aeroplane).

i wudnt agree, ive been at my heaviest 24stone now alot less, but i alway fit my arse into the seat, now with room

however, im never going to be under 11stone with my height and natural build, im very tall so leg room is more issue than my ass size, people with height are not going weigh little im sorry, the healthy weight for a girl my height according to our very outdated and silly bmi system, (which puts most rubgy players as obease and above as doesnt count natural build and muscle mass) is 11stone 9pounds my personal aim is 12 and half my doctor gave me as my healthy weight,

when i was competing rowing i was 13stone 4lbs or something, but had 12% body fat, my legs and arms then where pure muscle u cud never call me fat, big yes but fat no, but of course i let it all go to shit and working on getting it back now

plus some people weigh heavy my sister is 5ft 8 and a size 8 to 10 she weighs the ideal weight for my height and is obease by her bmi,

if u can fit in your seat i dont see an issue, but yeah if ur ass is taken up two seats its different, but most obease by bmi willl not have this issue, as bmi is outdated,

i like on transport to get two seats for comfort but that my height so i can put my legs to the side or curl up in a ball but ive shared the 2 seats on buses with no real issue, even sitting beside my then 6ft 4 boyfriend who has broad shoulders

that be my two cents on it, as i will be paying a fat tax even at my ideal weight
    ********************THE WHORIN AND TOURING NEWS************************
    no more news thats all folks, it was a pleasure

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirsemac For This Useful Post:

Clyde (19-08-13), Nicole (19-08-13), warmcome (19-08-13)

Its the excess baggage I have a problem with. I blame the nice boutiques abroad..... 120 euro for being 6 kilos over really is a joke.....

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SophieX For This Useful Post:

Clyde (19-08-13), mature abby (19-08-13), Rachel Divine (19-08-13)

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    when they weigh the suitcase-it's to access how heavy it is, not what constitutes that weight (fat/muscle) etc

the weight costs more fuel/money, this is the issue (their weight whilst on the aeroplane).
    Does that mean that busty ladies will also be penalised?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post
    Does that mean that busty ladies will also be penalised?
    depends on what the scales says, dear.

so will it be anyone over say 8stone gets taxs, or will they be using bmi? otherwise alot of tall folk will suffer and bmi alot of normal people will too

public weighting at airports i cud see been pleasent
    ********************THE WHORIN AND TOURING NEWS************************
    no more news thats all folks, it was a pleasure

I dont agree with that.The programme wouldn't just affect overweight people. It would affect tall people, muscled people, pregnant women, and men generally, as they tend to weigh more then women.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sophia For This Useful Post:

Nicole (19-08-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast